Granite oil absorption photos

Mikey P

Administrator
Feel free to use on your sites as a great example as to why you want to seal your counters.
20160402_103216.jpg
20160402_103527.jpg

Hand oils caused the darkening of the corner

Reactions: J Scott W

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Wow...that's heavy duty buildup there.
I'm going to try to get Shilo and I to the stone classes, I really want to learn how to redo countertops and such.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
never had a desire to do it myself. i do like to learn new stuff even if just for my own granite.

Mrice

Name
Mat
I see this all the time...even in new construction. This is where custy kept lazy susan for years. All they can do is TRY to darken the spot with oil. Poulticing a whole calendar is usually cost prohibitive without guaranteed results.

Attachments

• 2015-10-06 16.47.05.jpg
    2015-10-06 16.47.05.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 259
Name
cameron demille
I see this all the time...even in new construction. This is where custy kept lazy susan for years. All they can do is TRY to darken the spot with oil. Poulticing a whole calendar is usually cost prohibitive without guaranteed results.

I really doubt that's staining, it looks like oxidation of some sort. The chances of the all the edging and front of the stone staining the same is slim to none. Some stones can darken over time when exposed to UV light, and you'll end up with a light spot wherever something has sat for a long time.

Kellie, you would think Quartz (engineered stone made with crushed quartz and resin) and quartzite (natural slabs) would not need to be sealed, but that's not the case. True quartzite is not porous, but most slabs sold as such are hard enough to pass as quartzite, but not actually quartzite. Many of them are dolomitic marbles, which is an incredibly hard marble, but can still etch. Super White is one, which wil also stain quite easily. Engineered Quartz, like Caserstone, etc. "don't need to be sealed" but in fact can be stained.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler
Name
cameron demille

I bet if you left this completely uncovered it would all even out after a year or so. There are several stones we fabricate that darken in the sunlight. one of them is dark green and gets nearly white when we cut and grind it. We let it sit in the sun for 2-3 weeks before delivering the tops because it needs time for the edges to darken and match the top.

Mrice

Name
Mat
Thanks for the heads up. I do see it all the time though...now I'll know better what it is. Any particular stone more susceptible to it than others?

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I really doubt that's staining, it looks like oxidation of some sort. The chances of the all the edging and front of the stone staining the same is slim to none. Some stones can darken over time when exposed to UV light, and you'll end up with a light spot wherever something has sat for a long time.

Kellie, you would think Quartz (engineered stone made with crushed quartz and resin) and quartzite (natural slabs) would not need to be sealed, but that's not the case. True quartzite is not porous, but most slabs sold as such are hard enough to pass as quartzite, but not actually quartzite. Many of them are dolomitic marbles, which is an incredibly hard marble, but can still etch. Super White is one, which wil also stain quite easily. Engineered Quartz, like Caserstone, etc. "don't need to be sealed" but in fact can be stained.
Wow....good info, thank you!

Name
cameron demille
Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom