Gunk in the grain

Mikey P

Administrator
My first time seeing dirt in the grain on real wood, trapped under a DYS topical..

Even a crb bristle is too large to dig into grain that fine.

Those 2 sided metal toothbrushes are fine enough and a great option in a small area. We ran into this at the PHX RMH where nothing but the tooth brush would get the funk out. Obviously high pressure would but with would that's wouldn't be too smart...
IMG_20191222_064540.jpg
IMG_20191222_064545.jpg

revitalize

Name
adrian
Use the gift of gab, that right there is a fine patina. Then throw down the sawdust, scrub it up, and collect check.

revitalize

Name
adrian
On a serious note, the finish on the wood is called a "wire brushed finish." I would suspect if (and thats a big if) you could rough up the finish enough without causing the aluminum oxide in the factory finish to show through, one could re-wire brush it and apply another layer of matte polyurethane. If anyone refinishes wood on the forum, maybe they could chime in...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
If anyone refinishes wood on the forum, maybe they could chime in...

I know enough to be thoroughly dangerous..

never heard of "wired brushed" finish though.
what it looks to me is dirt in the pores left and some kind of gUnk globed on

I'd make it brand new for $5sf

...L.T.A.

revitalize

Name
adrian

$5 per sf might be light for a price considering the extra steps to get the gunk out. Probably the most popular finished wood type sold over the last couple of years. A straight sanding will take the wire brushing off and one would be left with just a regular old hardwood floor.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Since the original finish looks terrible I'd recommend a refinish. That'd get rid of the engineered-finish gaps between boards that are filling with gunk.

Good luck.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom