HAGOPIAN HISTORY ( Hot Seat warm up)

Mikey P

Administrator
When talking about the Hagopian family business, the most influential member is the founder and late president of Hagopian & Sons, Haroutun Hagopian. Harry, as he was called, was a brilliant man determined to succeed in life. He was always thinking, creating, and challenging himself and his five children, Mary, Stephen, Edgar, Ilene, and Arthur. Haroutun never waited for things to happen -- he made them happen!

He began his working career as a Pharmacist in Istanbul. After escaping the Turkish massacre of 1.5 million Armenians that took place in 1915, he ultimately made his way to America in 1921. He came directly to Detroit because he, like many other Armenians, had heard that Ford Motor Company was offering wages of $5 per day. Over the next few years,Haroutun spent much of his personal time mixing fragrances and creating perfumes. This expertise was the basis for most of his future successes. He began selling his perfumes to women at work, which eventually led to his first business: The Cariana Perfume Company, named for his wife.

In 1931, and now on his own, Haroutun expanded his product line to include hydrogen peroxide for bleaching hair, dyes for hair, and other beauty shop preparations. He eventually developed and added janitorial and industrial cleaning compounds, as well as cleaning products for furriers. Thus began LaSalle Chemical Products Company. Several years later at the request of a Customer, Haroutun removed an ink stain from the carpet of a furrier store. While he was removing the stain, the Customer’s wife entered the store, saw the results and immediately spread the word. Haroutun responded to this new challenge and began concentrating in the carpet and rug cleaning field.

As Haroutun became familiar with carpet fibers he discovered that they, at the time being 100% wool, were very similar to human hair and the same products he produced for hair preparations could be used for removing stains and dyeing carpets. He then established the Carpet Dyeing Service Company, which, in or around 1939, was changed to Hagopian & Sons. His services were in high demand during World War II when no new carpet was available and everyone did what they could to make carpet last by cleaning and dyeing. As synthetic fibers became available the dyeing business diminished and cleaning became the main focus.

In 1948 Hagopian & Sons moved to 15180 W. 8 Mile Road in Oak Park and built a two-story rug cleaning plant, behind the Hagopian’s family home. In the 1950’s, Haroutun’s three sons, Stephen, Edgar and Arthur, joined the business. Edgar became the General Manager, Stephen was involved directly in cleaning, and Arthur worked in both sales and cleaning. Meanwhile, Haroutun was still going out on spotting calls. Wearing a suit and tie and carrying a black bag, his Customer list looked like the “Who’s Who of Detroit.â€Â

Bob Foster

Boy what a treat it is to have someone with this much heritage and experience share it with us. Hope he will also share some of the family secrets.

G

It is amazing to see that the third generation is able to keep the success continuing. It seems in most companies, when the founder of the company hands over the business to the kids, it falls apart. They were able to do this 2 times successfully.

Dave

G

Fascinating history.. honestly..

so respectfully. i have to admit.. that when I read this.. I once again ask myself.

"all of that history.. and yet you offer 99.00 whole house specials and do the unthinkable.. UPSELL... Why?""

I don't get it.

Respectfully,

Dobs

GRHeacock

I find the history very interesting and informative.

Thank you for doing it.

I had no idea the company was as diversified as it is.

Gary

JTaylor

Dobs

I see your point in a way, but is it whole house cleaning or in house cleaning?
We run a 3 room special with a free hall for $99.00 when things are slow people here love it.
JT

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom