Granite Counter Top Polishing/Cleaning

Name
Bruce
Granite.JPG

I have my slab of Granite , now I just need to know what type of products I need for the practicing process to start.

What will I need to do to make this granite dull so I can shine it back up?
I'm ready to get started and any help will be appreciated.

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
Call Rob @ hardrock tool for supplies...
I like to use a 7" Makita, (I have heard some like smaller for tighter areas)
From Hardrock... Stone pro's
StoneScrub,http://www.stoneproonline.com/Stone-Scrub-33-60-prod.htm
Pro-polish crystalizer an extreme hoghair pad, Potea powder,
crystal clean (neutral cleaner), Sealer http://www.stoneproonline.com/Ultimate-Pro-34-36-prod.htm
And Finishing touch revitalizer and lots of microfiber towels.
You can start by literally hosing it down with a tap or even softened water
let it dry, and repeat and repeat to mimick the daily damage done to granite by the home owner.

Hope this helps...

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Not sure if this would work to emulate wear on that granite but you can try wet dry sandpaper. I would probably start out at 1000 grit. The thing is if you scratch it too much you'll need diamonds to bring it up to a level that would get it ready for polishing. I'm sure Rob has better ideas.

I tried Robs kit on a part of my granite kitchen counters. It looked good from the start but it did bring the gloss up another 10% or so. I'll have to go back and take some more gloss readings to see if the difference is still there. On another job I did on Friday the difference of the gloss was more noticeable because there was a lack of luster to start with (mainly around the sink area). It's important to note that not all granite counters need to be re-polished. If there is lack of shine try a razor blade to see if the cause is from a buildup. If it is, just the stone scrub should suffice.

On both I did not use the stone scrub as there was no buildup. I mainly cleaned it with the tm followed by the potea and crystalizer. The process is fairly simple but it is real important to cover things up (floor, cabinets and surrounding areas).

Granite floor and countertop polishing San Jose

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-variable-speed-polisher-sander-92623.html
I got this one to start with. I'll wear it out and buy a nicer one.
Rob will hook you up with the stuff you need. Have fun and I hope it works out good for you.

Hi Charlie,

I looked at these because I didn't want to spend a ton of money before I know I can make a go of this add-on.
Have you received yours yet?
How is the build quality (understanding its only $40.00)?
Have you had a chance to use it at all? Seems some have used them a couple years and others barely get a couple hours use.
Did you pick up Harbor Freight wool bonnets or get them from Rob or elsewhere? I read a review that said HF bonnets fell apart quickly... whattayagonnado
Thanks,
Bill Morgan

Rob Fairfield

Supportive Member
Name
Rob Fairfield
Hi Bruce,

Here are the products to make that Black Galaxy look new again. I sent you some pricing information in a PM.

Step 1 Stone Scrub 1 qt. Cleaner
Step 2 Potea 1 lb. Adds color
Polish Pro 1 qt. Reflectivity
Step 3 Ultimate Pro 1 qt Sealer(opt.)
Step 4 Finishing Touch 16oz Final Buff

Accessories
3 7" Hogs Hair Extreme pads
1 7" lambs wool bonnet

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Hi Charlie,

I looked at these because I didn't want to spend a ton of money before I know I can make a go of this add-on.
Have you received yours yet?
How is the build quality (understanding its only $40.00)?
Have you had a chance to use it at all? Seems some have used them a couple years and others barely get a couple hours use.
Did you pick up Harbor Freight wool bonnets or get them from Rob or elsewhere? I read a review that said HF bonnets fell apart quickly... whattayagonnado
Thanks,
Bill Morgan

I have it. I've used it on my counters and one customer's. I think it will last a while. If it takes a dump, I'll invest in a nicer one.
I'm with you, I didn't want to sink a bunch of money into one until I got it going. It looks like this is going to be a profitable add on service. I'm getting a lot of interest from customers. I just need to get some good before and after pics and get it on the website and out into internet land so people can know about it.
Don't waste your money on the Harbor freight bonnets. Get them from Rob. They don't even compare.

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
I have it. I've used it on my counters and one customer's. I think it will last a while. If it takes a dump, I'll invest in a nicer one.
I'm with you, I didn't want to sink a bunch of money into one until I got it going. It looks like this is going to be a profitable add on service. I'm getting a lot of interest from customers. I just need to get some good before and after pics and get it on the website and out into internet land so people can know about it.
Don't waste your money on the Harbor freight bonnets. Get them from Rob. They don't even compare.

Thanks Charles and Albert, for the advice. I've determined easing in with the cheap(er) polisher from HF for now and quality bonnets from Rob is a far better use of my money.

Rob was very gracious to send me some samples and a powerpoint printout from a recent seminar. I recently met a hard surface installer who does a lot of subcontracting on the side for a major flooring retailer. I approached him about doing his granite counter tops.

He said people are always calling him about cleaning and maintenance of their counters/floors but he's been turning it away because he's strictly installation. He approached me about adding the cleaning/maintaining service to some of his existing/past customers. Hopefully it won't be a conflict of interest with his retailer. I think this could be a good relationship even if I have to pay a percentage or referral fee until I get established. Anyway, enough about me...

Charlie, once you get your before/after pix on your site and send post cards or call your existing customers who have stone counter tops you'll really get going.

Best of luck Charles and keep updating your progress, learning curve and experiences!

Thanks guys!!
Bill Morgan

Back
Top Bottom