Have you ever seen a homemade TM?

Name
I'm Rick James
I have heard of people trying to but never seen one. I'm just curious if there are pics out there.

:mrgreen:

G

Mine is partially homemade,thats because engineers dont do the maintanence.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I built one in '92.
actually a collaboration with a friend that owned a small engine and generator repair shop.
he had the shop, tools and knowledge.
I could of never done it back then with out him.

It wasn't as easy as I "thought"

biggest challenge was turning the 47 blower
i had LOTS of probs and lots of engineering changes and it still smoked belts regularly.

i don't have any pics of it, but assure you, it was no thing of beauty...

..L.T.A.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Larry's experience is fairly representative of people's attempts at a self built unit.

And it has nothing to do with knowledge, experience or skill. Even the largest of manufacturers with CAD design with state of the art stress analysis software, create prototypes that require tens of thousands of dollars of R&D and shakeout to perfect the design to a point where it could be offered up for sale. It's no wonder that self-built units would end up as a rather expensive proposition.

If you go into it with the mindset that the venture is going to be a pricey hobby project, then I can see how it might be fulfilling. But it would indeed be an expensive gamble with long-shot odds that you would actually end up saving money over purchasing a tried and tested design "off the shelf".

gasaxe

Shawn Forsythe said:
Larry's experience is fairly representative of people's attempts at a self built unit.

And it has nothing to do with knowledge, experience or skill. Even the largest of manufacturers with CAD design with state of the art stress analysis software, create prototypes that require tens of thousands of dollars of R&D and shakeout to perfect the design to a point where it could be offered up for sale. It's no wonder that self-built units would end up as a rather expensive proposition.

If you go into it with the mindset that the venture is going to be a pricey hobby project, then I can see how it might be fulfilling. But it would indeed be an expensive gamble with long-shot odds that you would actually end up saving money over purchasing a tried and tested design "off the shelf".

what a load of crap.......

there are a ton of these tin can pieces of crap that are built by some of these well known manufacturers that are full of problems.
If you have some basic mechanical skilzzz and know someone who can weld half way decent you can put together a unit that would give you years of service. It would give you a much better understanding of whats going on outside why your busy toiling away inside the house.
The plastic tanks now offered by mytee, if they do hold up well, would make things cheaper and easier as you wouldnt have to have a waste tank built. Propane heat or a simple heat exchanger system and off you go.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Gasaxe,

I guess I can't help it if you either didn't read, or understand my post.

First, never did I say it was impossible to make a home-made gem of a machine the first time out. I simply said the odds were long.

Second, nothing I said precluded manufacturers from producing junk as well, and more than a handful do just that.

gasaxe

Shawn Forsythe said:
Gasaxe,

First, never did I say it was impossible to make a home-made gem of a machine the first time out. I simply said the odds were long.

Second, nothing I said precluded manufacturers from producing junk as well, and more than a handful do just that.

what i read was that you feel that building a unit yourself is a high cost long shot at best.

If that interpretation was wrong then my bad..

gasaxe

"Even the largest of manufacturers with CAD design with state of the art stress analysis software, create prototypes that require tens of thousands of dollars of R&D and shakeout to perfect the design to a point where it could be offered up for sale. It's no wonder that self-built units would end up as a rather expensive proposition."

this is exactly the reason for much of the problems with most manufactured units. OVERENGINEERED... these things arent space shuttles. vaccum and hot water are not really complex things.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm curious, Gas, have you ever built one?

If so, was it right the first time, or did you need to make modifications/changes to the original design?
(ASSuming it was your own design and not a re-work/simplification of existing TM)

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
PS, Nick Nelos makes a "simple" TM
Duane O does too.

They qualify as "home built" to "me"

do you know anyone that owns and regularly runs one?

..L.T.A.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I'm currently gathering the parts to build a machine powered by a 80hp 4cyl Mercedes diesel.

It's going to have ALLOT of wasted power only turning 2 # 4's or 1 #5... hoping to get a Roots 68 for it to spin.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Gasaxe,

What is your perspective? You seem to purport yourself as one who has worked for a TM manufacturer. "Over-engineered"??? What do you mean exactly? It has been my experience that properly engineered beats haphazzard under most circumstances.

For myself, working for a manufacture of TM's IN R&D for well over 20 years, and in distribution for 5, I've seen a great share of broken brackets, failed systems to know that even with best efforts, the real test is in the field, with a great many hours of function to see how torque, axial & rotational vibration reacts with the system as whole. Indeed, i have seen a great many failures that came from experimentation and engineering gone wrong, and it had nothing to do with a manufacturer making intentional errors. In fact, I've seen many manufacturers go under simply because of the costs involved with supporting failed attempts and equipment that had not undergone adequate design testing and tuning before release.

Your posts seem to indicate that in your experience, home-built machines are easy, but nearly all TM manufacturers all conspire to produce unworkable product.

Name
I'm Rick James
meAt said:
PS, Nick Nelos makes a "simple" TM
Duane O does too.

They qualify as "home built" to "me"

do you know anyone that owns and regularly runs one?

..L.T.A.

I agree, it just seems like a real basic design that someone would do in their garage. Timp posted a link to someone who made their own. Im not going to make my own, I am just impressed with those who can and do.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
And Shawn...BTW, thank you very very much for all that hard work and devotion........

it's payin' off quite well for me!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The Green One said:
I agree, it just seems like a real basic design that someone would do in their garage. Timp posted a link to someone who made their own. Im not going to make my own, I am just impressed with those who can and do.

Honestly, i think it would cool to build another one.
Knowing what i know now, and also now having access to a machine/fab shop that my shooting pa'dner owns, I'm sure it would be much better than my first attempt. (BTW, I ran that TM for 2000 hours before i bought another one)

Truth is though, it would be a "hobby" build and not out of necessity or $aving$ like the first one

i think a small block Chevy, 56 blower, 5cp Cat, and everything blinged out in chrome, braided stainless hoses and diamond plate, all mounted on an open trailer with some pimp rims...

would be just too fookin cool 8) 8)

..L.T.A.

TimP

meAt said:
The Green One said:

Knowing what i know now, and also now having access to a machine/fab shop that my shooting pa'dner owns, I'm sure it would be much better than my first attempt. (BTW, I ran that TM for 2000 hours before i bought another one)

Truth is though, it would be a "hobby" build and not out of necessity or $aving$ like the first one

i think a small block Chevy, 56 blower, 5cp Cat, and everything blinged out in chrome, braided stainless hoses and diamond plate, all mounted on an open trailer with some pimp rims...

..L.T.A.

All you're missing is the mean tiger cut out on the stainless face plate....... :shock:

G

Shawn, I think what Gasaxe was trying to point out was,most truckmounts are not simplistic enough.

Mikey P

Administrator
EZducttape-1.jpg

gasaxe

meAt said:
I'm curious, Gas, have you ever built one?

If so, was it right the first time, or did you need to make modifications/changes to the original design?
(ASSuming it was your own design and not a re-work/simplification of existing TM)

..L.T.A.

yes and yes.......... all truck mounts are a re-work or simplification of a existing truckmount..

up until the current truck i have i used a "homemade" truck mount. It went through two vehicles two engines and two blowers. It always did its job well. I do like to tinker so was always trying new ideas out some worked well some not so well but the basic design stayed the same.
I built my stepdad a unit 7-8 years ago so he could take early retirement from working high voltage (entergy) It works fine and has proven very reliable. Once in a blue moon, just like any machine, something needs fixed. there are things that i learn with every unit ive built thats just the nature of building one.

No i dont work for or have never worked for a tm manufacturer

not everyone could or should try to accomplish building a tm but i wouldnt try to discourage someone from it the way yall have.

I havent seen the ez unit or one of duanes units so i cant coment on those but if they are built for sale to the public then i consider it a manufactured tm wether its built at home or not... Some are UNDER engineered..lol and some are over engineered.
I like the judson units they seem to keep the concept simple. I think the biggest problem with some manufacturers is trying to place to much equipment in too small a space and trying to use heat exchangers on small units when there isnt enough heat output to supply needed temps among other things.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
thanks Gaz

if i recall right, you're the guy that rebuilt a Beiring(sp?) Vortex?

if i recall you did a LOT of things the "average" mechanical guy wouldn't/couldn't do.
You're knowledge, contacts , resources and tools/equipment available were well beyond the "average" back yard mechanic/fabricator
( if you're the guy I'm thinking about)

so in all truth, i don't think you're representative of the "average schmoe" like me or others that have "some" ability .
Which is what I understand Shawn to be speaking of when he says my experience was "representative" of most home builders.

personally, i wouldn't "discourage" a dude from building his own if he enjoys that stuff.
but if his resources were limited, I'd suggest he'd be better off finding a worn out TM of proven design with good frame and rebuild/refurbish make mods from there

..L.T.A.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
meAt said:
The Green One said:

..L.T.A.

That would be awesome. I have a complete 245 HP chevy 305 from my project trans am. It is in perfect working order and only has 28,000 miles on it since a rebuild. I would like to see if I could get parts to build a massive slide in for a reasonable amount of money.

The Preacher

Shawn Forsythe said:
Gasaxe,

why couldn't the first post have been in verbal brevity like #2??? :shock:

gasaxe

meAt said:
thanks Gaz

if i recall right, you're the guy that rebuilt a Beiring(sp?) Vortex?

if i recall you did a LOT of things the "average" mechanical guy wouldn't/couldn't do.
You're knowledge, contacts , resources and tools/equipment available were well beyond the "average" back yard mechanic/fabricator
( if you're the guy I'm thinking about)

so in all truth, i don't think you're representative of the "average schmoe" like me or others that have "some" ability .
Which is what I understand Shawn to be speaking of when he says my experience was "representative" of most home builders.

personally, i wouldn't "discourage" a dude from building his own if he enjoys that stuff.
but if his resources were limited, I'd suggest he'd be better off finding a worn out TM of proven design with good frame and rebuild/refurbish make mods from there

..L.T.A.

yes i do have a petersen mfg./ bering chassis vortex but i did not rebuild it. It had 34k and 1000hrs on it (2000 model) from what i understand those trucks had bad exhaust to oil heat exchangers and a crappy diverter. this truck had a newer heat exchanger and the diverter changed out. The heat exchanger needed a little work had a very small leak on one of the endplate welds. The exhaust diverter was a good idea, a diesel engine style exhaust brake with a air pump for activation using the original analog controller. I fixed that and installed a digital controller so i can increase the oil temp above 250. Hopefully this winter ill be ditching the xtherm/dynalene and going straight exhaust to water. Im nothing more than a self taught backyard mechanic. Ive never had any real formal mechanic,welding,fabrication education. My dad was a parts man for ford and did some bracket racing years ago so ive been brought up around the performace auto field. I taught myself how to weld (mig,tig,&stick) and watch alot of tv shows and read books about mechanical fabrication stuff.

All that being said i still think someone with some basic mechanical skills and small assortment of shop tools,drills,etc can build a straight forward simplified unit. It aint gonna have all the bells and whistles but you shouldnt have to worry about taking it to a supplier to fix something you can do it yourself. It would be a big help if you knew somebody with a welder. Its a good excuse to wright off shop tools..lol

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
SRI Cleaning said:
That would be awesome. I have a complete 245 HP chevy 305 from my project trans am. It is in perfect working order and only has 28,000 miles on it since a rebuild. I would like to see if I could get parts to build a massive slide in for a reasonable amount of money.

that would depend on what "reasonable" is to you, Anthony
In the one I was describing, "built to the hilt" with eye candy chrome, top of the line hardware and components, i could easily see upwards of $25K in materials before all is said done.
It really wouldn't be practical though and would be like a "show car" that some dudes trailer to shows.
It's just a "pipe dream" to me and would never become a reality unless i hit the lotto or sump'um

since you already have a fresh motor, I'd venture a "guess" you could make a practical super sucker with top quality components, hardware and screaming heat in the $7 to $12K range

..L.T.A.

gasaxe

meAt said:
SRI Cleaning said:

that would depend on what "reasonable" is to you, Anthony
In the one I was describing, "built to the hilt" with eye candy chrome, top of the line hardware and components, i could easily see upwards of $25K in materials before all is said done.
It really wouldn't be practical though and would be like a "show car" that some dudes trailer to shows.
It's just a "pipe dream" to me and would never become a reality unless i hit the lotto or sump'um

since you already have a fresh motor, I'd venture a "guess" you could make a practical super sucker with top quality components, hardware and screaming heat in the $7 to $12K range

..L.T.A.

i would stay away from a large v8 gas burner bcause of weight and fuel usage. even a #6 roots only needs about a 60 horse gas/diesel engine to spin it at full load. anything bigger than that is overkill engine wise. You could even spin a true #7 with 80 to 100hp. These blowers get awful heavy when you get into the bigger frame sizes. a cummins 4b turbo or a 4cyl gasser should be plenty fuel freindly and save weight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom