Greenie.......... 2004 exaust diverter.....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I think this is what you were asking about the other day...Mine was sticking so I took it apart and cleaned it up....

remove cover and take out the upper right and 2 lower bolts........

I grab the entire thing and push it in and out until it breaks free and comes out

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

clean and polish up the rod and I take a round wire brush and clean out the hole

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

I put my extension in the tail pipe to make sure the door inside is open and put some high temp grease on the rod and put it back into the hole

IMG_3489.jpg

bolt it back on .....I always paint the top of the stick red so I can see it easy from a distance.....

also...if you start it up and there is a little blow by coming out of the lower HX you can take the cotter pin out of the rod and separate it from the stick and turn it to tighten the flapper door more if needed....

I normally have to do this every 150 to 200 machine hours.....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
update...............my diverter was not a problem.............(although the service was still needed.)

The diverter was not sticking....my vacuum assist pump is going out and is weak...I learned all this when I was out this am and went to apply my break and stop the truck........ it did not want to stop because there was no vacuum....because the pump was not filling the tank fast enough........the pump is weak and did not have enough vacuum to pull the diverter closed all the way.......the vacuum pump is attached to the back of the alternator...better to buy it as one unit instead of separate parts...... $469 for a pump and it has to be ordered but for $514 I can have a new alternator with a new pump already attached and they have plenty of those in stock ( don't ask I don't make the rules )

Once again this year the truck is sitting at the mechanic's shop and I will have a part over nighted and it will be back in service on Friday.....

I guess all in all a few days won't be so bad because that is about how long it is going to take the cab to completely air out after I shit myself when I hit the break and nothing was there.......

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
figure that pump is working it's ass off every time you turn that key ..not to mention it is working while we are cleaning moving the exhaust diverter...... I am going to talk to the parts guy tomorrow and see what is normal life of one of these things.......and I will take pictures of the new one when it comes in before I get it over to my mechanic so everyone can see what it looks like...............

Greenie

Thanks Jim.

Do you have pic looking into the exhaust pipe that shows the flapper?

I'm archiving these to help guys across the planet with this exact issue.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
When I get my truck back I will get one for you.............................

Mikey P

Administrator
Ask my f'n helper about how NOT TO put that damn thing back together.

Flapper alignment can not be stressed enough to those not paying the bill.

Greenie are you also stressing Breather Stone cleaning?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
move that stupid thing out from under the truck and put it inside out of the elements and throw that stone in the trash and never worry about it anymore.....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Up date on my up date.....................after losing a full days and a half of cleaning....the part came in.....$514 and another $130 to overnight it express to my house so it got here at 7:30 so I could get it over to my mechanic......2 hours later he calls me and I go to pick up truck.take it out and it did the same damn thing......we worked for another 3 hours together going over that entire truck trying to figure out what the hell is wrong...we are calling UD dealers all over...... getting different ideas and still no one knew....I was calling carpet cleaners asking them what there trucks were doing at different times.....nothing....Finally got a hold of a Isuzu technician and with out a single hesitation he said..........Back breaks need replaced ....... :shock: ........no way
the thing gave me no warning that it was having a break problem ..we replaced the front's not to long ago and inspected the backs and they were fine......come to find out the man was right.....the vacuum assist pump on the back alternator runs your vacuum booster tank for your breaks and your holding tank under the driver side step.....this little pump only puts out so much and that is it....the further the back brakes get from the drums the more air that is needed to stop the truck and it empty's the holding tank and the pump can not fill it back up fast enough.....when the UD's are driving around and if you pump/hit your breaks 3 or 4 times you may see the break light blink a few times and that is normal and telling you that your air tank is low. and it should refill pretty quick....but if it is steady and the pedal is hard after 1 or 2 break taps....adjust or replace your rear breaks......

We spent so much time trying to figure this out that my mechanic did not have time to replace my back breaks so he adjusted them closer to the drums and my truck is back to normal and I went and pick up the rest of my jobs today....

As for the $514 dollar alternator....the guy at UD told me they normally start seeing them being replaced around 100.000 mile I have 78,000 on mine and then add in the machine hours...screw it... I am keeping the new one and heading off a problem for in the future........plus I am going to keep the old one for a back up......

IMG_3524-1.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
not a problem.....that is what this board is all about......I hope things like this help some not to spend money they don't have to and know where to look for problems...

gasaxe

you might give a look at a 2000 or newer f250/350 superduty diesel truck mine as well as all of them have a 12 volt vaccum pump. It makes a decent amount of vaccum and probably could be had pretty cheap through a salvage yard. They are located on the passenger side fender well behind the battery on that side. The auto lock hubs as well as heat/ac controls use vaccum on these trucks and since they are turbo charged they do not produce vaccum as a n/a engine would. you could add one as a booster unit in your current system they have an internal switch that turns them off and on when needed..

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Greenie as hard as I tried there is no way I am going to get a picture of that exhaust door on the diverter...

But here are a few of the stone that Mike was talking about.....

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

Normally this is down under the frame cross member under the truck..
and seeing how I moved mine inside and keep it out of the elements..I normally don't have the breathing stone on it but I screwed it in for the picture......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom