Chads

Supportive Member
does any one know what the little giant heaters look like inside

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
like what part inside??

they are (depending size) 3 different coils of copper that come to a bigger connection point, for the inlet and outlet sides....real basic really

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
This is one of their very early brochures

Not much has changed.

early_brochure.jpg

Kelly

That's pretty much the drift of it..the ones I have had apart look pretty much like the picture..three copper coils ...getting bigger from the inside out.... and wrapped around each other. Connected at the top and the bottom.

Chads

Supportive Member
well i'm thinking about building my own heater for my truckmount
Thanks Guys

Chads said:
does any one know what the little giant heaters look like inside
Hi, Chads:

We've been using the Little Giant Heater since 1974.
Actually I've been involved with the development of the Little Giant Heaters, and one of the improvements that I assisted with was in moving the location of the thermostat from the bottom of the old H heaters to the top, like the HT heaters have.
This modification, allowed the thermostat to read the hot water faster, and turn off the gas flow to prevent spiking. Also, with the #4HT, the first one's had electrical ignition systems, which were very trouble prone.
I put a thermostat from a #3HT to a #4HT and let a local carpet cleaner test it for and extended period of time, and this seemed to work fine.

In the early days of Little Giant, one of the problems was where the coil fittings come out of the housing. They were sitting on the housing metal and would rub a hole through the fitting pipe, kind of like if you were to cut it with a hack saw. Now they have steel sleeves over the coil fittings.

One thing I would like to see with the Little Giant heater, is a stainless steel coil. I know stainless is not as conductive as copper, so the coil would probably have to be twice as long.

bestpaton.jpg

Chads, I have lots of used coils that people have let freeze and can't be repaired. If you would like any of these for a pattern, just let me know.

Les

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
stainless or sched 40....the problem with the sched 40 is i have to let it purge with the heat on for about 5 mins...cuz its nasty...if i knew that ahead of time i would have spent the extra $700 for stainless...

http://www.silverhawke.com/carpetcleaner.htm

went up a few $$$ for the stainless...

best 2 grand i have spent...its a beast and makes ridiculas heat..(wont work with uph tools though)

had a little giant and when it froze i bought this..its cool

Greenie

Blackpipe coils are lame for carpet cleaning, leave that to pressure washing, copper or stainless is better suited.

ps: a LG heater ain't that expensive, seriously when you look at the burner ring, gas valve, and complex coil for starters, it's a pretty good value, they start about $800, and decent lightly used ones are $500, but buyer beware on older heaters (5+ years), it's just not worth the hassle of a potential repetitive leak popping up each month.

Also the copper coil is the majority of the cost, so this is why many guys just replace an old burnt out one with new.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Greenie,

I was wondering why you thought the SCH 80 coils were not suited for carpet cleaning?

Thanks,

Bob

Chads

Supportive Member
thanks for the info I have a background in propane so I thought I might Be able to put some of that knowledge to use and save some money just getting some Idea's I'm thinking in a propane assisted heat exchanger with the two combined or possibly piggy backed

Greenie

Bob, this is the reason I would avoid black pipe:

floorguy said:
stainless or sched 40....the problem with the sched 40 is i have to let it purge with the heat on for about 5 mins...cuz its nasty...if i knew that ahead of time i would have spent the extra $700 for stainless...

http://www.silverhawke.com/carpetcleaner.htm

went up a few $$$ for the stainless...

best 2 grand i have spent...its a beast and makes ridiculas heat..(wont work with uph tools though)

had a little giant and when it froze i bought this..its cool

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ohhh on another note, those times i rinse with the judson juice...it doesnt need to be purged as much...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom