Getting to know Rick Gelinas/ Excellent Supply Company

Mikey P

Administrator
1. How did the Excellent Supply Co come about?

2. Describe the average day at your company.

3. Please list the products and or services you provide.

4. Where would you like to see your company in five years?

5. How do the Bulletin Boards help your company?

6. What is the biggest challenge you face on a daily basis?

7. What frustrates most about your business?

8. How much would you pay for a video of Jimmy shampooing his living room carpet?

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
1. How did the Excellent Supply Co come about?

I started my commercial cleaning business back in 1982. A friend had a successful cleaning business and I wanted to start a business, so he showed me the ropes. I was 21 years old when I launched my janitorial business. I did all types of cleaning including a little bit of commercial carpet cleaning. Then in 1983 another friend helped me launch into commercial carpet cleaning. He had a lot of retail carpet cleaning in my area and he was subbing it out to me. From that point on I was bit, and I’ve loved commercial carpet cleaning ever since.

The encap supply business grew out of my first business. During the years cleaning commercial carpets I struggled to get commercial glue down carpets to clean up consistently well. I was a big believer in trying to run my business with good duplicatable “systems” (i.e. the E-Myth). I was beginning to hire guys to clean carpets for us, and I was going nuts with inconsistencies cleaning some of the commercial glue down carpets that we serviced.

Through the first 15 years, I kept SEARCHING. Eventually I discovered the Cimex and crystallizing encap chemistry. Alas, we were finally able to achieve consistently good and profitable results! I started talking about our success on the message boards and of course the die hard HWE guys ripped me apart. But slowly the idea caught on. Today encap is helping cleaners around the world to achieve greater results cleaning commercial carpets.

So it was from that humble beginning that Excellent Supply developed.

2. Describe the average day at your company.

I do some volunteer work most mornings so I normally get to work around noon. I work with customers questions about the products and general cleaning related stuff. I have a small staff of great people who work together as a fun little family, so it affords me a level of freedom to tackle the creative side of the business.

3. Please list the products and or services you provide.

Releasit Products:
Encap-Clean and Encap-Clean DS --- Crystallizing encap shampoo.
Encap-Punch --- Crystallizing encap pre-spray, HWE detergent, bonnet/pad cleaner.
Encap-HydrOx --- Crystallizing hydrogen peroxide based encap detergent.
Encap-basic --- Crystallizing value-priced encap shampoo.
Encap-Spot --- Crystallizing multi-purpose encap spot cleaner.
Soileze --- Protector that is compatible with the crystallizing polymer in the Releasit line.

We also carry some of the CTI products and Odorcide.

Equipment:
We've ben expanding our line of equipment. Of course, we handle the Cimex Scrubbers. And we’ve expanded to handle a nice full line of commercial equipment too. HOS Orbot OP's, Challenger OP's, Windsor, Mytee, Kleenrite, Brush & Clean, Sprint, Koblenz, Steamin Demon, Lindhaus, Link Ramps, TurboForce, etc.

4. Where would you like to see your company in five years?

I started Excellent Supply out of my garage. We’re now in a small office and warehouse that we've completely outgrown, so we are currently looking for a larger location. We’ve expanded our line to the point that we really need more office and warehouse space. Five years from now I’d like to see encapsulation technology being utilized to a greater extent in all areas of carpet care (and I’d like to play a part in making that happen).

5. How do the Bulletin Boards help your company?

Excellent Supply grew out of my involvement on the message boards. So I'd say that it's helped a lot.

6. What is the biggest challenge you face on a daily basis?

Gravity.

7. What frustrates you most about your business?

I really love my business! I guess if I had to pick something, it would have to be not having enough time to get everything I want done.

8. How much would you pay for a video of Jimmy shampooing his living room carpet?

I didn’t know that his trailer had a designated “living room”. :wink:

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
encapman said:

I didn’t know that his trailer had a designated “living room”. :wink:

That answer was priceless :lol:

John Watson

Helen and I First met Rick and Nancy in Fresno at Yasers winterfest, Liked what I saw then, Like what I see now, Great friends, Great people to do buisness with. Better to have Sushi with!!! We missed seeing Nancy at Connections!!!!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I first met Rick, & then Nancy, at the Riviera Connections four years ago.

Same as John, I liked what I heard when I asked specific questions.

If I asked an awkward question (that I knew the aswer to), I got an honest reply.

The man has integrity which is sadly lacking with some suppliers.

Over the years he has unknowingly helped me enormously.

On the Encapboard, he is always there to help others out with their problems, be it encap; or any other method.

The look on his face in Cairns was even more priceless than the thought of Jimmy's "living room".

Thaks Nancy & Rick.

Ooroo,

:wink:

The Preacher

i like to nit pick him, but Rick is good people.

he's a small JonDon if you ask me. his companies customer service is some of the best in the biz, and i think that starts at the top.

for a commercial cleaner, you'd have a hard time finding a better resource to answer your questions than Rick and his staff. his brother is also a great resource for the hard floor stuff!

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
"he's a small JonDon if you ask me"

We'll take that as a compliment, Danny, and hopefully Rick will too!

Steve Toburen
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS Seriously, there is no one who knows commercial better than Rick. And he is a really nice guy. And I will second the nomination Rick's brother, David. We enjoyed having David in SFS a while back and his knowledge on stone care is impressive.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
we dont buy a ton of encap stuff but do buy some a few times a month..they always seem to know who we are and act like we are their biggest customer. always ready with answers and ideas. great customer service.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Yes I do love cycling (like Bill).
I also love Guiness, and Starbucks espresso.
But I think I'm taller than Bill is.

JonDon is the MacDaddy in the supply business, so it's nice to hear the comparison.
I don't know that we'll ever get to be the size of JonDon. That's not really my goal.
I'm just having fun doing what I love. And we're paying the bills, so I'm content.

clean one

I meet Rick & Nancy way back when, in Pensacola,Fl @ a Winterfest it was freezing there. All the guys that drove there vans were buying ext cords and heaters to keep TM from freezing up.
I also don't get a lot of comm work but when ever i see Nancy and/or Rick you would think i was there best cust. Or call the office they know who you are.

Ades

Jim Hadley

It would be my pleasure to recommend Rick and his company to anyone. Great service, professionalism, accompanied by a wealth of knowlege about our industry. I have really enjoyed the conversations with Rick and look foreward to seeing him at the various industry events. He is a professional.
Jim Hadley

Jim1

Rick is First Class all the way, Ive been using the Cimex for a few years now,
Cant picture life without it now, About half of my working hours now are spent using the Cimex..

you've earned it Rick,

Jim McDannel

Mikey P

Administrator
A few more for Rick..

How would you improve the Cimex?

Have you done side by sides with a 20 inch OP machine & pads to see which carpet looked better and lasted longer?

How long till something better comes along?

Why CTI? Wouldn't you want something more compatible with Shampooing?

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
How would you improve the Cimex?

I honestly like them the way they are. I suppose it would be cool if the company was taken over by Apple and the Cimex machines became as refined as an iMac or an iPod.

Have you done side by sides with a 20 inch OP machine & pads to see which carpet looked better and lasted longer?

No I haven't.

How long till something better comes along?

The Cimex has been around for 75 years (they started in 1933). If someone is going to improve on the planetary design, I imagine it'll probably happen sometime within the next 75 years.

Why CTI? Wouldn't you want something more compatible with Shampooing?

CTI makes the best specialty spotters on the market. We considered re-inventing the wheel, and release our own specialty spotters. But I'm lazy. CTI spotters are already the best, everybody knows that. So why not sell the best? And by the way, most of their spotters can be used with "shampoo" - Just use it very sparingly, blot up as much as possible, and then encap like normal. You can also follow most of their spotters by blotting with Encap-Spot, which doesn't require rinsing.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
encapman said:
- Just use it very sparingly, blot up as much as possible, and then encap like normal. You can also follow most of their spotters by blotting with Encap-Spot, which doesn't require rinsing.

If you'll carefully follow the directions that I outlined here you'll be just fine.

Mikey P

Administrator
Can you tell us more about your brother's involvement with your biz?

Are you selling stone care products, is he or maybe both of you are?

Does your cleaning biz do any stone work?

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Dave and I are working on a project together at http://www.StoneCareDirect.com. Dave is handling the technical stuff for StoneCareDirect. Unfortunately I haven't had the time I'd like to commit to StoneCareDirect. And Dave's running full tilt with his business too. He manages to stay busy all year round doing stone restoration work. So StoneCareDirect still needs some refining. However we have a nice basic group of stone care products on the site so far.

Dave's an artist when it comes to stone. He's basically insane when it comes to stone. As for my service company, we've performed only a limited amount of stone care - mostly just polishing and very little grinding. I love commercial carpet, Dave loves stone - and it's probably better that way. 8)

I would like to say tat Rick G is a stand up supplier. He is a man of his word and his staff do the hard things and follow through with what they say !!

Even with the screwing I got on my iCapsol I would still use Rick due to the way they worked on this problem with me.

Thanks Rick !!

richard

Name
Richard Weedman
If you want to improve the Cimex, add a cold beverage holder and an iPod with an FM tuner.
Oh, holder for a spotter bottle or two. The cold beverage holder for sure.

Mike Hogan

Rick is one of the most honest and helpful suppliers I have ever met. Always willing to help,even when there is no
financial gain. That is what separates him from a salesman to a trusted advisor. I am happy to call he and Nancy
friends.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom