Help Bidding VCT

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I have a company that I do work for that has several medical facilities that they take care of. I am currently cleaning all the carpet and furniture in these facilities once per year. They have been after me the last few years to give them a price on stripping and waxing all their floors as well. I went today to see what all they had. The first building has a hallway that is aproxamately 1000sf and then a bunch of medical and exam rooms that total another 3400sf. This would need to be done over 2 weekends as they do half at a time. The next building has a suite on the first floor thats roughly 900sf of hallways, bathrooms and exam rooms along with one on the 2nd floor that aprox 1600sf of the same. This would all get done on 1 weekend. The last facility is 950sf of exam rooms and bathrooms. The only specifications they have given me is that it needs to be stripped and 5 coats of wax applied.
What would you charge for this type of job? What type of stripper and wax would you use? What type of equipment would you use as well? Any info is appreciated. Heres a couple of pics of 1 of the floors.
IMG_0162.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg

Name
Nate W.
That's actually sheet vinyl with welded seams... I believe in 6' widths... Some expensive stuff over actual VCT...

I have never done stripping or waxing but been toying with the idea of bidding on it and subbing it out to make something off it and give the customer a more complete package...

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Looks like the armstrong vinyl. Pretty sure you cant use black/brown pad but check their website to verify.

Medical exam rooms are pretty tedious with moving all that furniture. I would suggest going higher rather than lower, .70 or higher.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Some of the tile is actually vct but I wanted to show you guys pics of that because Ive never done anything like that. All the exam rooms will be empty although they are smaller with more edges.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Would you use a 175 with spp pads? Black stripping pads? Stripping brushes? Square scrub?

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
we did a vet clinic a few weeks ago
easy to strip i mean real easy.
if its a good customer we got .60 we did it a few years ago and they called us back to do it.
again after they got horrible customer service from the other guy.
3 coats really looked good
we use a propane stripping machine but a rotary would have been fine black pad i guess.
just rinse very well don't worry about it.2 of us stripped it in 7 hrs and went back the next day and put wax down and of course touched up the areas we missed i think ours was 3500 sq ft also.
i used that propane stripping machine you can not get any more aggressive then that thing.call me if ya have any questions
but way easier than regular vct.
i used a aggressive stripper also.i use the same stuff all the time find something that works and stick with it
really u could dry strip it too but would be slow.
thats what got me into vct is doing carpets for people.
its good money if ya charge enough and buy a bunch of equipment so production is high

Reactions: jwfoulk12

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
What stripper did you use? Is their one you guys reccomend over another? How are you guys applying finish? With a flat mop? Anybody using the rubbermaid backpack system?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Justin, if you are open to suggestions, I suggest you go visit a couple of local nursing homes. Somewhere nearby there is a floor so incredibly well done that it will blow you away. Inquire and meet the guy who mantains that floor and ask him to show you. He'll know what to use locally and be able to coach you for the price of a little volunteer labor and maybe a sixpack.

Or two.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
So I just got the call that I got the job. Now i need to finish rounding up supplies so any input from you guys who do this regularly is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom