Hard to stay logged in

Name
Lee Stockwell
Dumped cookies twice, restarted computer. Got on and posted once. somehow got dumped back at old server message. ARGH!!! try try again...

DNS propagation

What exactly does 'dns propagation' mean?

Basically, web servers around the world have records tying your domain name to your IP address. If you change your address, it can take a while for all the servers out there to get the news. Many servers get the updated information in a matter of hours, if not minutes. Some may take longer.
On top of that, your connection ALSO keeps these records and will need to update them as well. Your best bet is to try to have the changes done at night, then turn off your system for the night. You can expect to see the changes by morning. You might also try flushing your 'dns cache' or even rebooting your modem and router and computer (shut down the comptuer and power off the modem and router for 90 seconds, then turn them back on one at a time: modem, then router, then computer).

How do I flush DNS information?

Sometimes a bad DNS entry will be cached and you will need to either flush the DNS cache to get rid of it, or wait up to 24 hours for it to be dropped from the cache automatically. You can however FORCE the flush from the system!

In Microsoft Windows, you can use the command ipconfig /flushdns to flush the DNS resolver cache. C:\\ipconfig /flushdns

In Mac OSX, you can use the command lookupd -flushcache to flush the DNS resolver cache. bash-2.05a$ lookupd -flushcache

In Linux, the nscd daemon manages the DNS cache. To flush the DNS cache, restart the nscd daemon. To restart the nscd daemon, use the command `/etc/rc.d/init.d/nscd restart`.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
For the computer geeks......when I open my Internet Explorer and try to go to a web site, all I get is "code". What did I do to cause that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom