P1010003.jpg

P1010002.jpg

Whatever you do, do not let your machine freeze. NOT GOOD! :(

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Shane T said:
I always thought pipes expand and bust when frozen. What caused these to collapse?

metal will expand with heat.when we would replace bearings on tapered motor shafts we would take a small camping stove and heat up oil and put the bearing in it and get it as hot as we could then take the bearing and it would just slide all the way down on the shaft and when it cooled it would lock it's self down....most metal ..when it it gets to cold will contract ...more so if it was warm or hot before it started freezing.......but I believe it is copper that will expand and crack..........

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I get that Jim, but when water freezes it will expand. I would have expected that to be the case with a frozen exchanger.

jimn

What happened was the water encompases the inner portion of the large outer diameter tube around the smaller tubes that the engine exhaust travels through. The unit froze, the water/ice expanded, crushed the inside tubing AND expanded the outer 1/4" thick SS outer tube by almost 1/2". This unit must have been soo cold that it was frozen solid.

When water freezes in a closed chamber, it expands and has to go somewhere.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
The collapsed tubes look very uniform, I wouldn't expect that. Did a small leak cause the exchanger to fill, then when that froze it collapsed the tubes?

jimn

The bizarre thing is that the heat exchanger is the only item that broke as far as we know. :roll: I can only assume that hoses and brass parts are going to prematurely break from the stress. What a mess. :cry:

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Was this just one overnight freeze, or more? I would expect it to take at least 2 or 3 freeze/thaw cycles to collapse the inner tubes that much.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Jim,

Is that the same exchanger as on my Freedom 47? The exhaust travels through the smaller inner tubes?

(Mine still leaks. Didn't freeze here in Southern California.)

jimn

Johnny said:
Jim,

Is that the same exchanger as on my Freedom 47? The exhaust travels through the smaller inner tubes?

(Mine still leaks. Didn't freeze here in S. California.)

Johnny, It is very similar. The exhaust heat exchangers can usually be repaired if there is a minor leak. The end caps need to be cut off @ the welds to expose the tubing plate. This will expose the inner plate for the tubing. If there is a leak, it would be apparent with staining or water marks. Are you sure it is not condensation coming out?

Please let me know..

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Jim,

Definately solution, not condensation. Drips from the exhaust connection of the exchanger onto the pump. Frequency increases with pressure. A rag placed in front of the muffler will become damp within a few seconds.

jimn

Johnny said:
Jim,

Definately solution, not condensation. Drips from the exhaust connection of the exchanger onto the pump. Frequency increases with pressure. A rag placed in front of the muffler will become damp within a few seconds.

Call me, we will get you taken care of..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom