Got a question - steam out the exhaust !

jeg1983

I was wondering if it is normal to blow steam out the exhaust when running decently high temps in weather around the low to mid 30's? It only does it when I am triggerin the wand. I have a LG 3HT on Very Hot with 12 flow and the truck mount has heat exchangers but they do a lousy job at heating the water with 12 flow. Truckmount is a older Aquacat 3.6 or something. It runs great. Has only about 1100 hrs on the machine and 400 on the engine. Also I was kinda wondering if anyone knows what the lift I should run it at. Right now it seems to get upto 14". Thanks for any info in advance!

Jamie

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I would think if the heat coming out of the blower is hotter than the air temp, you would get steam coming out of the exhaust.

R

R W

Sounds to me like a small leak in the exhaust/solution heat exchanger....if your TM has one. Also, a full waste tank will create exhaust steam when overflowing.

Just guessing.

R

R W

Doug.....my Genesis will run all day in extreme cold without any exhaust steam......unless there is moisture present in the system.....like an over full waste tank......(I've done that before, cause my shut down switch didn't activate.)

jeg1983

Is that something I should be really concerned with? I believe they are exhaust exchangers. I am pretty much a newbie trying to learn as much as possible about truck mounts. When I only had the butler I never had to worry about messing with them besides basic maintenance and pully's. Thanks for the fast response. It only does it when I am running he trigger and sucking water. When I set the wand down it stops. I thought mabye it was just from nice and hot water. Since I have never had a 3HT and heat exchangers before.

Jamie

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jamie, when you say steam out of the "exhaust", do you mean the engine exhaust, blower exhaust or propane heater vent?

...L.T.A.

Becker

Name
Becker
Only while the wand is triggered?

My guess is somehow incoming water into the waste tank is splashing up near the intake for the blower.

Greenie

Becker said:
Only while the wand is triggered?

My guess is somehow incoming water into the waste tank is splashing up near the intake for the blower.

Exactly what I was thinking. Trouble shooting starts with replicating the problem.
Is the waste tank near full when this happens, cause if it happens on an empty tank, it's probably something else.

And if you can get a stock little giant to fire on Very Warm you have some cold water HX on that old Cat.

jeg1983

With this machine I think the blower exhaust and the Engine exhaust exit out of the same exhaust pipe. Unless I am missing something? There is only one exhaust pipe coming out from under my van besides the Van engine exhaust of course. The steam out the exhuast only tends to happen once and a while. When I notice the handle on my wand is pretty darn warm. And yes the heat exchangers on this machine are a joke. I can not even pull 100+ temps with 12 flow without the LP heater. But when I am running a upholstery tool it gets itself to hot and I have had it shut down on me once and the water in the mix tank was about to a boil . For some reason I do not think the hot water bypass thing is working correct or that would not be happening? Correct? Sorry if these are stupid questions I am still learning about truck mounts, Thanks to all the help from these BB's. Thanks for all the info. Makes it alot easier to learn by reading then by trial and error.

Jamie

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Re: Got a question!

jeg1983 said:
I It only does it when I am triggerin the wand.
Jamie

I have three different heat exchanger units and they all do it to a certain extent.
All it is, it's condensation. It's normal.
COLD water going through the coil hitting the hot air. It is going to condense and drip off the coils a little thereby blowing some moisture out the engine and or blower exhaust.
It is much more noticeable during colder weather and the use of high flow.
When you use a high flow wand you are putting more Cold water in the heat exchanger and it will condense more. When you are not using water the heat is drying off the coils.

Greenie

jeg1983 said:
... And yes the heat exchangers on this machine are a joke. I can not even pull 100+ temps with 12 flow without the LP heater.
Jamie

Thank gawd for the LP heater then!

I'd still pull the knob and recalibrate it to burn a little hotter, you may need to come this summer.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Whenever the temps get below 30, I always have a puff of "vapor" coming out of the exhaust now and then. I know its just the hot water coming into the cold air of the waste tank and causing some vaporization. When I am really on the wand, that is when I notice it.

jeg1983

Good, I was a little worried but it did not seem like nothing to major. I appreciate the info guys! Did I read some where that there is a way to turn the heat up on the LG heater? Like a screw or something that can be adjusted?

Jamie

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
jeg1983 said:
Did I read some where that there is a way to turn the heat up on the LG heater? Like a screw or something that can be adjusted?

Jamie

That's what I've heard, Jamie.
But lemmie ask, are you willing to over ride what the manufacture has determined to be the correct (safest) setting?

I have a friend that has told a few cleaners how to do it.
Personally, I think they're playing with fire...figuratively and literally

You've mentioned you're not very experienced with the equipment.
Now there ain't no shame in that, so my suggestion would be to leave the setting at factory level and live with the heat or buy a larger capacity heater

..L.T.A.

Kelly

yes you can make adjustments to a unitrol thermostat its easy, usually you can adjust just about any thermostat. its called calibration lol I like those big specialty words dont you?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom