Gliders

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Since I was unable to find a nice 17" orbital machine used, I was forced to splurge on a new Orbitec Defender, thanks to a great deal from Cobbs.
Whats the deal with the gliders?
Is Challenger the only system that uses them? Why?
Who uses them? Who does not?
For those that do, when do you use them, and when do you not use them?

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
They can be used under any op.

They help the bonnet to "glide" over the carpet surface without bogging down.

In effect, you are taking away a portion of the contact scrubbing area of the bonnet, and making that area a smooth area that won't grab the carpet.

Hope you can understand my jargon.

Ooroo,

Scott Rogers

The Defender and Brute style machines dont need gliders. You need them on the old style op machines that dont keep the wheels on the ground.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Scott Rogers said:
The Defender and Brute style machines dont need gliders. You need them on the old style op machines that dont keep the wheels on the ground.

That is not entirely true... Even with op machines that have wheels on the ground, one can and should use gliders in certain situations. I have 3 different thickness gliders for my Orbot and use them on some carpets, usually on thick residential type carpets.

Scott Rogers

I have had my Brute for over 5 years and my Defender for 3. I have never needed to use a glider with either of them. my old style Hrubi always needed a glider.

Why do you need to use a glider on the Orbot? Motor Bogging? control issues? too much fiber distortion? Could it possibly be a issue of running your pads to dry or possibly the wrong type of pad for the particular carpet?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Scott Rogers said:
I have had my Brute for over 5 years and my Defender for 3. I have never needed to use a glider with either of them. my old style Hrubi always needed a glider.

Why do you need to use a glider on the Orbot? Motor Bogging? control issues? too much fiber distortion? Could it possibly be a issue of running your pads to dry or possibly the wrong type of pad for the particular carpet?

I don't use them too often. Motor never bogs down- I only use it to make sure I don't have spring time on the carpet by the time I finish. (no blooming in other words)

Scott Rogers

How many different pad types do you carry? I typically have 5 on the truck, 2 get used often ( cotton blend and tuways) 3 are special use only (microfiber/ white VCT and Cotton) If you run your Blends or Cottons a bit wetter you wont bloom most rugs, those that are too sensitive to that I run tuways or microfiber.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I carry 2 different Superzorbs and agicleans. I need some better pads I know...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom