Great Example of Wash Floor with Perimeter Drains - No curbs

Name
Nate W.
What type of floor drains are better to use?

Plastic or metal?

I'm looking to do the perimeter drains in my shop.

I currently have a inflatable rug pit when Arron Grosclose taught a class here.

Do you know the size that's best to accompany the water use?

Rodney Olson

Name
Rodney Olson
Hello Nate, my floor drain are plastic 5'' wide 5" (deep). The drain by the wash tube is 8" wide x8'' (deep) the wash floor is 20' X 25' and is 1" higher in the center which lets the water cascades all four directions. Hope this helps.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Nate,
The drains themselves don't have to be plastic. You can cut the drain trenches and pour a concrete bottom, then coat with Herculiner if you're concerned about chemical etching. The grid tops should be plastic though (I think reinforced fiberglass) or you'll spend a lot of time fighting corrosion.

Name
Nate W.
Thanks Rodney and Uncle Brian!! My floor has a 1" slope in it, so I don't need to re-pour it... Great idea on making a concrete bottom... This whole time I was trying to look for trenches...

Ron K

Nice set-up. Are you using the wash tub on most rugs? Don't tell the Billboard head they dry real quick!

Rodney Olson

Name
Rodney Olson
Hello Ron, We use the wash tub for most of the hand knotted, machine made, and some better quality tufted rugs, inspection is key when using the washtub. The cheaper tufted are rotary scrub (soft brushes) and top down rinsed both side (low moisture).

Ron K

We wash real bad (soiled) tufted too but they do take a while to dry. Do you have a tumbler? They look really nice.
Who's dry tower is that ? Still doing the old pirate ship!

Rodney Olson

Name
Rodney Olson
Ron, I don't own a tumbler as of yet. The drying tower I built about 8 years ago and yes still doing the old pirate ship way of hanging rugs.

Back
Top Bottom