Groupon gets $3.5 million

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
WTF? Our tax dollars hard at work.

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn announced a $3.5 million investment package Tuesday for fast-growing online shopping company Groupon.

Company officials say the money will lead to 250 new jobs at its headquarters in Chicago.

The investment package includes a mix of corporate tax income credits over the next 10 years and job training funds.

"Groupon is truly owned by the state and owned by the city," said co-founder Eric Lefkofsky. He said the funding will help the company continue to expand.

Groupon has grown from seven employees in 2008 to more than 900 in Chicago and 2,500 worldwide. Company president Rob Solomon estimates the site has more than 25 million subscribers, and officials say its "deal-of-the-day" is offered in more than 300 markets around the world.

Groupon - a name that combines parts of the words "group" and "coupon" - features daily group discounts via the Web.

Local businesses offer potential customers deep discounts on products, services, cultural events and restaurants for a limited time, and only if a certain number of other people also take advantage of the deal.

Most deals are for 50, 60 or 70 percent off. Groupon and the local business share the resulting revenue.

Groupon has said it has about 30,000 clients whose products and services it offers.

Quinn said the state's investment through the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity is necessary to attract - and keep- rapidly expanding companies like Groupon in the state.

"This is a competitive environment," he said. "We want to encourage companies to create jobs here in Illinois."

The new Groupon jobs will be in departments including sales, marketing, software development and human resources, Solomon said.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
They are so over ran with companies wanting to get in the pipeline that they are coming up with new ways to get more deals in each area per day.
I don't know what it is yet...that's just what they tell me.

We'll see.

They still won't talk to me about dallas. lol

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I didn't know Illinois was that desperate, but maybe there's a few legislators that have a vested interest in the company.

Groupon doesn't share the money, they get their money first and the company desperate enough to work with them takes the loss. I'm sure there are some that this program does work for, but I think this going to fade out for all but those looking to unload outdated product.

Remember, you're not building loyalty for your business, you're building loyalty for Groupon.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I think that is a small investment for as many jobs being provided, how much would you be paying for welfare and unemployment?

Ryan

I agree with Crowley I'd rather see my tax dollars spent on something like that, then pissing it away to fat people sitting on their asses drawing checks.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
We're still gonna have plenty of fat people collecting checks. Now the companies that knock 70% off there service won't be able to stay in business let alone hire new people. No way would I go work my ass off for even 20% off my regular price.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom