hardwood floors

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
I want to refinish my hardwood floors and possibly put a different color stain on them.

I am doing this because my house flooded and before I just rip them out and have them replaced I want to get some practice sanding and refinishing just in case I ever diversify.

Will I need a drum sander or can you do it with a rotary machine.

Anyway, any help would be great. Im excited about learning this.

Name
Ron lippold
you can use your 175 and some sanding screens 80-100-120- grit and some good finish from ultra chem labs slam dunk is the name of the product.

Name
Lee Stockwell
175 will work, but NO comparison to the results possible with a drum sander.

In either case, remove or countersink any nails you find (ideally shouldn't be any, but a stray will butcher your sandpaper). The key skill with the drum is to NOT slow down or stop as you make a pass. Stop cleanly as you touch the wall or stop line. That will minimize ripples and jagged edges. Of course you will have to detail with a smaller sander.

You will make a lot of "dust" so be prepared. Clean the floor well with oms and cheesecloth (or equivalent) before staining.

Stain: you can go from lighter to darker as needed. Going back to lighter is a problem. (do a closet first?)

Your flaws will not really show up until you have stained the floor. Thus you may have a judgement call to make before going on to urethane. It's easier to resand at this point if it's absolutely neccessary. More coats won't make flaws look better...

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
As Lee aluded to, if you plan on making a color shift, you will be better off doing a full sand down than trying to rotary screen the finish off only. But I guess we should ask, did the wood have a natural finish or a stained finish to start with?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom