Hacking out fringes on site

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Of course cleaning most area rugs on site is not always the ideal approach, and not neccessarily in the best interest of the rug, but there are frequently times, for whatever reason, that it is the only option.

Even when a rug itself is only lighty soiled, and a "freshening up" is in order, the part of the rug that can benefit the most visualy, is often the fringes.

Any tricks to improve fringe appearance in the field?

Any preferred tools to at the least brush the fringes to orient the strands so the look a little better?

I was thinking of trying a afro pick…

Name
Steve Lawrence
The PMF internal jet mph tool is very good at rinsing fringe on location. We'll usually put a mat or towel under the fringe, apply apply detergent, agitate with brush and rinse with the PMF drawing the fringe entirely into the tool for thorough rinsing.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Nice, Steve, that's above and beyond.
I don't do it, as on location I am too concerned both about water damage, wicking, potential browning or the smell from a fringe whitener (reducer) and or the fringes being later mislaid on rug when still damp and picking up the rug's dye.

Seems to work for you though.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I don't do it, as on location I am too concerned both about water damage, wicking, potential browning or the smell from a fringe whitener (reducer) and or the fringes being later mislaid on rug when still damp and picking up the rug's dye.

While I have cleaned many thousands of rugs on-site, I pretty much ignore the fringes; don't touch them, don't get them wet; mostly because they will cause damage to the wood floors underneath. Now if the rug is sitting on a tile floor that can withstand a soap and water drubbing, then fringes can be washed like any cotton fabric and you can use a floor wand or an upholstery tool to detail them. You can spray them with fringe cleaners which are peroxide solutions that will brighten them and also weaken them.

Of course cleaning most area rugs on site is not always the ideal approach

Try never the best approach. There are always alternatives. If there aren't the people don't want their rug properly cleaned. I can't do a half assed job and then a week later have the customer tell their friend I did a half assed job. Not like they will mention that somehow they made you do it on site. I know when and what to pass on. I would never do a rug on site, it cheapens my business.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
While I have cleaned many thousands of rugs on-site, I pretty much ignore the fringes; don't touch them, don't get them wet; mostly because they will cause damage to the wood floors underneath.

This is pretty much me exactly. I explain that one of the disadvantages to doing them on site is that I can't properly clean and treat the fringes on site. People almost always say that's fine and they understand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Some good ideas, as well as some very valid concerns, as i honestly did not consider the potential liability that arises from the meeting of wet cotton and hardwood floors.
It makes perfect sense.
Maybe a solution would be to "tab" the entire fringe with a length of kitchen wax paper from a roll, just as a precaution.I just happen to use a PMF internal tool, so I may give it a whirl, as it's a seems like a promising idea.

Try never the best approach. There are always alternatives. If there aren't the people don't want their rug properly cleaned. I can't do a half assed job and then a week later have the customer tell their friend I did a half assed job. Not like they will mention that somehow they made you do it on site. I know when and what to pass on. I would never do a rug on site, it cheapens my business.

I do not consider it as taboo as you.
Just so I am clear, I am not talking about most hand woven, primitive, expensive, trashed, or piss soaked area rugs. I have no problem passing on obvious problem jobs like this when a plant wash is the only option to deliver satisfactory results and a happy customer.
I am referring to lightly soiled items, machine made crap, or items that otherwise appear "clean", that a customer does not feel comfortable parting with, yet feels the need to have something done.
Often times the elderly.

Although I can see your logic, I do think your perception of it "cheapening" your business is purely subjective. A customers perception can be kept in "check" by clear explanations of the pros/cons of each process. It is always explained that an on site cleaning is to be considered a light surface cleaning only, and the many ways a plant cleaning is far superior, of course at 3x the price.

I see this discussion mirroring the different perspectives regarding water clawing urine.Of course, the "right" way to correct the situation is to pull the pad, replace the pad, seal the floor, flush the carpet, and shoot the dog, again, at 3x the price, but how often is that option chosen once both options are presented, and will you turn down a customer when they merely need someone to help them to "improve" their living conditions".
Business is Business.
My goal is to provide for my family by satisfying every customer I can.
Yes, I am the professional, and a customer should not dictate what is to be done, but once both options, and the expectations of each are clearly explained and understood, if I am confident enough that I can meet these expectations without it becoming a complete clusterfook, I am going to take it to the bank.

Although I take pride in my work, and strive to do the best job I can, I am not looking to save the world.

Last edited:
Name
Steve Lawrence

Ofer, we carry butcher paper on vans for various purposes, one being to lay a sheet under the fringe of rugs after cleaning. Also handy for putting under drapes that touch the floor after carpet cleaning, putting under rocking chair runners, putting down on some customer's traffic lanes, etc.

Reactions: ruff

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Steve,
That's great, you're definitely giving your clients a great additional value.

Personally, I'd (as explained in my post) just rather not take the extra risk, which is not limited only to potential wood damage.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't advocate doing them on location, but if you are there are plenty of this you could do that would lessen the potential collateral damage if you do need to.

You could cut up the tarps that Mark Saiger suggested buying into (4) strips http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ICKO74/ref=nosim/null to leave behind to prevent moisture damage. I'd fold the ends up back over onto the rug and slide the strips beneath the fringe so the floor is not even being used. Of course I'd use one the tarps to work on while cleaning the fringe. I'd also use a neutral detergent, so no questions later about bleach problems and I'd dry the fringes as best I could, even using terry towel so that you don't have browning problems if it takes too long to dry.

Make sure to pass on the extra costs of the tarp (2 rugs per tarp) to the client.

When we do a rug on location which is very rare for us, we don't clean the fringe. If there are soiled areas we explain the reason we don't clean them. Then qualify the use of a all purpose cleaner and spray and wipe, not saturating the fringe.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Jerry,
It is not an issue weather to clean on location or in plant.
I clean a lot of rugs on location, just not the fringes. Seem to be fine with my clients.

Reactions: jcooper

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I got ya, so it's generally just the fringe guys are staying away from. Not rugs on site all together :hopeless:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Yep.
The purists don't clean on location.
The rest of us, if the rug can be decently cleaned, do.

When I do clean on location, I explain to the client in no uncertain terms that it is a compromise (better price , no parting with the rug) and most definitely not the optimal cleaning.

hogjowl

Idiot™
There is no one in my market area who really cleans rugs properly. If there was, I'd refer them. There are, however, several who claim to.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
General run of the mill "pottery barn(or whatever)" rug that cost 3-400 bucks why turn down the work? By me, people aren't going to pay 3/4 bucks a foot to clean a some what cheap rug.

Thats exactly the price range that prices out a plant cleaning, and my market seems saturated with them.

It's a tough sell when the cost of cleaning off site approaches the price of a brand new replacement, and the customer knows it.

When faced with such a rug that is void of any serious condition issues, and the customer is educated on the limitations of an on site cleaning, and left to make a decision as to how they would like to proceed, if they still choose to have it cleaned on site, I totally agree with the "why turn down the work" philosophy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom