Hired 4 Of The Finest This Week!

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Well, the finest Buffalo has to offer anyway... :yawn:

Hired 2 office cleaners for a current customer that is growing God forbid and 2 commercial carpet/tile techs for a new contract that starts monday. All part timers, the FTE's = 3 .

We ran 2 ads in newspaper online/monster for a month, 112 resumes, 21 interviews= 4 hires.

Next on the agenda is a commercial lead tech that we need very badly, almost desperately and in july a residential tech depending how things go. Plus i will continue to interview all next week and stock some draft picks, one of them might not like it or whatever.

Can't wait for this weekend, that's for sure.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Well, the finest Buffalo has to offer anyway... :yawn:

Hired 2 office cleaners for a current customer that is growing God forbid and 2 commercial carpet/tile techs for a new contract that starts monday. All part timers, the FTE's = 3 .

We ran 2 ads in newspaper online/monster for a month, 112 resumes, 21 interviews= 4 hires.

Next on the agenda is a commercial lead tech that we need very badly, almost desperately and in july a residential tech depending how things go. Plus i will continue to interview all next week and stock some draft picks, one of them might not like it or whatever.

Can't wait for this weekend, that's for sure.
Two good principles in there, Shane, that we now usually promote: (depending on circumstances, of course)

#1- Hire more part time employees instead of one person full time. Why? Your eggs are not all in one basket because you are spreading the risk among several people. Plus especially with late night and weekend work full time tends to burn people out. And with part time you only work them when you need them instead of desperately inventing "honey-do jobs" just to give an employee the 40 hours you promised them. This strategy IS more work on management during the hiring/ interviewing phase but pays off in the long run.

#2 "I will continue to interview all next week and stock some draft picks"- super smart. "Desperation hiring" never worked out well for me! That is the beauty of part time people. They can keep their full time job while they wait for the call from you giving them extra income. I wanted to literally have a line of "pre-screened" applicants waiting to work for me. HINT: Stay in touch with these folks with an occasional email.

Steve

PS Congratulations on your growth, Shane.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Definitely prefer pt for commercial work,we need the flexibility. Plus full time is a whole another level of costs with health insurance, retirement.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Definitely prefer pt for commercial work,we need the flexibility. Plus full time is a whole another level of costs with health insurance, retirement.
Yeah, I always wanted my people "hungry" for extra hours. But if you are working them full time with lots of overtime anyway there are no "reserves".

Steve

PS Shane, I'm sure you know Papa Nick's slogan: "Hire slow and carefully. But once you realize they are not working out fire fast." It never gets any better than the first two weeks. (Sounds like marriage, doesn't it?) :)

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yeah, I always wanted my people "hungry" for extra hours. But if you are working them full time with lots of overtime anyway there are no "reserves".

Steve

PS Shane, I'm sure you know Papa Nick's slogan: "Hire slow and carefully. But once you realize they are not working out fire fast." It never gets any better than the first two weeks. (Sounds like marriage, doesn't it?) :)

Thanks Steve!
In the middle of a company makeover this year tackled sales/marketing earlier in the year and now am focused on admin/operations.

Somehow became stuck in the dreaded "road inbetween " for the last year and finally started to chip away at it, should be completely revamped by fall.
Kinda fun once you start to get into it...

Mikey P

Administrator
so who are these part time workers who are able to come to work when you snap your fingers?

are they not always searching for a full time gig?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
so who are these part time workers who are able to come to work when you snap your fingers?

are they not always searching for a full time gig?

Right across the board...

1. is a student
2. is retired
3. has a full time job but just bought a house and became married {he is so screwed}
4. Trades stocks and has some internet business

A good part timer usually only lasts 3-5 years then they move on.

All kinds of reasons, many many adults have gone back to school and an extra $1-2K month part time fills in the gaps. Saving up to buy a house, paying down credit card debt, etc...

Reactions: Mikey P

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
One more thing, i have been advertising for 6 weeks now for these positions. 2 ads in print job finder and 2 newspaper online, monster, cost about $500. Took a lot of work behind the scenes to read hundred resumes and interview couple dozen people. This is some serious work, not as easy as it sounds.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
how many have moved on to become your competitor over the years?
Currently I've gone one as a competitor and two tech's that moved on to other companies. I laugh every time I see them.

The competitor was a decent cleaner but I bet it's much harder to run a company than he thought. :lol:

The tech's well neither were bad but both were damn whiny and the late hours and on call got to them. Maybe they don't work late or weekends for their new employers? :icon_rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom