Greenies 2.5" elbow adapter installed

KBRENNY

Here are some pictures of before and after of installing Green glides 2.5 inch elbow adapter on my Cobb unit.

I had to cut off the original 2" aluminum fitting and grind off any excess flush with the tank. Then I had to cut 1/2" off the back side off the new adapter, drill two new rear mounting holes, and then trim the gasket and punch new holes in it. I made a template of the mounting plate out of card board to mark the 2.5" vacuum hole and then used a roto zip to cut it out of the tank larger than the original hole. Drilled the mounting holes using a #7 drill bit and then tapped them with a 1/4" - 20 tap. I had to do this so I could thread the stainless 1/4" bolts and washers from the inside going out so they would stick up like studs because I would not have access to tighten the nuts once the adapter was on. Then put some rtv silicone between the tank and gasket (tank was not perfectly flat there), and bolted the assembly down. I took the second picture before I cleaned up the excess rtv silicone because it stopped raining for a minute and I could get my camera back out but it looks much better than the finished picture.

DCP_1791.jpg

DCP_1792.jpg

KBRENNY

I have not had a chance to run it yet today, the epoxy did not set up until about noon today and I want to see the difference with the filter on (real world conditions).

Brian L

Name
Brian L
What is the thickness of the walls of your tank that you were able to tap it for bolts to screw into?

KBRENNY

close to 1/4" , not exactly sure. I did tap the holes in the tank but threaded the bolts through the tank from the inside so they were sticking out and then tightened the nuts on the outside. I did this because I wanted to be sure it was strong and I have had troubles in the past threading into aluminum like this and the threads stripping out.

KBRENNY

My machine was probably out of warranty before I ever thought about becoming an owner operator. I guestimate it is a 1997 model, possibly a 1998 at the newest. It has around 6500 hours on it and has the original engine, blower, and pump none of which has been rebuilt. Proof that with proper maintenance and care good equipment can last a long time.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
At the last company I worked for, they had a Hydramaster CDS built into a 2000 dodge with a 360. When I left I think it had 6700 hours on it. It was not well maintained, it has been jumped (Lit. 3 or 4 feet in the air, I have witnesses) the motor mounts have broken, it has blown radiators, all kinds of crap. They just won't give up on it though.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Kevin;

The 2.5" Inlet looks nice. Good idea on the threaded studs.

That is the inlet size that we are using on the new 38 HP TM's.

6500 hours on orig. components, 10 year old Aluminum Tank and still working. It is 3/16" #6061 aluminum with vertical & horiz. cross bracing.

What do you have the relief valve set at ??

Larry Cobb

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Nice looking modification. Do you use a regular 2.5" hose cuff on the truck end of the hose and does it slide over top of the new inlet?

Greenie

Jim, it's one of my 2.5" elbows, designed for 2.5" vac hose, either with a cuff or naked just using raw hose.

KBRENNY

Just in case you were wondering it is actually tighter fit to the raw hose than it is to the cuff. I actually am just sliding the raw hose on it as I feel it has a tighter fit and better seal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom