Help with my TM

Name
The President
I have a hotshot TM with 10 hours on it. I was doing a carpet job yesterday with a new wand (WP 14" 4 jet 9502) and it wouldn't kick the diesel burner on (guessing need bigger jets). Am I right?

The burner would kick on if I also connected the whip hose and opened the valve.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I have a hotshot TM with 10 hours on it. I was doing a carpet job yesterday with a new wand (WP 14" 4 jet 9502) and it wouldn't kick the diesel burner on (guessing need bigger jets). Am I right?

NAH..no reason it shouldn't kick on with that flow ..it's MORE than enough flow .
if it won't fire at that flow, you'll never get hot water with upl tools..and you "should"

I'm not familiar with your TM or heater, but your flow switch is faulty (or the wrong one for our application) and needs more flow than it should to allow the burner to fire

..L.T.A.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
You said the wand was new, do you have another wand that came with the TM that the heater does fire when you use it?

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
How long was it running and how long did you trigger the wand

Name
The President
The burner would fire with the whip hose connected and open. But psi would drop.
If I just had wand connected I had plenty of psi but no heat.

I don't have another wand to compare. This one is a WP 4 jet with 9502's. I used the TM the day before with no issues.

Name
The President
How long was it running and how long did you trigger the wand

It was running over an hour with no heat without whip hose connected and open. I was triggering the wand non stop while looking at front panel of the TM. It wouldn't get over 185 degrees. My burner is 320,000 BTU diesel fired. Never had an issue...til now

Name
The President
I jut hooked up my tile spinner and the TM ran flawlessly. Psi was perfect and heat was reading 240 degrees. I then unhooked the spinner and tried the carpet wand. It had plenty of psi but no heat. The burner wasn't firing and yes I was pulling the trigger. Also the jets weren't spraying a fan like pattern. They all had just a weak stream of water. So basically it has to be the jets.

Name
The President
So bigger jets?........

The burner kicked on fine with my turbo spinner and cobra. So flow switch works.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
[QUOTE Also the jets weren't spraying a fan like pattern. They all had just a weak stream of water. So basically it has to be the jets.[/QUOTE]

Does your wand have strainers behind the jets or between the valve and quick connect? If so, see if they need to be cleaned. Jets rarely clog in exactly the same pattern, though you should check them too.

Name
The President
[QUOTE Also the jets weren't spraying a fan like pattern. They all had just a weak stream of water. So basically it has to be the jets.

Does your wand have strainers behind the jets or between the valve and quick connect? If so, see if they need to be cleaned. Jets rarely clog in exactly the same pattern, though you should check them too.[/QUOTE]

No strainers or filters clogged. It's a new wand.

Name
The President
no
you have said you a WP 14" 4 jet 9502

that's WAY more than enough flow if the wand isn't clogged or wand valve faulty

..L.T.A.

The TM works just fine with my tile cleaning tools. But not with the wand. I was told smaller jets would help with the burner. Your right I have plenty of flow with the 02's but for some reason the burner won't fire...I'm confused.

Ron K

Turn the heater off and trigger the wand into a 5 gallon bucket. How much water is in the bucket after 1 minute??

I think the issue is in the wand not the TM.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Just cuz the wand is new doesn't mean the jets aren't plugged. Check them or change them with the same size replacements. If that's not it try another wand. Do you have a friend that has a wand you can try with your unit?

Scott Rogers

The burner would fire with the whip hose connected and open. But psi would drop.
If I just had wand connected I had plenty of psi but no heat.

I don't have another wand to compare. This one is a WP 4 jet with 9502's. I used the TM the day before with no issues.

Could be the jets could be the trigger could be the quick connect. one of those is limiting your flow rate below what is required to make the heater fire.

Name
The President
Ill try different hoses and check the jets. I don have another wand or access to one. Ill also turn off the heater and spray water into a bucket for a minute. Thanks.

FredC

Village Idiot
Edit: (probably should list this first): but verify what you actually have first...may just be faulty

Like Larry said FLOW SWITCH ...you need one that fires at a lower flow rate. The 8 flow (4 #2 jets) wand you are using only generates 1GPM @ 300psi ...or 2.3GPM @ 500psi w/ 100ft of hose.

This is below the flow switch "engagement" of most NON-ENGINEERED carpet cleaning systems incorporating diesel burners ........which are normally seen in the pressure washing industry and fire @ 2.5-3gpm.

Your tile tools with larger jets AND much higher PSI are more likely to cause the heater to fire.

YES adding larger jets could get your heater to fire due to an increase in flow/gpm. It is very likely that doing so will just give you a bunch of hot water that you can't recover.........and is not going to provide heat to your lower flow tools like upholstery

Find a FLOW SWITCH that fires at a lower flow........

If you need help post pics/specs of your heater/burner here.

OR call Duane Oxley....http://acceleratedtruckmounts.com/index.php?route=information/contact who I am sure would be glad to give you some advice..........while I understand the "overall" he is likely to be able to provide you with system/burner specific advice

or contact masterblend:

http://www.masterblend.net/component/contact/12

I believe they use a lower flow switch...this one last I heard:

http://www.***************/northstar-pressure-washer-reed-flow-switch-784621-p-11390.html (*******may not be appropriate for your system)

but verify what you actually have first...may just be faulty

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
There is clogged plumbing in the wand itself, given the observation about its spray pattern. Likely trash in QC, or filter you may not have noticed between it and the valve.

What Fred said about the flow switch is 100% accurate as well.

Name
The President
I just spoke with the mnfg. Here's what he said :

Zac, it's not a flow switch that you need. you need a flow restrictor (half inch ball valve) placed on the input side of the high pressure pump. this restricts the high volume of water that we have to feed into the pump for high volume hard surface cleaning to a slower flow rate. It takes about 10 minutes to install.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I just spoke with the mnfg. Here's what he said :

Zac, it's not a flow switch that you need. you need a flow restrictor (half inch ball valve) placed on the input side of the high pressure pump. this restricts the high volume of water that we have to feed into the pump for high volume hard surface cleaning to a slower flow rate

am I the only one that's confused ??

..L.T.A.

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
you need a flow restrictor (half inch ball valve) placed on the input side of the high pressure pump. this restricts the high volume of water that we have to feed into the pump for high volume hard surface cleaning to a slower flow rate.

Yes that's one way to slow down the volume of water going past the flow switch allowing it to fire the burner but I think you'll regret doing that.

Adding something before the pump to "artificially trick" the flow switch to fire is silly. If it's not a wand or jet issue, you should just change the flow switch to a lower flow rate more appropriate for carpet cleaning.

This way you can have your cake and eat it too.. Hot water AND UN-restricted flow. It was an easy swap on my rig but I'm not sure about yours.. shouldn't be too difficult

I had to read that a couple time too Larry. Didn't make a whole lotta sense to me.
Good luck Zac
Bill

Last edited:

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Slowing water to pump makes no sense, a pump requires so much water at its given rpm, if not it will create a vacuum trying to get water, then the pump will cavitate.

the flow switch should be installed after the requlator, before the burner, so .....

You can get .5 gpm rated switches,

Be warned if you draw .5 gpm through a burner rated for 3-4 gpm, been there done that

I also agree with above that your wand is clogged slowing flow down.

Name
The President
I know it sounds weird but that's what they said to do.....and they use these TM's also.
My TM can get 1500 psi with 240 heat. It's mnfg to produce high heat and psi for hard surface cleaning. That's why he said get a flow restrictor. Now I'm no expert by any means. That's why I'm here asking you guys. I've checked the wand (brand new) and even took out the jets and tried to see if the burner would fire. Nothing. I'd rather not change out the flow switch since we do 90% hard surface and 10% carpet. I don't wanna lose the ability to get high psi (1200-1500) when cleaning hard surfaces. We do a lot of greasy restaurants and this psi comes in handy. I greatly appreciate all your help! I'm open to ALL suggestions.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
A new flow switch is not going to affect your tile cleaning

Most handle 10 gpm

It just determines what minimum flow to allow burner on

Do a test for yourself. Hook up turbo, run it, and turn pressure down until heater turns off due to lack of flow thru current flow switch. If you you then run turbo into bucket for a minute. That's what your current flow switch is rated at

Scott Rogers

the hardest thing to find in this situation is a fautly trigger valve or a damaged quick connect. both will cause your issue. both can be easily damaged by 230-250 heat. the only way to diagnose them is to replace or use another wand.

if you have stair tool with the same jets flow rate (8) you can quickly narrow this down.

If this unit worked before and not now it certainly isnt a inflow issue. it is a out flow issue.

You should have back up trigger valves and quick connects in stock anyway so if u have them you can switch them or order new ones now you will need them anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom