Had to pull the old girl out of mothballs.

Supportive Member
Credits
So glad I don't live in a neighborhood where they allow commercial vehicles to park in the driveway!
So you like over reaching government regulation dictating to you what you can do on your private property? I park my Express in the backyard. And have RV parking for the Promaster.

Supportive Member
Credits
Those were pretty good quality boats. If the stringers and transom are still good, probably worth putting some money in it
It's solid, just needs a good cleaning. Little things due to age and sitting in 110° warehouse for seven years, like the glue releasing from the side-wall (gunnel) upholstery. Easy fix. I just hope the engine is okay. It sat through some winters in that warehouse.

None of the trailer lights work and the tires are cracking. It was a tense trip home.

Last edited:
Supportive Member
Credits
Definitely a nice score. 3.0 or 4.3 engine?
4.3 V6 OMC Cobra / GM

If the engine is shot, I've already located another one to drop in. It's really clean, but I won't know until I fire her up and check things out. My last job today wasn't ready for me so I rescheduled. I'll be spending the rest of the day cleaning the boat. It's filled with leaves. When it got pulled out of the warehouse the dork parked it under a tree and it sat outside for 6 months :( . Not one rip in the upholstery.

Credits
Time to go pick up my free boat and take it home. The old van is the only one with a trailer hitch. It’s good for the old girl to stretch her legs. I need to get her out on a couple of jobs and keep the Dragon lubed.

View attachment 79134
Its a good looking van. Sell it and pay down your current setup or bank it for a safety net reserve.

Should be easy to move this Spring.

Credits
its all about an outboard.. the only boat that wont cost you thousands. Like working on a motorcycle engine, so easy.

get a boat with a solid hull and no soft floors, good transom and throw a brand new outboard and you have a boat that will last many years with very little cost.

Credits
its all about an outboard.. the only boat that wont cost you thousands. Like working on a motorcycle engine, so easy.

get a boat with a solid hull and no soft floors, good transom and throw a brand new outboard and you have a boat that will last many years with very little cost.
Brand new outboard will cost more than rebuilding that engine and leg.

Credits
Time to go pick up my free boat and take it home. The old van is the only one with a trailer hitch. It’s good for the old girl to stretch her legs. I need to get her out on a couple of jobs and keep the Dragon lubed.

View attachment 79134
I know this is off topic Damon.... the new van looks WAY BETTER.... great job. I loved the headroom when I had a chance to crawl into it to check it out in Oakland.... you did good with the wrap. Ryan Kettering(sp?) did a great job....

Credits
BRW
I know this is off topic Damon.... the new van looks WAY BETTER.... great job. I loved the headroom when I had a chance to crawl into it to check it out in Oakland.... you did good with the wrap. Ryan Kettering(sp?) did a great job....[/QUOTE
BTW, congratulations on the new boat. Hope it turns out well for ya. I’ve got a 21’ Bayliner lake boat that I get to play with each summer.... GOOD TIMES.... when I have a chance to use it....

Supportive Member
Credits
I know this is off topic Damon.... the new van looks WAY BETTER.... great job. I loved the headroom when I had a chance to crawl into it to check it out in Oakland.... you did good with the wrap. Ryan Kettering(sp?) did a great job....
Hey thanks! And don’t sweat it. I’m the king of off topic.

Supportive Member
Credits
Holy crap was this thing dirty. I had no idea. I have been cleaning this pig-boat for hours. Finally got dark and had to stop. The vinyl is very dirty but seems to be cleaning up nice with a lot of leather cleaner and elbow grease. Any of you Gurus know how to get the little black specks out, especially from the turquoise parts? @Jim Pemberton?

Seat before cleaning

IMG_6311.JPG

Seat After Cleaning

IMG_6310.JPG

A little cleaned spot

IMG_6309.JPG

Credits
Holy crap was this thing dirty. I had no idea. I have been cleaning this pig-boat for hours. Finally got dark and had to stop. The vinyl is very dirty but seems to be cleaning up nice with a lot of leather cleaner and elbow grease. Any of you Gurus know how to get the little black specks out, especially from the turquoise parts? @Jim Pemberton?

Seat before cleaning

View attachment 79167

Seat After Cleaning

View attachment 79168

A little cleaned spot

View attachment 79169
After you clean all the shyte out of it... and getting it looking like you want your wife and kids in it, in their bathing suits, find a product called Aerospace 303.... and go over ANYTHING that’s not metal or glass with it.... SPF 40..... you’ll thank me later.....

Credits
I believe in the expression, "There's nothing more expensive than a free boat". We'll find out soon enough.
The stories I could tell you about my dad's "free boat".... 1988 Chris Craft bowrider.

His "free boat" sat outside, uncovered for about 5 years in Michigan. I have spent hundreds of hours working on it. Started with redoing all the vinyl including the upholstery, engine cowling and padded sides. Most of it we had to replace the backer panels as well. Ungunked the fuel tank, installed new fuel pickup and pump, rebuilt the carb, redid the electrical system including battery and on and on and on.....

My wife and I did all the vinyl work and my dad and I worked on the mechanical stuff. It was a good experience working with the vinyl for my wife and me. Also nice bonding time with my dad who was in his early 80's at the time. It certainly turned out to be a HUGE money pit though.

All that time and energy fixing that boat could have been spent out on the water in a boat that could have been purchased for half what we put into it. A few hundred here, a few hundred there.

Boat- a hole in the water in which to pour money.

Credits
Brand new outboard will cost more than rebuilding that engine and leg.
depends, you can get a 75hp for not that much.. inboards or inboard/outboards will cost you thousands upon thousands over the years to keep running

buy 1 brand new 4 stroke outboard and your done for a long time.

Latest posts