Google Places

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
OK, after extensive research for the past few weeks I've come to this conclusion. In Google's infinite wisdom (which changes on a daily basis) they have done what I think to be a pretty decent job with this "tune up".
In reference to the service areas.
By listing your service area you can show people where you go instead of just where you are. I thought this was a good thing...but I wasn't sure because Google is a tricky bunch.

This is how I think it works.
If you set a service area of 100 miles around your area, people can see where you go when they find you..of course.
Now, finding you.....
I think you are placed on the maps page according to your actual address no matter what. Whether or not you are in a higher position is whether or not you suck...anyway.

You wil still get listed in those area 100 miles out...but you will be listed behind the guys who are actually in that physical area.

Long story short (too late) listing your service area won't hurt you where you are and it will actually help you get listed in those other areas when you search...but you won't come up so early in the searches as the guys in that actual area.

This seams like common sense..and it is...but since when did Google do anything from common sense.

By the way....I could be wrong. :D

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Funny thing is, Google pretty much did this anyway. As you would go down the map listings, you would find companies further and further away.

So I think this is just so the potential client knows where you go instead of having to guess or call and ask.

Now, if you list your actual cities???
That's a whole other thread.

And I haven't tested that one yet...more to come.

Same Mikey's Board time...Same Mikey's Board Channel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom