Has this ever happened to you?

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I just wrapped up a bank job last night and where the coupler was sittiing on the nylon carpet where the carpet was wet, it remove the color of the carpet, just where the coupler sat. Just a small line, but I have never had it happen. Guess I better be a little more careful with the heat in the future. I told them I would take care of it but they said it wasn't a problem.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I will from here on out. Usually on any commercial I do, I can get off the carpet with 100' so this situation doesn't come into play. I will be much more careful from here on out.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
With 6th gen nylon the dyes are more unstable to exposure to high heat. Have to be careful when using an iron and steamer to remove stains to not remove the carpet dye as well. We didn't have as much of a problem with this issue with 5th generation nylon.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
... saftey coupler is always an option as well. Just a quick question from our sponors.. what were you using to precondition and what did you use to rinse with. Heat is a huge issue, but it ends up being the heat combined with buffered alkalinty that tends to be the key factore on the type 6 we noticed.

Name
R.J. Povio
never had that happen, but good to know and watch out for. We always wrap out QD's but sometimes the QD's wrap is slightly ripped/torn. How hot at the TM did you have your water temp?

On polyester carpet in someones house we had the solution hose leave a snake like imprint (sort of slightly melted, but not crusty to the touch) on the carpet, and I only at the max run the water temp at 210 at the TM. That surprised me. I was able to rake and brush it out enough so the custy never noticed.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Got color loss while using a steam iron and Red 1 on a rental. Good thing I had my "dye sticks" on the truck.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I've seen this happen a number of times on type 6 nylon over the years.

If you think about it, the hot quick connect, and "wet spot" from the drip only needs a "hot" preconditioner to duplicate the early methods of dye stain removal we used to use in the 80's.

Of course the dye you are removing isn't Koolaid in this case.

I'm with David: Tell us what prespray was on the carpet when this happened.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
No prespray on the carpet, it was already cleaned from the previous day. The coupler left a wet spot on the carpet from when it wasn't under pressure and was in the same place for 3 hours. I use Trashed Green Label. The temp was at 250.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
First time you cleaned it?

If the last several cleanings have held the carpet in a higher alkaline state, the dyes may have already been loosend. You simply add the final accelerant equation.

But I may be quick to point out that Trashed Green has oxidizers added to it as well... ergo oxidizers plus possibly loose dyes, plus lots of heat = a good dye remover.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
They said the carpet has not been cleaned, it is 7-8 years old, so I can only assume your theory maybe correct.

G

Gnu

I think it had to be cleaned within 8 years and I am guessing it was encapped. so any moisture would have made the stain fade out with the combined heat. hell I dont know I aint never cook carpet before, but fried tall grass in a custys lawn today. she musta had had 6-10 martinis in the time I was there. no wonder the grass aint been mowed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom