Hair, Lint in finish

After stripping or scrubbing floors. Even after proper rinsing(flooding of the floor, with pad still on to reactivate the remaining stripper residue. And rinsing with a conditioner to prepare surface for waxing. Then with a shop vac , we pick it up. Then followed by clean dustmop 24" to remove anything before waxing. When we wax and start building our finish of 3-6 coats. We will look down to marvel at the shine. Thats when I will see a hair in the finish, sometimes in multiple areas. That is sickening after all the hard work. How do we keep the hair out! Should we vac the floors prior to waxing? is it coming from the vents? Is it because I am hairy? and its coming off of me. Is it because I am laundering the mopheads? Should I be buying disposable mopheads? Enquiring minds want to know? Thank You, Ron

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
If its a food store with alot of freezers just dont look down when you are done. LOL

If you look hard enough I think you will find something in any vct floor that has some size to it.

We are working for a large hospital in our area. They have given us 3 medical groups so far. Just want to get better. Thanks Larry

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
If you are using air movers to help dry the floor, they can blow hair, lint and whatever from other rooms or under displays and counters. Let the floor finish dry without additioanl air blowers.

The right type of mops, laundered properly should not leav lint. But you may have the wrong kind of mop. I suggest looped and sewn tail band, fibers of poly / cotton blend for apply the finish.

If you or your crew are hairy - wear hair nets.

Scott Warrington

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Or it could just be the simple fact its a large building and things like hair & lint follow the air flow of the building.

Try this:

Plastic and tape off all doors and windows

Tell the hospital to shut down the heating system

They also need to evacuate the building because people walking make air move.

You and your crew should have on tyvek jump suits

This should help to make sure there is not 1 thing on the floor

But I bet if you go looking you will still find hair or lint some place.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I have done everything from tacking the floor and backpack vacuuming it before applying floor finish with a micro fiber mop that I know has no hair or lint in it, no air movers, air movers that I have cleaned out before use, closed the floor vents, turned off the air, pulled the register covers, vacuumed all carpet in the area, etc, still get some hair in it

it seems to me to be that way on smaller jobs where carpet is in the surrounding areas, don't seem to be a problem on bigger open areas so I figure it must some how come from the indoor enviroment

Lonny

Supportive Member
use a flat microfiber floor mop to apply your finish- goes on more even and will pick up bits of hair, etc.
It is the only thing they are really good for IMO.
Granted, I have yet to see a 'perfect' finish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom