Highend Highrise Apartment/Condo Cleaning

PCCN

Anyone outside the mid-south area clean occupied highrise condos on a regular basis? Interested in what seems to work best for you. We are getting flooded with new construction of these and would be interested in seeing if it is an avenue I would want to pursue. What method do you clean with? Type of equipment? Thanks tons..........

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Hot water extraction. Truckmount if we can reach, portable if we can't. Any residential setting needs to be cleaned with a low residue method to ensure the health of the resident.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Obviously, truck mount whenever possible but that's not all that often.

I started with a pretty crummy portable and hated it, then I upgraded to one of the newer high performance portable with auto fill and dump 500 psi and hated it a little bit less. Not that it didn't clean well just that it was a pain finding separate breakers, it was obnoxiously loud inside these units and hoses and cords running everywhere was a pain to deal with and on top of it all worrying about water spills.

Eventually I bought a crb, not for anything to do with the high rises but just to agitate all my jobs in general. After seeing what the crb was capable of I started experimenting with running a crb followed by bonnets on my 175 and I was getting excellent results. I'd say just as good as the high performance porty but with much better dry times and none of the issues mentioned above.

Now I'm going all out with vlm on high rises and ordered a Vario OP machine from excellent supply. I'll keep the porty for when necessary or when someone specifically wants hwe but it will cost them extra.

It helps that very few of these units allow pets at all and they are generally not too trashed.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If it's a highrise- Portables.
I charge more than when I can do it with a truck mount, as it takes a lot longer. Though I don't know your pricing structure and what your market will bear.

If you're so inclined you can do the whole horse and pony show like Willy does. At least two vac motors- three stage each + heater etc. However that is very time consuming and requires more electricity.

I skip the heater but use the powerful vacs + pre-spray + high pressure rinnse. Works well for me.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
WAAAAAA! Geez, you guys make it sound sooo hard. It isn't.

First step is getting it all in one load. This is a 500 psi dual 3 stage, 35 feet vac, 50 feet pressure, heater, 4 spotters and rinse, hydroforce, and dual cord heater.
phone096_zps89dff8a2.jpg

Next is finding power- machine cords to kitchen, one to counter other to stove, one heater cord to bathroom plug in, another to a wall. Very rare for me to blow a breaker. In some places I park the machine at the door in the hall and use one of the hall plugs.

phone091_zpsfe184230.jpg

Pull your hose away from the machine and get that area in front of it done first. No tripping over hoses or cords.

phone091_zpsfe184230.jpg

Enjoy the view

Photo0035.jpg

101_0427.jpg

Attachments

• phone091_zpsfe184230.jpg
    phone091_zpsfe184230.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 128

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree multiple trips are just a time killer. 1-trip is our goal too but we have 2-techs so its a little easier. Although they aren't quite as motivated to use a portable as Willy is.

I could make a big ole long list of porty issues but I think the two that bother me the most is "Sound" and "altering the indoor environment".
Its loud and very annoying for the operators, can you imagine how the homeowners suffering though it.

Couple it with hot, humid, sometimes funky exhaust air and I'd much rather use OP if that's an option depending soiling level. :errf:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Next is finding power- machine cords to kitchen, one to counter other to stove, one heater cord to bathroom plug in, another to a wall. Very rare for me to blow a breaker. In some places I park the machine at the door in the hall and use one of the hall plugs.

As said, here are the choices:

1. You can do the whole horse and pony show as Willy does. God bless & all etc. Before deciding, however, do check the progression of his posts here through the years. It may help you decide if following Willy's Way is a risk you're willing to take. :winky:
  2. Hack it like Chavez and all his name sakes.
  3. Or- Find the middle way as described by anonymous.

Your business. Your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolly Llama

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Do yourself a favor, and avoid the shame of showing up to a residential unit with nothing more than a floor machine and a bucket of bonnets.

If your serious about capitalizing on this new opportunity, pick up a dual 3 stage/500 psi adjustable porty, and start familiarizing yourself with using it.

The key to successful, and bearable frequent porty use is not so much the basic operation of the unit, it is in the efficient movement, set-up, operation, and break-down of the unit and accessories.... AS A WHOLE.

The difference between a successful, sane porty hack, and someone from..let's say....KANS-ASS..., is that the seasoned porty hack has streamlined their set-up/operation/break-down sequences to be most efficient.
This does not happen in a day, and it is not for everyone. I'm coming up to my 4th full year at this, and I am still constantly tweaking things.

While someone from KANS-ASS is too busy bitching about the pain of constantly filling his porty with buckets, he fails to see the very simple solutions available, as Willy showed a little while back with his simple fill hose direct to the sink.

The only reason someone from KANS-ASS complains about his stinky porty, is because he believes everyones porty is stinky as his, but never put in enough porty time to figure out that there are very simple solutions in addressing waste tank hygiene, and to control offending odors.

Those are just 2 examples.

Porty use is by no means easy, but it gets easier with time if your willing to invest it.

Compliment your porty with a small, lightweight Oreck Orbiter (I love this damn thing), with a pad/bonnet assortment, and you will be delivering great results every time, regardless of the condition.

It's not rocket surgery.

View attachment 4773

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I love Rocket Surgery!

What is it, Frank?

And are you willing to perform one, say, in Kans Ass?

Last edited:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I love Rocket Surgery!

What is it, Frank?

And are you willing to perform one, say, in Kans Ass?

I would love to.

In my professional opinion, I believe a Trans-Orbital Lobotomy will offer the greatest chance at a "normal" life given the patients abnormal condition.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruff

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Post of the year.

And in my humble opinion- First class diagnosis.

You've done Chavez Water Damage and Constipation, proud.

PCCN

Lots of great feedback guys. Thanks much! I have a decent porty now but I guess I need to upgrade to one with hoses attached to help carry everything in one trip.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Do yourself a favor, and avoid the shame of showing up to a residential unit with nothing more than a floor machine and a bucket of bonnets.

If your serious about capitalizing on this new opportunity, pick up a dual 3 stage/500 psi adjustable porty, and start familiarizing yourself with using it.

The key to successful, and bearable frequent porty use is not so much the basic operation of the unit, it is in the efficient movement, set-up, operation, and break-down of the unit and accessories.... AS A WHOLE.

The difference between a successful, sane porty hack, and someone from..let's say....KANS-ASS..., is that the seasoned porty hack has streamlined their set-up/operation/break-down sequences to be most efficient.
This does not happen in a day, and it is not for everyone. I'm coming up to my 4th full year at this, and I am still constantly tweaking things.

While someone from KANS-ASS is too busy bitching about the pain of constantly filling his porty with buckets, he fails to see the very simple solutions available, as Willy showed a little while back with his simple fill hose direct to the sink.

The only reason someone from KANS-ASS complains about his stinky porty, is because he believes everyones porty is stinky as his, but never put in enough porty time to figure out that there are very simple solutions in addressing waste tank hygiene, and to control offending odors.

Those are just 2 examples.

Porty use is by no means easy, but it gets easier with time if your willing to invest it.

Compliment your porty with a small, lightweight Oreck Orbiter (I love this damn thing), with a pad/bonnet assortment, and you will be delivering great results every time, regardless of the condition.

It's not rocket surgery.

View attachment 4773
Frank its not my porty that stinks. I mean I've never taken a dump in the "dump tank". Although I may have thought about it. :lol:

Its the water extracted from the soiled carpet that makes it funky.......you monkey!
:p

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I knew from his first few posts years ago, Frank was/is a sharp duud...he ain't a rookie no-mo
he's a veteran worth paying attention too
alright, that's enough sucking up to that Sh1tcity NY hAck.....

lemmie ask, why can't you leave that noisy porty in the hall or on a patio?
or at least exhaust all that hot moist air out a window or into hall?

That's certainly an option in many hi-rise condos

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

First step is getting it all in one load. This is a 500 psi dual 3 stage, 35 feet vac, 50 feet pressure, heater, 4 spotters and rinse, hydroforce, and dual cord heater.
phone096_zps89dff8a2.jpg

I'd love to see Willy manage that contraption over a sidewalk and up a hill. You must only take jobs where you can pull right next to the service elevator :winky:.

And get yourself some cool cuffs, so that you can join the hose ends together. That way people will not be able to track you down following your drip trail.

Are you from Kans Ass, Willy?

Last edited:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Lots of great feedback guys. Thanks much! I have a decent porty now but I guess I need to upgrade to one with hoses attached to help carry everything in one trip.

Not too many units with an integrated hose, and that may only limit your choices.
Only ones I can think of are a few US Products (Those white ones) models that I personally would steer clear of.

Two extension cords and a solution line should be pretty east to attach, especially if the unit has a hose hanger accessory.

It's the placement of a coiled 25-30 foot vac hose that requires the figuring out.

Once you have your machine and the hose section together, it's just a matter of figuring out how to bundle everything together.

The trick is keep everything "thin" enough to slip through most standard lobby doors and to use a standard elevator without getting "hung up".

Entry doors to individual units are usually a tighter squeeze, but I never try to roll right in, but like to stop in the hallways, assess the job, and then bring in and place components individually. There is usually a lot less room to navigate once inside a occupied unit as opposed to common areas, and your less likely to damage anything.
At the end of a job, as each piece broken down, I usually place them out to the hallway one by one, where they are out of the way, and I have ample room to safely and comfortably package everything together and be out.

This can save a lot of time and frustration, and can help maintain at the least a basic level of sanity.

View attachment 4776

Reactions: Willy P

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
lemmie ask, why can't you leave that noisy porty in the hall or on a patio?
or at least exhaust all that hot moist air out a window or into hall?

That's certainly an option in many hi-rise condos

..L.T.A.

One of the first things to figure out on any particular job is to assess the layout of the apartment, and decide the most efficient way to attack it, because you don't usually have the benefit of one long length of hose that will reach everywhere.
Most often than not, the machine has to be relocated a few times during the job, and you never want to be too far from your water source and toilet for obvious reasons, so being able to efficiently dump/fill and relocate while managing 2 plugs, a vac and solution hose requires some thought before starting. Setting up in a hallway would most likely require twice the vac/sol hose length, and a longer distance to fill/dump, which is the killer. A 12 foot fill hose connected to a sink, and the ability to re-fill quickly without buckets is a major time saver.
Adding some type of exhaust hose to what is already somewhat of a clusterfook is just another obstacle. Most two vac machines are going to have two separate exhaust ports on different locations. On my M-5 there is one directly out the rear and one exhaust straight out the bottom which makes it even less feasible.

I usually open windows as I prespray. It's never a problem as the place should be ventilated anyway for drying purposes regardless of the equipment being used.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I found the 30-35 feet hose to be a little short for me. I use a 50. Yes, it also works better for me, as I keep 50 sections on the truck mount wheel anyhow.
A little more cumbersome to handle, yet saves me time in the cleaning, as in many places I can locate the machine in bathroom and be able to reach everywhere without moving the machine. Saves a lot of time.
And with a good two x 3 stage vacuums, you will still have great vacuum.
Also, when possible I like to keep the portable in the bathroom, as commonly there are some drips etc, that are much easier to deal with in a tiled bathroom.

As Frank said. I wouldn't go for the machine with the integrated hose wheel. What you'll gain in convenience, you'll lose in the size and how cumbersome the machine will be. Getting it all in one trip is great, however an extra trip from van to elevator is not that difficult if necessary and will only add a few minutes.

Larry, when you put in hallway it makes it nice and pleasant where you clean. However, it also brings the manager (pronto) and plenty of complaints from the neighbors. And most clients in these situations prefer the noise inside than having to deal with the neighbor's complaints. I never (at least the last 25 years) had any issue (neither my clients) with the "hot moist" air. To begin with, we are in the business of putting (and yes, extracting too) a lot of moisture into their carpeting.

Last edited:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Also, when possible I like to keep the portable in the bathroom, as commonly there are some drips etc, that are much easier to deal with in a tiled bathroom.

Unfortunately, I don't come across too many bathrooms that I can squeeze my over-sized M5 into, and still be able to maneuver my fat azz around inside.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I'd love to see Willy manage that contraption over a sidewalk and up a hill. You must only take jobs where you can pull right next to the service elevator :winky:.

And get yourself some cool cuffs, so that you can join the hose ends together. That way people will not be able to track you down following your drip trail.

Are you from Kans Ass, Willy?

Nope. Why in God's Green Earth would I want to live in that barren dust bowl? And have neighbors that just Chavez on their fat asses all day? No thanks!
After a while, it gets pretty simple. The heater probably weighs in at 30 pounds and keeps the buckets pretty stable. I keep spotters and rinses in quart bottles so the heater just rests on top. I do park in the loading bay or trades parking spots at most buildings. The one thing that pisses me off the most is uneven elevators and 3 story walk ups without an elevator. I do things pretty much the same way Frank describes it. First step is getting the machine filling, laying out pressure lines, priming pump, hook up to heater, prespray, rollout vac hose, clean , dump waste water, vac out left over water in fresh tank, coil up hoses and cords, roll on to the next one. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom