Goof Off

SamIam

Name
sam miller
So my first job yesterday was an olefin berber with some small paint stains.

I tried some goof off and kicked the spot with black sole shoes.the rubber came off and made a black spot on the carpet larger then the paint stain.

I only kick 4 spots as my son was cleaning he goes over the first and the black doesn't budge.

It took awhile but I flooded it with steam re hit it with goof off and some citrus spotter and rubbed it with my white teflon glide and rinsed.

Its always a scary moment when something happens you've never experienced before.

I figured the goof creates heat and melted the black rubber to the fiber and maybe rubbing the glide melted some of the white over the black blending it.

I hit the spot 4 to 5 time before a hit it with the edge of the glide and thats when they disappeared.

So needless to say I'll stop goofing off.

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ya a bone scrapper would've been a better choice,but the goof off didn't pull the paint either.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Live and learn. I would never use Goof Off 'Cuz it can melt the backing as much as it did your shoes and I would also, never wear black soiled shoes. But, Hey that's me.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
if I'm not mistaken, Goof Off is mostly xylene
It surely will emulsify latex paint and most glue residues.

and also some rubber shoe soles quicker than others .
some shoe soles will bleed with most solvent spotters when Florsheim agitation method is used

what you experienced is similar/same as the furniture leg that's a near instant bleeder when moved on a pre-sprayed area.
I'm sure most in the biz long enough have seen it....move the piece out, (onto a pre-sprayed section) clean where the piece was, lift the piece to put back in place (or heaven forbid slide it a bit:D) and there are furniture stains:eekk: :madd:
that often (usually) aren't all that "easily" rinsed out

with your shoe and goo, it's the same, only different...:lol:

some shoes are worse others and some solvents are more aggressive

..L.T.A.

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I'll tell ya one thing I didn't expect it, but it made sense after it happened I was like oh I shouldn't have done that.

especially since it was a rental and they were tiny drips he didn't even care about the paint.

1st time I ever used the stuff I ran out of my go to citrus when I picked it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Live and learn. I would never use Goof Off 'Cuz it can melt the backing as much as it did your shoes and I would also, never wear black soiled shoes. But, Hey that's me.

is that soiled or soled??? cause generally they get cleaned pretty well with all the prespray.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Liquid hydrocarbon dry solvents should be applied to a white cotton terrycloth towel, and then apply the towel itself to the spot. Agitate with a tamping brush.
Gelled hydrocarbon dry solvents can be applied, with care, directly to carpet and a bone scraper can be used to break-up hardened spot matter, and infuse the gel into that. Dull edges of scraper can be used to wipe dissolved material onto a towel.

Never use anything which might be affected by the solvent to agitate(use inert tools designed for this purpose, e,g, a bone scaper) , and care should be taken to retain the texture and twist of the yarn bundles. Excessive agitation can bloom yarn bundles and cause other texture problems, such as fuzzing.

Generally, most hydrocarbon dry solvents are capable of dissolving the latex that binds the yarn bundles to the backing, so usage technique should guard against any solvent from reaching the backing/latex.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
However...Your hackish spotting technique might be the cause.

Everyone uses their shoe(assuming the shoe don't bleed/spread it!) from time to time. Who's going to use a bone spatula on a large spot anyways?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Everyone uses their shoe(assuming the shoe don't bleed/spread it!) from time to time. Who's going to use a bone spatula on a large spot anyways?

Bone scrapers are used to break up crusts on small areas, not agitate large areas. For that, you use brushes, pads, and rakes.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I know Shawn doesn't clean carpets for a living...he's exempt from my question

for those that do clean carpets FOR A LIVING, tell me which of you gOObers is going to claim you DON'T use "Florsheim agitation" at times?

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
He said their were several SMALL paint spots. From my experience usually they need a little close attention.

nothing works better or faster than napping shears when they're just small drips on the top of cut pile fibers .
and if one is going to use flammable non gel'd "wicked" spotters, go big or stay home.... lacquer thinner

'cides, toluene smells bedder than xylene :afro::very_drunk:

..L.T.A.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I'll gently use my knife and get most of the paint with this with out hurting the carpet.

I may have had this happen years ago using heavy duty soil lifter from chemspec when it was 111 tri chlor base, but I haven't used a backing eating spotter in years.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
This is one of the best products we have come across in the past few years that works well for paint removal. Easy to control, rinses well and can go a long way.

http://www.questchemicalcorp.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ID=45

For general gum, tar, some paints we like and use this Harvard Chemical Product

De-Zov-All - D-Limonene Spotter & Cleaner. You can find out more info about it here: http://www.hcronline.com/spotremoval.htm
Tech Page: http://www.hcronline.com/msdsandtech/techdata/DeZovAll .pdf
MSDS: http://www.hcronline.com/msdsandtech/msds/Dezovall MSDS.pdf

We generally mix about 2 ounces in a quart spray bottle with water. Makes it easy to rinse and it goes a long way!

For agitation, We like the "Gum Getter" for smaller spots. The "Gum Getter" can be pretty aggressive when they are new so we keep newer ones and worn down ones in out spot bags. We also have a hand brush for larger areas as described.

Reactions: Royal Man

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
I'll tell ya one thing I didn't expect

To make a big brown spot in the back of your underwear?

"after it happened I was like oh I shouldn't have done that"

Did you get a squishy feeling when you saw what happened?

I hate those singular "moments of truth"

I have never used the sole of my shoe to aggitate... because I am the kind of guy who's luck is that what happened to Sam would happen to me, and I've never be able to get the shoe marks out. I go strictly by the book...unfortunately. Thanks Sam for making me feel good for doing it the right way the last few years.

Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom