Hey rug fags a question

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
So i go to 2 different shops I found and ask them about cleaning these rugs (pics farther down)

1st place is like hell no...but we will if you sign a waiver but ehhh not really....due to the glue of having a backing

2nd place yea we can clean those, and fix that, and is all upbeat about it.....

sooooooo i'll bring it to the brain trust here and tell me what you think....

2 different customers

Has some rust issues i am guessing as well as some mildew, plus there is an area that the mildew has eaten through, it is a machine made because of the backing
2011-10-20_10-01-15_844.jpg

2011-10-20_10-01-01_782.jpg

2011-10-20_10-00-03_783.jpg

This one has pet problems....i have cleaned it a few times, no shrinking or other issues i can see, still with wool, and the amount i am sure of piss, i think it needs a good washing

2011-10-13_13-45-24_866.jpg

2011-10-13_13-45-06_209.jpg

2011-10-13_13-45-00_445.jpg

2011-10-13_13-44-50_507.jpg

This one isnt as bad....and i forgot to look under to see if its hand or machined (though i didnt know till today)

2011-10-13_13-47-12_77.jpg

2011-10-13_13-47-20_770.jpg

Basiclly the 1st place said because i have cleaned it. that i all but fooked it up..may fall apart during their cleaning process....

What irritates me more is neither one of them seems to do immersion cleaning...which if it where me, i want the piss flooded out....its all hand cleaning...

the 1st place talked about using like dove or the equivalent to hand wash it soap she said...wetf that means...

soooooo what are your thoughts??? Prices??

they both said right around $2 a ft

rhyde

Name
rhyde
All appear to be hand Tufted rugs and some of these like the pottery barn rug don't handle a real washing well,..backing separates adhesives degrade but they can be washed. cleaner # 2 seem like they understand how to handle these ....maybe?

Make sure to communicate this to the owner they have three choices; wash it and take the risk, toss it buy a new rug or live with the smell and filth

Mikey P

Administrator
Rotovax(i) the fook out of them.

those tufted beauties are like a great set of boobs, rug fags dont want anything to do with them...

shiteatinggrin

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
so are those usually cheaper???

and whats a general price for those

Nathan K

Mikey invited me back, and I had to chime in with this post's title, lol. :)
The other thing to watch for whenever you see that Kaleen tag is latex odor, which is sometimes as pungent as urine but with more of a "burnt rubber" smell. It rarely happens, but sometimes deep cleaning can intensify the latex odor. Pottery Barn has been pretty good about refunding the purchase price (as a store credit) unless pets are involved. These rugs can be washed/cleaned and the backing repaired, but they're usually cheaper to replace. I had a customer last week that paid 4K for one though, and some decorate a room around a rug, so we wash a more than a few.
Ask the shop for a basic game plan, a turnaround time, and what to tell your customer to expect as far as the end result. For the record, you didn't do anything wrong; those guys at shop1 were scared of that rug...

Mikey P

Administrator
Hey Nathan, what year did this burnt rubber issue 1st show up?

I can remember the very first time I smelt it. I blamed the vacuum's belt on the issue.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Mikey P said:
Rotovax(i) the fook out of them.
those tufted beauties are like a great set of boobs, rug fags dont want anything to do with them...
shiteatinggrin

Fooken trouble maker!
I'll clean them money is money but TM a urine soaked one and you'll look like a jack ass you wont touch the urine odor.

floorguy said:
so are those usually cheaper???
and whats a general price for those

Price depends on where you are but we dust and TM @ 2.50 wash at 3.50 I charge as much as hand made/hand wash because they are a PITA

welcome back Nate

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
well i sprayed the hell outa that green one 6mths ago when i cleaned.....and considering it looked and smelled a lot better....

mostly there is a couple of yellowish spots on the big whitish one

and that green one, with the rust....i just dont know what to do...

Nathan K

Nice to be back. :)
The latex thing started prob in the early '90's? Maybe Randy knows. If anyone ever needs RIA's bulletin on this issue, just email me; they're handy for customers to have in hand when returning these. RV might be a good way to go if we weren't talking about tufteds. Once wet, the glues get soft and tufts of wool might start coming out with the mech action. If you are dead set on handling these, I'd saturate with an enzyme/oxy bleach combo prespray - and I do mean saturate. Let it dwell for a couple hours. Extract front and back (if the backing can take it). Use a Water Claw to flush/extract better/deeper if you have one. The rust is handled just like rust in-home. Indos can take it (but Chinese rugs cannot, so this isn't "one size fits all" advice for all rugs). If the mildew really bothers them you can spray the backing with a USR type peroxide and agitate; it might improve. The problem in deodorizing these is that if Fido pees 4 oz x2 times a day, we're talking about 336 GALLONS of piss in this rug in just one year. Staggering isn't it?! Knowing that, it's easy to see why surface cleaning can activate odors - not enough source removal...
It's hard to charge enough to justify all this when the end results are unknown. Price these at Home Depot and Pottery Barn next time you're out. New they're usually $250-$500.
We're starting to see all kinds of new ones with 10-30% viscose, merc. cotton and even silk pile designs... :(
Good luck. For the record, I LOVE a good rack. :)

Mikey P

Administrator
Yeah, if the backing is loose or bubbling or yellow grit is all over the floor OR its soaked in wiz offer to roll it up and put it out by the trashcans

Or drop it off at Oconnells Rug Studio so he can invite 20 other rug cleaners over to watch him identify what tribe hand whitteld this fine and anceint piece

Mikey P

Administrator
My local rug fag loves a good rack too.

So he got rid of Dusty's flimsie POS and had a real nice one built, I meant to take pictures the last time I was over there

Ron K

Pottery Barn will take back the rug, or at least give a credit, if it does have a latex odor issue.
I agree with Mikey but make sure you fill your Vortex up with as many Latex Rugs as you can and then you can just
go to the dump with both pieces of shit.
Welcome back Nate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom