Glides

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
So I am curious - who here (vendors and manufacturers excluded) think glides truly help them clean better? I would love to hear the pro's and cons.
What are the prices these days for them? We often showcase products for our contractors and I am wondering if it is really worth our presenting it to them?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The glide, in combination with the angled jets, the 2" piping, and overall design of the greenhorn makes this wand exactly what I wanted.
A glide on my old wands improved its extraction as well.
I get improved dry times over the slot.

More so, it takes the stress and strain out of pushing the wand which has incredible value in itself.

Steve1

I have found that glides do not clean better, whenever I remove the glide, my filter basket is always loaded with more crap for that day. They do seem to dry a little faster though.

hogjowl

Idiot™
If you have a 36 or 45 blower, then get a glide and be prepared to vacuum like hell.

If you have an ample blower, then ditch the glide. (Unless you are a wimp and can't pull the wand without it.)

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
hogjowl said:
If you have a 36 or 45 blower, then get a glide and be prepared to vacuum like hell.

If you have an ample blower, then ditch the glide. (Unless you are a wimp and can't pull the wand without it.)

whatever pork butt...

my 36 does just fine, and i dont vac all the time....

just use modified plumbing and 2.5 out on anything more then 100'

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
gregcole said:
So I am curious - who here (vendors and manufacturers excluded) think glides truly help them clean better? I would love to hear the pro's and cons.

I do.
simply because they ease the chore of wanding.
fatigue isn't conducive to quality.
Glides made the job easier.
They can also eliminate and/or reduce wand chatter that happens on many type carpets

the drying time claims are over blown IMO
they certainly are on cut piles anyway.
I figure the dudes claiming dramatic decreased dry times have never done side by side evaluations on same room, same wand, same time, same way (I have) or they'd know better.
Or it's simply a mater of.....for the first time in their miserable lives, they're not to lazy to add dry strokes.....

Most are going by how the carpet "feels" a minute after the wand has run over it.
The difference does "feel" dramatic right away, but feel both sides 30 minutes latter and you won't be able to tell the difference.
The exception would be some carpet types that the wand "locks down" on and airflow is choked off.
(ie...a worn CGD)
A glide is a benefit to dry times then, cause it can aid in preventing total lock down due to more lip surface area

on the flip side of that, the larger surface area can have a detrimental effect too.
an example would be the raised pattern berbers or loop piles.
a "tight suck" on those is better for solution recovery and a glide can actually leave those type carpets wetter

The hole glide doesn't clean cut piles as deep as a slot glide or unglided wand.
It is however the easiest to push and works fine for tight short loop piles

The ideal situation is to use more than one wand set up with different glides, or have a notched wand that makes glide change effortless (that's what we do with our Ti wand)

in closing....are genuine "Greenglides teflon" glides "worth it"?
HELL YES!...they are to "us" anyway and I'll never be with out a hole and slot glide
donno about your flunkies with a porty in the back of Pinto though.
Maybe they'll like them, maybe they won't.

..L.T.A.

dgargan

When I was cleaning I liked the glides because it made things easier. I always vacuumed real well anyway so it didn't make a differance as far as picking up all the small crap. Now my employees on the other hand hate them. They like the bite on the carpet that an unglided wand has and they like to be able to suck up larger pieces of garbage through the vac slots. We compromised and use the slotted Butler glides on Butler wands. It makes the wand slide easier (not as good as a greenie) but it also has large slotted openings. Yes we lose some dry times but my view is that if your getting 4 hours or less for dry times it's not worth the extra effort or money to go with a high end glide just to gain an hour of dry time. Of course it helps when your employees are 20 years younger than you. If they stick around they may change their tune later on. LOL

David

Name
Ron lippold
Greg if i were a big baller like you I would buy all my techs a glide. Then I would see 40 techs that could make me more money and be happier. Greg if they could do 20 % more in a day would it be worth it to you.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Ron Lippold said:
Greg if i were a big baller like you I would buy all my techs a glide. Then I would see 40 techs that could make me more money and be happier. Greg if they could do 20 % more in a day would it be worth it to you.
The subs own all their own equipment of various styles. I doubt Greg even knows what they use at any given time.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Art Kelley said:
[quote="Ron Lippold":3tohjdm1]Greg if i were a big baller like you I would buy all my techs a glide. Then I would see 40 techs that could make me more money and be happier. Greg if they could do 20 % more in a day would it be worth it to you.
The subs own all their own equipment of various styles. I doubt Greg even knows what they use at any given time.[/quote:3tohjdm1]

Not to mention that it could be used to argue vs. the contractor status.

Chads

Supportive Member
Glides have there place, right tool for each job, and are worth having in your tool bag, and where i really see a big must is having a glide for is doing upholstery nothing can match not haveing all those loose styles of fabric getting sucked up into your tool making it harder on the fabric and your arm trying to glide over them. Yes thats right give Lisa a call and get one for your upholstery tool. I have a Kleenrite tool, the one with three slots on it and made it a whole new animal for cleaning furniture, I think odin has one for sell, and a steal at that price. :mrgreen:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Doc Holliday said:
For the flunkies with the porties......forget it. Not that it won't work for them, it will, but they won't spent the money on them.

penn.gif

I resemble that remark :x :x :x

!gotcha! :wink: shiteatinggrin

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have a glided wand that keeps my other tools company on the van while I use the unglided wand. With the glide you may move to fast which may hurt your cleaning. I keep my eye on the base of the wand the entire time I am cleaning(just ask the lamps behind me) and unglided is superior for even pile, fluff effect, total extraction of the cleaning agent that was just scrubbed in(how can covering 20-30% of your cleaning field help). I did spend my money on a hybrid and a slotted and if I remember correctly is was over $300(I could be wrong but I think it was like $189 a piece)

Mike Draper

Matt Murdock said:
I have a glided wand that keeps my other tools company on the van while I use the unglided wand. With the glide you may move to fast which may hurt your cleaning. I keep my eye on the base of the wand the entire time I am cleaning(just ask the lamps behind me) and unglided is superior for even pile, fluff effect, total extraction of the cleaning agent that was just scrubbed in(how can covering 20-30% of your cleaning field help). I did spend my money on a hybrid and a slotted and if I remember correctly is was over $300(I could be wrong but I think it was like $189 a piece)

Do you run 2" hose with a 1.5" whip as well?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have three two inch wands. Two titaniums and one greenbean cmp wand. I keep the two ti wands unglided and the greenbean wand glided. I only use the glided wand in the case of a have to. Today I had a bunch of small wool rugs to clean at a house and the glided wand came off the truck for those.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
4 to 2 and I have a 1 3/4 and my main wand is a 2 inch 14 wide blueline. I never understood the whip.

As well as what?

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Matt Murdock said:
4 to 2 and I have a 1 3/4 and my main wand is a 2 inch 14 wide blueline. I never understood the whip.

As well as what?

NOT everyone is as big as you are Crowley! Stop busting balls! lol

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Matt Murdock said:

As well as what?

as well as cleaning like a maroon....

your not covering up 30-40% of your cleaning area...its making more areas that add aggitation, an unglided wand is just a big piece of rolled steel sliding along the carpet, where as a glide, adds aggitation because now you have multiple places scratching/scrubbing the carpet...

ohhh also do you all understand how lift, air flow work and "blower recovery" work together???

guess not if your not using a glide......

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
So I need more agitation after scrubbing with a 175? If I do I can pull any number of tools off the truck. Please tell me how you aren't covering up your covering up your wand with a glide. I have them and don't use them. Are you telling me that your wand doesn't GLIDE easier with it on which would lessen your water recovery and ruining your extraction. I am a moron because I don't like my glides. I am a professional carpet cleaning and not every trick is needed.

Opinion was asked and I gave mine. You don't have to agree but to insult right off the bat shows what you are. Your glide doesn't fix your small penis stop being so envious.

Your run a lawnmowwer for a machine machine so Shut up you're a moron and don't understand blower, water lift etc Oh wait you can fix that with a glide.........Buy are real machine and you will understand

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Greg, please don't take this as a shot at your business, but my concern would be that you contractors, already pressed to do as many jobs a possible in a day, would utilize the glide to speed up even more. And with a portable, that could be not so good. But on the other hand, I can't see cleaning without one personally, but then again I'm an old fart...and I don't clean unless there's no way to cancel the job.

ascrubabove

I'm an O/O and clean 95% of all our carpet jobs, sometimes I do 4 hole houses in a day, without a glide my arms would fall off, about half of the carpets I do are berber and you have to move so slow without a glide to stop chatter, I will not clean without a glide!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I see that as the benefit not all the other stuff. I am not bashing glides I was answering a question and the question was "Do they clean better"

Now the glide mafias can stop PMing me :lol:

I don't know who makes this one but it is similar to my slotted(I have the hybrid as well) Point out where there is more cleaning area than an unglided wand floorguy. I see 20-30 or % of that covered. Now I look at it it is probably over 50%

superglideback.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have Crowley's address if we need to call in a hit.

It needs to large caliber though, that dude is going to as hard to bring down as a rhino. :wink:

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Just a note: Glides Do Not increase agitation. You always lose agitation with a glide. More so with a hole, less so with a slot. However that is generally easily compensated for by the positive qualities of a glide.

Take care,
Lisa

Greenie

So Greg is saying if you reduce a wand's vacuum slot by half, you are somehow reducing it's cleaning ability?

Jez....Crowley, I thought you were brighter than that.

G'head do as you choose, it's your body.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
You need to read the Ameteck/Lamb charts. reducing the orifice size increases air watts and velocity. That's why HM's high efficiency skids are half the slot size as the old skids. This phenomena is more pronounced the smaller the machine. The difference in recovery on a small porty between a hole and slot will be significant, on a Vortex it will be negligible.

What you lose is DEBRIS REMOVAL capability by making the orifice smaller.

Take care,
Lisa

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Jez....Crowley, I thought you were brighter than that.

I have no clue what lead you to believe that.

Greg is saying a few things
1. If you reduce the head of a wand escpecially after heavy duty agitation you may have trouble recovering everything you just pushed to the surface. Even after a serious vacuuming my waste basket gets filled with hair, sand and debri

2. The pile doesn't have all these lines in it and lifted better with a naked wand not leaving especially where you get filtration areas around nightstands etc so the the areas are cleaned more evenly

3. The ability to move faster isn't a pro it is a con. If the arguments are that you can move faster and it will dry quicker, that is flat out wrong because if you are moving faster you aren't receiving the benefit of the faster drying. The glide is great for some owner operators from a physical standpoint. As someone pointed out to me at SFS after I was telling them my body feels better than it has in years(looks aside) and he said "you haven't been doing this that long, wait"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom