Hey Toburen....Q for you..

Mikey P

Administrator
Lets pretend John Dawn lays you off and those millions you've been socking away under your feather bed were confiscated by the Dominican Feds while you were at MF last week...

If you could take over one MBr's cleaning business, who's would it be?

and what would you change about it?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Mikey P said:
If you could take over one MBr's cleaning business, who's would it be?

and what would you change about it?
Mikey, Mikey, Mikey- where do you dream this stuff up?

Anyway, I wouldn't on either question. Instead, I'd just ask Scotty Warrington to hire me.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Seriously? I dunno ... lemme think on it.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Maybe the grass is greener but Al Bradham looks to be having a good time and making a few bucks. I respect Ken Snow but storm chasing looks pretty exciting. But, maybe that's like truck driving "See the US traveling the highways" but in small print it says you can't stop and look.
Al
Al

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
For me, that's a no-brainer.

I'd get Als Carpet Cleaning and Restoration Inc

Then go and tour Australia by motor bike. shiteatinggrin

But I'd bypass the wet tropics during the "wet".

Ooroo,

blowme shiteatinggrin

PS::: Does Sioux like touring on the pillion seat of a bike. ??

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Mikey P said:
Lets pretend John Dawn lays you off ...
Is there something going on I don't know about? Is this your way of breaking it to me gently? Go on, Mikey, spill the beans. :)

Steve "Up till now working for Jon-Don" Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS So what would I do if (perish the thought!) I had to start up a business and do "honest work" again. Hmmm ... I think I would first:

1. Start with the end in mind. This isn't just New Age guru-speak. Too many people in this business have no idea of how they want their life to play out. They are too busy running like hamsters in a cage just surviving each day. So I would look at my income requirements (not too high since we have zero debt and could dial back [sob!] our lifestyle), my physical condition, the amount of TIME per week I would want to devote to the business, the size of my my local market, the amount I would want to invest in the start-up (did the Dominican government take ALL my "millions"?) and my projected exit date on when I would sell the company.

2. Given all of the above for ME at 58 but in reasonably good health I would probably go start a "boutique" type carpet and tile cleaning operation targeting high end consumers. Yes, I know the market is crowded there but with Value Added Service and my winsome (love that word) personality I think I could make inroads. My van would be wrapped, my equipment the best (maybe it could be my severance package from Jon-Don!) and I would do lots of "personal branding". I would hire one quality helper (is there such a thing?) that would speed up my work but more importantly ease the strain on my 58 year old body. And I would run the business out of my home and bring my always cooperative wife Sioux out of retirement to charm those phone callers. And I would absolutely invest in a killer web site.

3. Would I buy/take over an existing business? I doubt it. Not because there aren't some great ones out there. But given my requirements above the big ones would be more than I want to deal with and the small ones probably are "small" because they aren't run right/ don't have my desired mix of customers.

4. So how would I do all of the above? Devour everything on SFS.JonDon.com and instead of just reading about it actually do it! My favorite Lisa Wagner quote? "Movement trumps meditation any day."

All of the above being said I HOPE Mikey is just blowing smoke and Jon-Don isn't going to get rid of me. I would miss the family feeling and sense of being part of something great that permeates their corporate culture. And they ARE very generous too! :) Plus our SFS team has been together for 15 years! Say it ain't so, Mikey!

And only because it wouldn't be a Toburen post if I didn't shill SOMETHING much of the self-analysis I did above is profiled in a Special Report I've done called "Avoiding the Road In-Between". People tell me it is pretty good and it is free:

http://sfs.jondon.com/861/resources/spe ... ad-between

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Ed said:
Boutique???? I figured you'd be more the "cafeteria" style :mrgreen:
No. Too many small operators try to go head-to-head with the big boys. If I PERSONALLY am going to be on the truck tending to the every whim of my high-end clients then they need to pay for it. And they will IF I ask for it. More owner-operators should market and price themselves as a 'boutique" type of operation.

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Yes, I know this sounds weird to the average macho CCer!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Mine is constantly changing~ not constantly changing/improving as needed is what causes many businesses to fail and size doesn't matter!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ken Snow said:
Mine is constantly changing~ not constantly changing/improving as needed is what causes many businesses to fail and size doesn't matter!

The wife been feeding you lines again? :mrgreen:

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Sorry Steve, I couldn't resist. After being off the truck for years and having childe.....I mean employees for so long, if I ever went back to cleaning carpets, it would be solo and I would charge enough to keep it that way. shiteatinggrin Only work 5 days per week. No nights, no weekends. Some days it's more tempting than others...

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Ed said:
Only work 5 days per week. No nights, no weekends. Some days it's more tempting than others...
I feel your pain, Ed. Been there- done that- thankful I'm not any more!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I always tell every SFS class: "Employees will always be your biggest challenge ... and your greatest joy- and sometimes on the same day!"

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Toburen Is an arm chair quarterback and he got off the field for a reason. You can get hurt out there! :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom