GM lifter issue!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
After buying lots of GM vans over the years and having very few problems, it seems they changed something. The dealer won't talk about it, but it appears that the lifters can collapse across the whole GM range of V-8 engines. The engine will run badly and generate a P0300 code (random misfire), then the collapsed lifter will eat the camshaft, followed by metal fragments destroying the main bearings. We've had two 2017s with less than 30k get a new engine at GM's expense, but my concern is that all of the 2017s are going to need engine replacements, and the replacement engines will use the same bad parts.

If you hear ticking sounds or the engine runs/idles/stumbles it needs to be checked right away. Unless GM gets sued, at this point if you're outside of warranty you will have to pay.

This is supposed to be limited to engines that shut down cylinders to save fuel. Ours don't have that feature but still have the problem. GM issued a service bulletin about it, but the dealership won't talk.

lifter.jpg

Service Bulletin:
TSB #15-06-01-002F: Engine Misfire/Tick Noise. Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated with DTC P0300 Set – (Dec 12, 2017)

This Bulletin has been revised to add the 2018 Model Year, update the Cause and change a picture. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 15-06-01-002E.

CONDITION
Some customers may comment on a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on and/or an engine misfire/tick noise.
Technicians may find DTC P0300 set or in history.

CAUSE
This may be the result of an active fuel management (AFM) lifter that is mechanically collapsed and/or stuck all of the time.

This may be the result of internal locking pin damage in the lifter, due to oil aeration.

This may be the result of a lifter that has collapsed and is stuck in the lifter bore.

NOTE:
Inspect the camshaft for damage while the lifters are removed from the engine. If damage is found, replace the camshaft per SI.

If SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, technicians should inspect for valve operation.

If the valve(s) are not moving, replace the valve lifter oil manifold and affected bank of AFM lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Replacement and Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.

If the lifter has spun the bore, the guides should also be replaced.

RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS
There are two approved processes for removing the lifter when stuck in the bore.

Use vice grips with a slide hammer.

NOTE:
Be sure not to pry on the sealing surface of the block.

Use vice grips with a small pry bar.

Typically one of the above approved processes will remove the lifter that is stuck in the bore. If not, the engine will need to be replaced.

With the lifter removed, be sure to inspect the bore for any damage. Typically the lifter bores will look good with no indication of damage.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number Description 12660737 MANIFOLD ASM-VLV LFTR OIL (SERV KIT) (L83, L86, or LT1) 12660736 MANIFOLD ASM-VLV LFTR OIL (SERV KIT) (LT4) 12623104 GASKET-VLV LFTR OIL UPR MANIF 12645725 LIFTER ASM-VLV (AFM) (4 per Bank) 12659260 GASKET-CYL HD (6.2L) 12622325 GASKET-CYL HD (5.3L) 11546959 RIGHT SIDE CYLINDER HEAD BOLTS (10) 11611976 LEFT SIDE CYLINDER HEAD BOLT (1) 11546959 LEFT SIDE CYLINDER HEAD BOLTS (9) 12657093 GASKET-EXH MANIF 12626354 GASKET-INT MANIF (8) 12619787 GASKET-VLV RKR ARM CVR 12623308 GASKET-F/PMP BRKT 12618336 PIPE ASM-FUEL FEED INTER 12618337 PIPE ASM-FUEL FEED INTER 12618338 PIPE ASM-FUEL FEED 12668553 SEAL KIT-F/INJR (O RING) (2)

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For vehicles repaired under the Powertrain coverage, use the following labor operation. Reference the Applicable Warranties section of Investigate Vehicle History (IVH) for coverage information.

Labor Operation Description Labor Time 4080978* Valve Lifter Oil Manifold and Valve Lifter Left Side Replacement 9.4 hrs (Silverado, Sierra) 14.8 hrs (CTS-V) 9.2 hrs (Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon) 11.7 hrs (Corvette) 7.0 hrs (Camaro) 4080988* Valve Lifter Oil Manifold and Valve Lifter Right Side Replacement 10.9 hrs (Silverado, Sierra) 15.5 hrs (CTS-V) 9.3 hrs (Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon) 11.4 hrs (Corvette) 9.0 hrs (Camaro) *This is a unique Labor Operation for Bulletin use only

Name
Lee Stockwell
Just saw a VERY rare, for the USA, Toyota Hiace van here in Murray KY. Beautiful!

Somehow that will be my last NEW van, and I want a van-powered machine in it. I'll do it myself if someone says it's impossible.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Just saw a VERY rare, for the USA, Toyota Hiace van here in Murray KY. Beautiful!

Somehow that will be my last NEW van, and I want a van-powered machine in it. I'll do it myself if someone says it's impossible.
the latest Hiace looks more "American" with it's engine/hood forward of the driver, haven't driven one yet.
I'm used to the 20 or so yrs of the snub nosed, apparently the newer have less engine/road noise and are a bit lower

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom