Gravity Fed vs. Pumped Fresh Water Supply

PCCN

Just wondering...
I have used some Butler equipment for several years and they don't use a pump to get water from the supply tank to the machine. It's gravity fed. However, every other brand I have used (Bridgepoint previously and ProChem now) all make their equipment so that you have the electric pump moving the water from the supply tank, UP to a waterbox, where it is then, gravity fed back into the machine itself.

Just wondering why this is? I have never had an issue with the Butlers not supplying water to the machine and like the others, it as well can be connected directly to a wter supply hose. Why don't the other manufacturers do the same?

It would eliminate several parts and pieces of equipment, which in turn would reduce the possibility of something breaking down. It would free up additional floor/machine space. Not to mention the costs it would reduce to the buyer of the equipment.

Not knocking any of the other manufacturers because in fact I love my current ProChem along side the Butler. But it just seems like a waste of space, time, and money in these added items.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Gravity would work but because the pump is up so high on the frame you would need to mount the fresh water tank up high above the the pump for gravity to work for you.

That's why the use the pressure vessel to supply the water to the water box.

Name
Brad Gouveia
The biggest problem without a pump is if you run it out of water you get air in the system. The pump will have problem getting rid of the air (cavitation) unless you have a fresh water pump to force it out. Butler uses a tall water tank to help push the water.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm not familiar with Butler's tank .
But many systems draw from a water box that the pump draws from .
Depending how far away the fresh water tank is, most pumps can draw directly from a fresh water tank and by-pass the TM's water box all together .
In other words, the fresh water tank just becomes a "great big" water box

The problem comes in when you don't by-pass the TM water box .
They all have some type valve (either mechanical or electrical) to stop incoming water when full .
Otherwise they'd over fill

That's why an axillary pump is needed

..l.T.A.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
doesn't butler have the water pump about on the floor of the van, at least close to it. prochems need a water box so you get preheated water from the blower, this box is mounted up on the frame. we had an old prochem bear, that when installed the distributor deleted the water box and just hooked up the draw to the HP pump right to the fresh tank, then they piped the orifice water back to the main fresh tank. I didn't know near what I know about truckmounts now. but this caused the HP pump to need rebuilding at least once a year. it also caused the machine to run very very hot when the water tank started to run low as you can imagine.

John Watson

Dang that there Meat nows his stuff!!!! My 110 gal storage tank is my water box. My designer (JEM) also used the Hawk pump that has great suck capabilities as well as the push pressure side. Remember your gonna suck before you blow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom