hey rug guys

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Whats the proper way to clean a chenille rug?

I was at a clients house and turned away on cleaning it. It was mainly made of cotton from India. It had a cotton backing and was held together with latex.

I wish I had pictures the rug was in rough shape, heavily soiled, and under a dining table. I was afraid of it splitting and making the backing loose more than it was by just running a wand over it. Also this was mainly red in color and did show it wanted to bleed a bit.

Do you guys typically wash them, pit wash?

Just curious is all.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You're a smart guy!

It is possible to have some success wet cleaning these, but they really are trouble. If you think the customer will be happy with the results of low moisture cleaning, great. Leave it behind otherwise.

In addition to irregular color loss, any Indian made cotton pile rug can wick adhesive to the face. Clean it over and it will discolor again until you give up and buy a replacement.

India/China origin + cotton-face fiber + hand-tufted = disposable rug.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
The Great Oz said:
You're a smart guy!

It is possible to have some success wet cleaning these, but they really are trouble. If you think the customer will be happy with the results of low moisture cleaning, great. Leave it behind otherwise.

In addition to irregular color loss, any Indian made cotton pile rug can wick adhesive to the face. Clean it over and it will discolor again until you give up and buy a replacement.

India/China origin + cotton-face fiber + hand-tufted = disposable rug.

simple equation, perfect! And unless they are really stupid they probably paif less to buy it than cleaners would cherge to clean it.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Thanks.
I normally dont screw with rugs unless they are poly.

I refer the local rug guy he seems to have the market. I dont even like running over wool rugs with a wand. I have pit cleaned a few and know the difference in results.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom