GM Ignition Switch Failure On Vans

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Anyone else have trouble with their ignition switch on their Express or Savanna? Mine went out, I couldn't turn it back to on during a busy work day. This happened a few short months after the warranty expired on my 03 so this was in the summer of 06. Cost me $80 towing and $500 at the dealer. I never even heard of an ignition switch failing in my life. And then I had to replace the same switch two more times since then. WTF. Now GM is in the news with ignitions switches failing on Cobalts and Ions and people are dying. WTF. Now they are talking about a feud between GM and Delphi, their ignition switch supplier. WTF.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Name
Steve Lawrence
No problems yet with 4 GMC vans. Maybe you have some recourse, Art. I believe there is a recall for the defective ignitions. I think you also deserve reimbursement for your past expenditures related to this problem--including the tow.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Mines been kinda goofy for a couple years now. Sometimes I hit the key and nothing, then on the second or third try it will go

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Mines been kinda goofy for a couple years now. Sometimes I hit the key and nothing, then on the second or third try it will go

Never had ignition switch problems, as it not going to the on position. That sounds like the trans/brake/ignition interlock. Make sure your shift lever is pushed forward in PARK (especially on older worn vans....mines an 03).

@ Chris.......I have that same problem. Ocationally. Usually after a wet day and it sets for a while. Found out it's corosion on the little wire going to the starter. It will start 100 times, then out of the blue, usually a wet day, turn the key and ....nothing. I then have to climb under van, with my HUGE bulging chest, I barely fit without jacking it up (embarrasing in a custys drive or in public), and just wiggle the little wire. It will start after that. It's a real bitch when it's 10* out there, and you just want to make it back to the shop and garage.

One day, when I get the spare time, I will drop the starter and clean up and seal that wire.

And that's that.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Walked outta te floorin supply stire today an click click click.

Wiggled and stomped real hard. Fired right up!

I was freaking as we were on our way to the last one for the day!

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom