Holes in Cleanco waste tank

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Finally pulled the waste tank from my Cleanco to inspect the leaks. Found major holes all along the bottom. Still undecided if it can be welded or if I can apply some sort of epoxy. Will have to be sand blasted first to see all the damage.

PXL_20211030_204812295.jpg PXL_20211030_204757819.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Considering an aluminum epoxy like Gluevit but the bottom is like Swiss cheese. Looking at a proper welded repair first. A couple of holes are larger than 1/4 inch.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
This is going to take more than JB weld or small amounts of epoxy. The bottom and lower sides have multiple holes and many pits that will become holes. Have to sand blast first to see the extent of the damage. Probably going to weld new aluminum to the bottom and plug and epoxy the sides.

Reactions: Hack Attack

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
This is going to take more than JB weld or small amounts of epoxy. The bottom and lower sides have multiple holes and many pits that will become holes. Have to sand blast first to see the extent of the damage. Probably going to weld new aluminum to the bottom and plug and epoxy the sides.
my alloy tank had similar issues as yours, they tried welding new alloy but kept blowing through corroded areas

I ended up getting new ss tank fabricated instead

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
I haven't ever had issue with my 'marine grade' aluminium water tanks. My fresh water tanks of the same material are another story. Those are where the sacrificial anodes would be helpful. Softened water destroyed the insides in a matter of a year or so.
In the long run, replacement with a new tank would have been the way to go. I went the ss route for my freshy tanks. I credit the longevity of my vac tanks to our 7.8 ph Roto-Static Cleaner.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I haven't ever had issue with my 'marine grade' aluminium water tanks. My fresh water tanks of the same material are another story. Those are where the sacrificial anodes would be helpful. Softened water destroyed the insides in a matter of a year or so.
In the long run, replacement with a new tank would have been the way to go. I went the ss route for my freshy tanks. I credit the longevity of my vac tanks to our 7.8 ph Roto-Static Cleaner.
Makes me wonder what the prior owner was putting in there. I had one other tank repaired but it was in service for 34 years. This one is only 19 years old. Do acid rinses add to the corrosion? Someone using bleach to clean it periodically?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Makes me wonder what the prior owner was putting in there. I had one other tank repaired but it was in service for 34 years. This one is only 19 years old. Do acid rinses add to the corrosion? Someone using bleach to clean it periodically?
I think ours was 12 years old or so. I believe not thoroughly washing the tank out and leaving sediment in the bottom damaged ours. ???

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
23 year old tank lid. Inside of vac tank still has white powder coating intact. I purchased a spare AquaTech unit out of BC, and after washing out the insides of the tank of greasy residue, was pleased to find an almost new condition vac tank.
The previous owner must have cleaned a lot of restaurants.

20180602_110659.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Once the metal is that far gone you need to replace. Sandblasting will probably leave gaping holes. I'd cut the bad metal away so it isn't left as lint catcher at the bottom of your newly repaired tank.

PS: Common fix is to weld a tank lid to the bottom of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom