Hardwood floors sand and refinish , can it be done in 1 day?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Just wondering if the finish can be applied in a day?. What's a good finish for commercial use?. How many coats.

thanks,
Albert

tubguy

It could be done in one if you used a water base product called "Traffic". Water base Traffic is harder than oil and has no smell. It has no color, though. If you want color, then the first coat is oil. The next day you can put water base over oil. I have done this for my rentals and it works quite well.

Mike

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i agree, if you use water based poly, it drys very fast, most manufacturers say that only two coats should be applied in a day. for a commercial setting with heavy foot traffic i would not go with less than 5. if its tables and chairs i would go 7. in my experience the water based poly does not go on as thick. i used to use minwax high build for rentals, but it takes forever to cure. if you use water based it typically can be reapplied immediatly after the first coat is dry, without sanding or scuffing. anything longer than 8 hrs i would definatly scuff, a maroon pad works great on a floor scurbber, just dont heel the machine. or it will eat threw a layer or two.

good luck.

show us pics when your done with it if you can please.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks. This is not something I have scheduled. The buildings in one of the jobs I did today have parquet floors on about 400 sqft on each floor. I thought I'd try to find the person in charge and see where it goes. Their in bad need of refinishing, I can do one floor and see how it goes. Never done it before. I have a cimex type of machine (800 rpm) rotating heads and would love to give it a shot.

How much would you charge psft. I haven't walked the buildings but from the looks of it there might be about 20-30 of these 400 sft areas. Thinking winter work.

Mike, who makes traffic?.

Albert

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
if your just going to scrub and recoat i wouldnt go less than 2.25 per sq ft

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
almost every supplier has some type of wood floor product that you can put down mulit coats in one day, some are acid etched with water & cleaner, some are maroon scrub on a rotary, some are screened

not sure how you would use a cimex, that would be a lot of cutting to get the pads to fit the heads

at $2 per sq that would be $800 per section X 20 of them, probably won't happen

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
These floors need sanding. The wood is visible in a lot of the floor. From what I understand the scuff and coat systems can't have any bare wood showing. I was thinking of putting 8" round sandpaper in the machine. Here's a pic of it.

DSCN1358_edit.jpg

What's the going rate for a full sand and coat. Areas are open.

thanks,
Albert

G

$1.25 a sqft is very good price; depending on the quality of your job; $1.75 per sqft for high quality methodical job. Last job I did hw refinish in a historical home tooks 2 days; good sand job thorough vac and cleaning 1 each day; and 2 coats glass finish. about 1900 sqft. $3325.00; and custy was very happy. Guys that exclusively do this get 5k same job.

P.S. Save yourself some work and rent a good sander machine instead; they have a vac system on them; makes for faster clean up.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
if you have to take them all the way down with that machine then you are in for a lot of work and you probably won't be able to do one in one day without different equipment

The wood is visible in a lot of the floor. From what I understand the scuff and coat systems can't have any bare wood showing
you are correct

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i charge 3.25 per square foot for complete resand and recoat. and for the ones from hell i charge more. i do alot of floors in my area and i dont seem to have any problems with people paying top dollar for a premium service.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I think I'm gonna have to hang this one up. I called the guy today and it turns out that they are looking for bids. There's about 5000 sft of this stuff. He told me to email him insurance info. I called my insurance and of course I'm not insured for hardwood. Also, this would be my first time and I don't feel like bs'ng my way through it.

Maybe next time.
Thanks for the info though.

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom