History of carpet cleAning?

G

Which one of you ne'er-do-wells know the history of professional carpet cleAning? The invention of the fiRst TM and all tHat KindA stUfF?

In my nEvEr ending SeARch for KNowledge about all things dealing with the Service IndusTRies and hIstories I FiGURed it was Time TO fINd Out.

WHo WAs THe FIRSt CaRpEt cleAning fRAnchISe?

HOw EFFeCTIve werE the FIRst HWE CC MAchINes?

I GOttA knOW thIs!!

WHAT WEre the fiRst chems aNd PreSPRAys?

HoW HAs ChEmIStRy ChANGed?

WHo IS uP to THis CHALLENge?

In the meantime I will be Listening to this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H6Vw402IaII

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
The very first of carpet-cleaning machines was first brought to light in 1869. It was called the “sweeping machine” which was invented by Ives Mcgaffey. Not long after that, in 1901, Hubert Cecil Booth came out with carpet-cleaning machines with a British patent, which was a rather large horse drawn, gas driven machine. This would often be seen parked outside of businesses that were being cleaned; the hose would be pulled through the windows of the building to where the carpet was to be cleaned. Eventually the machines were made smaller and easier to use. It would take a whole corps of people to move these large machines from one business to another

The first of portable carpet-cleaning machines came about in 1907, invented by James Murray Spangler. He found he was getting ill from the sweeping machine and went to work on fixing the problems of the dirt and dust being put back into the air. He was the first to use a cloth type filter with attachments for cleaning. He got the patent for his “portable electric Vacuum” in 1908 and sold it to a gentleman we have all heard of, William H. Hoover. Hoover® carpet cleaning machines are one of the leading brands sold still today; at one time or another every household had a Hoover.

The Air-Way Sanitizor introduced the first disposable bag “filter fiber” in 1920 in Toledo, Ohio. This was perhaps one of the best parts of the carpet cleaning machines invented. Another name well known to every household is Bissell. Anna Bissell and her husband Melville ran a crockery shop in Michigan. Melville has severe allergies from the sawdust and Anna fought hard to keep the establishment dust free for him. Melville eventually developed the first carpet sweeper which got it’s patent in 1876. He later went on to create carpet-cleaning machines, which incorporated the use of detergent and water to clean carpets. These carpet-cleaning machines were introduced in the early 1950’s. Bissell products are sold in more than 60 countries today.

G

umm, AnYBOdy eLSe?

What was the FIrst FrAnCHise and the FIRst mOderN Tm?

Name
Deborah Lema
Horsedrawn.jpg

Horse-drawn vacuum, used in 1910s & 20s.

Our company's been around a long time and has collected a lot of history of the industry. While its too much to digest in this venue, I thought I'd throw that picture up here as it's kind of fun.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I believe the FIRST carpet cleaner mighta been the carpet beater.....they pulled the carpet over a clothes line....an' beat it wit a wire device that had a handle.....?

HAPPY NOW?

John Watson

Should have been at MF08 and you might have heard answers to your questions.

Maybe a great evening section for nexts years MF09.

I enjoyed all of MF08 but Them there Old farts had some stories and was a highlight to me..

Love to see a panel with or chapters in a book named "As I Recall"
By Lee Pembertin, Jimmy too, Bill Bane, Fritz Rench Tom Hill, Glenn Twisp, Bob Hughes, David Bergin, Ann Argo, Jim Roden, Judson Jones, Wanda York, Arlen Knight and yes even Jeff Bishop.

Be some great debates, discussions and wonderful entertainment for us that appreciate the History of our chosen profession.

I have deep regard for all that I have mentioned whom I also have had the pleasure of meeting early in my career. I am also positive I have left some out, I will remember at 2AM and let you know..

MR CHRISCONNER I can understand spelling problems but I guess I am going to call you a total dumbshit if you gots ta play wid da kaps key liks a bungholler!!

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I seem to recall the Deep Steam machine being the first steam cleaning portable in 1966. My Steam Way portable I think was made from 1968. Steam Genie was in there somewhere too. Steamco, Steamatic, Steammagic are some names that come to mind. I am sure someone who was paying more attention would know for sure.

Later on the truck mounts became the way to go.

Loren

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom