Got a new motor in a van today! NEW UPDATE! Motor blew up?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have a 1997 chevy Astro, that had been sitting for a year with a bad motor. Got brand new motor put in.. I picked it up. the A/C compressor wont kick on, I hope it didnt go bad from sitting..

The check engine light came on....... My tech II said it was a knock sensor... What does this actually do? and can it hurt anything? Does anyone know where it's located so i can replace it?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Re: Got a new motor ina van today! What's a knock sensor?

Thanks guys! I have worked 16 hours today, so I didnt look to much for it.. I just hope its not hard to get to in that van.

Name
Nate W.

joeynbgky said:
Thanks guys! I have worked 16 hours today, so I didnt look to much for it.. I just hope its not hard to get to in that van.

Just razzin ya of course... 16hrs huh, you need to fire your boss... :lol:

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey

I work to much, I know but I'm the type of person who thinks everything has to be done and in order for the next day. Hey, I washed 2 vans at 9:30 pm today cause it sprinkled today and they were spotted. ugh

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

joeynbgky said:
I work to much, I know but I'm the type of person who thinks everything has to be done and in order for the next day. Hey, I washed 2 vans at 9:30 pm today cause it sprinkled today and they were spotted. ugh

you workaholic guys make lazy guys like me sick...... :shock:

..L.T.A.

John Watson

Larry, I be lazzyier than U, Tells me whens you git done pukin so I's can feel more better tooo!!

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey

Update: Yesterday I took the engine cover off inside the van.. I replaced the knock sensor, the other onr probably wasn't bad.. the wire was cut to the sensor. the wire on the temp snding unit was off as well... a/c wasnt working figured out that the wire on the compressor was off. It wouldnt take a charge they must have punctured something..... So today I drive the van to a city 1 hour away. all of a sudden the van loses power i smell antifreeze and the engine stops on the freeway......... Popped the hood, a radiator hose fell off. I mean just fell off.. I waited and started my brand new engine. it started but knocked so the tow truck is coming to get it and take it back to the mechanic....

I tried to stop payment on my check, its already been cashed... I researched this company they have 33 BBB negetive reports. I hope im not scrwed. damn im pissed.

steve g

Name
steve garrett

joeynbgky said:
Update: Yesterday I took the engine cover off inside the van.. I replaced the knock sensor, the other onr probably wasn't bad.. the wire was cut to the sensor. the wire on the temp snding unit was off as well... a/c wasnt working figured out that the wire on the compressor was off. It wouldnt take a charge they must have punctured something..... So today I drive the van to a city 1 hour away. all of a sudden the van loses power i smell antifreeze and the engine stops on the freeway......... Popped the hood, a radiator hose fell off. I mean just fell off.. I waited and started my brand new engine. it started but knocked so the tow truck is coming to get it and take it back to the mechanic....

I tried to stop payment on my check, its already been cashed... I researched this company they have 33 BBB negetive reports. I hope im not scrwed. damn im pissed.

how many miles were on the old astro van motor?? I personally have always thought astros were pretty junky along with everything else GM of that vintage. if you had more than 100k miles on the van putting a new motor in it was polishing a turd, the problem is you might have a great running motor but the rest of the van is going to need repairs. what if the tranny goes out?? that is 3 to 4 grand right there. I am not a believer into putting a lot of money into older high mileage vehicles. I would have another mechanic look at it, have them check to see if anything was done wrong. they are going to say didn't you notice the heat gauge?? another mechanic could verify that it was or was not working, they could also see how well the radiator hose was on. I would give the motor people the chance to make it right. if they don't I would then file a small claims action

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
The temp gauge wire was new, they put it in, I saw it... now the van has 220,000 miles on it.. I have an astro van with the original motor with 323,000 miles.. These vans are kept in tip top shape. They still look new... Mechanically they are fine. I'm not sure who does your transmission work but for a company to rebuild one its about $1,400 thats all not 3 or 4 grand.. I keep these vans cause they are dependable and look good! Sure somethign could go wrong, big deal if a water pump goes out, ill get a new one for 40 bucks with my discount.. I change all hoses and belts accordinly. These vans are used for house cleaning and air duct cleaning. Why buy new ones with a payment when these are maintained and still do the job? I personally would rather have a honda or toyota van, but hey they dont have them here.... I like to get my moneys worth when i buy a car... Hey I have a 2008 Mercury mariner with 168,000 miles on it already, and its trans is going out.. oh well get it fixed. Well, the extended warranty will pay for it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
while I'm not "anti" Chevy, I'm not a "big fan" of them either.
But the Chevy Astro was a winner.
It and the Cavalier were probably the best vehicles they ever made
(in terms of reliability and repairs)

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom