Help with my new (to me) hm cds 4.8 2006

benjam99

Hey guys I know there is a ton of expertise available here.. I recently acquired this tm and van, a 2006 chevy 3500. Tm has 1250 hrs. van has 57,000 miles.
My issue is that when I engage the clutch everything goes as expected but without coming up to 1500 rpm. It will work as it should sometimes, but not predictably.
Before you ask I have made sure that the ac is off, and the e-brake is on.
I am moving from a slide in to this cds, so this problem is outside the scope of my experience.. naturally I would like to be able to use the new machine for the restaurant i have scheduled on monday night. I am 2 hrs from a supplier.
In other info the computer under the dash says has sometimes been blank vspeed, idle1 flashing.
When I tested the unit out there were no problems except a leaking float valve.. now sorted.
Thank you for any help..

Chris A

Name
Chris
My first guess would be the e-brake sensor wire coming out of the fuse box under the drivers seat. Its should be 18 guage and head towards the machines panel. Maybe bad connection there? That's the easiest fix and it happened on my 07 CDS.

Reactions: benjam99

benjam99

Thank you I'll check that as soon as I can..
What is up with that fuse panel location?! Had to pull the drivers seat to see the blown fuse for the power reel.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
if it has the pods that are connected to the gas peddle I would start there...that's what mine would do...cable would stretch or come loose.......they may just need adjusting.........

benjam99

Long day today.. Ill be checking into this over the weekend. Thank you for your helpful replies.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
If you just want to use the CDS system, just put a stick on the gas pedal attached to the driver's seat until you achieve the desired RPMs. Old school repair.

FredC

Village Idiot
Oh cool... You have 9 post, no info of you and want advice.

he gave you the info you need to help diagnose the issue.............

Don't be a profile nazi...what is it with folks named Joe?...............and Bob............

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Jesus h Christ Art......if the computer can't be made to operate the RPM....jus get a small linier solenoud and attach it to the end of the gas peddle..on the inside of firewall

Last edited:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Jesus h Christ Art......if the computer can't be made to operate the RPM....jus get a small linier solenoud and attach it to the end of the gas peddle..on the inside of firewall
Yeah right, Bob. Like that's going to happen. He'll cram a stick on the gas pedal until he gets it repaired.

benjam99

Joe don't go.. My skin isn't quite so thin as to be bothered by your comment..
So it would appear that the problem was actually related to the aftermarket stereo I put in. Unless it reappears that is all I can conclude. The factory stereo was just an am/fm radio, and my buddy and I wanted tunes on our way from Houston to where I am in Washington state.. The speakers were blown too.. new stereo sounded like crap all the way home.. After getting the new float and replacing it, I got to testing out the unit and discovered the problem. I've been all through the unit and have found a few small things to fix all along the way. My wife suggested that I pull the stereo and see if that made any difference.. sure enough after removing the stereo I haven't had a problem.
If it comes back and I am able to determine the cause beyond the stereo I will post back..
Thank all of you for your expertise and suggestions.

FredC

Village Idiot
I apologize for being a profile nazi on your board Fred. A humble good bye...

A. THIS IS NOT my board.........take a look at the logo for more info.
B. I don't see any reason for you to call out long time members looking for help on an issue...regardless of post count
C. but if you're going to be a butthurtbob over it...........

FredC

Village Idiot
Its been a long time since I could actually call myself an "electronics technichian" but........

Did you and your buddy tap into circuits other than the OEM radio to install the new radio?

The control module is looking for certain signals to determine what is happening with the vehicle....

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
eh.. whatever fred. I know it's not your board, It's Mikeys! I just wanted to see how far your nazi antics would carry on for.

BenJam99 i'm glad you figured out your problem.

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
I have the 2004 CDS and have had the same problem at times. It seems to happen only when the moter is not warmed up. I know normaly you drive to the job but we do alot of testing on things so we just start the truck and go.

Is this how you tested yours?

benjam99

No additional circuits were tapped, however the chimes and tones (seatbelt, door ajar, key in ign) come through the stereo and required an adaptor to translate them. That could be where the problem lays.. at the moment if no radio fixes the issue.. thats cool, I never have the stereo loud enough to hear when I'm inside working anyway.

As far as the cold starting to test I've done it both ways.. the first time it happened I had gone for a drive to warm everything up. Since then I've checked circuits, gone over the wiring, replaced a toasted apo connection, etc hoping that each tiny thing will be IT.. trying the machine, depending on how long it had been since I had done anything with the van it was in about every stage of temp.

I was ready to take it to the supplier and be raked over the coals financially, and now we'll see how it goes tonight. Hopefully that won't be necessary..

benjam99

Well for anyone that is interested, The job went beautifully without a single hiccup. I may need to run the heat lower as it sure does make some hot water, the closest thing to a problem I had was filling up the waste tank with clean hot water. APO worked great too though.
I'm very glad I purchased this rig.. Fuel economy was inline with the claims right about 1.5 gph..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom