Home improvements

-JB-

Name
JB
So I call a guy to get a quote on drywall, and paint in a 10 X 12 room, trim on door and window, framing and electric is done, wants 3K, seems a bit high, is that fair?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
JB said:
So I call a guy to get a quote on drywall, and paint in a 10 X 12 room, trim on door and window, framing and electric is done, wants 3K, seems a bit high, is that fair?

maybe, maybe not, JB

Does that include materials?
quality of work?

Just like CCers, not all contractors are created equal and pricing can vary wildly

there's a lot good contractors 'round 'cheer that are hungry right now.
Many that wouldn't monkey with a small job like yours a couple years ago and are now bidding any work they can get.

You might get some referrals and make a few calls to some other contractors in your 'hood and see how prices vary

..L.T.A.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Thats a little high, but so is .60 sf for CC. If they do good work and can be in and out in 3 trips or less. They could do it in 2 days if they hang drywall, tape with hot mud and texture on day one. Then install trim and paint on day 2 and be gone early afternoon.

You could hang the drywall and pay to get it taped & textured and do the trim. Then you paint it.
If you hang the drywall have a least 3 guys or rent the celling jack and make life easy. Good tape & texture is a art. They make it look so easy, worth the money not to have the wife nag at your work.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Well figure it would be a 2 day project. Drywall, tape, mud one day. Sand, paint and trim the next. Labor and materials ?

JB is it an addition, or a room added on inside that already has a ceiling, or is that a part of the drywall ? ? What type of finish are you getting on the drywall, flat or textured ?

If they're only doing the walls - you'd have two walls 10x8(assuming the ceiling is 8' high) which means you'd have 160 sq ft to cover. The two 12x8, giving you 192 sq ft to cover. Total of 352 sq ft; divide that by 32 sq ft(4x8 sheet of drywall) and you get 11. So you'll need 11 sheets of drywall to cover that area, I'd get 12 or 13 to be safe, incase of any oopsies.

Reason I'm saying is maybe you'll want to invest in some of the materials, and contract someone to do the labor and it'll be cheaper in the long run for you.

I recently drywalled a room inside of a house. Framing was done, and it was also 10x12(x8) for a nursery. Took about 5 hours by myself, and then taped and mud took another hour or so. Sanded and painted the next day.

Becker

Name
Becker
Just one bid?

Why not at least 2, then get referrals.

Check with the state if you have the resource, to be sure the guy you want to hire is bonded and has a good track record.
You can check with the BBB. but i don't thing the BBB is today what it was designed to be.

True referrals are honestly your best research.

Cameron1

It's not only high...... it's sky high.

I had three rooms plus hall done for less than that three years ago.

-JB-

Name
JB
Does that include materials?
quality of work?

Yes, and yes, referral from my Dad the pickiest SOB you'd ever meet.

That's a little high, but so is .60 sf for CC.

ZING! I hear ya, it's just one a those things where I had a number in my head before he quoted, not sure if it was realistic, but nonetheless, a number.

Reason I'm saying is maybe you'll want to invest in some of the materials, and contract someone to do the labor and it'll be cheaper in the long run for you.

I hear ya.

Just one bid?

So far. Was hoping it would fall into my magic number zone, getting more now.

It's not only high...... it's sky high.

That's what I thought too, what can I say I'm not the type of custy I would be looking for if I wasn't a CC, there is NO WAY on earth I would ...
That's a little high, but so is .60 sf for CC.
and I aint the cheapest CC round . Priorities I surpose.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
here's a thought..

call a dry wall contractor .....50 to .60 cent a SF is the average rate to hang board and finish
(includes material)
With new home construction market in the dumps, there's a whole lot of hungry dry wallers right now
Find one

Call a painting contractor.
You should be able to get that room primed and painted for $200 to $500 max including materials

The millwork..
Why only one door and a window?
Where's the base board?

if just one door and one window, buy a pre-cut door case trim pack and nail it up yourself
Window molding ani't squat either.
if you don't have a miter saw, buy a cheap plastic or wooden miter box and back saw.
Cut it yourself and nail it up
You'll have less than $100 bukz in that project

or throw a couple cots in the room and me and Cody will come up on a weekend and knock it out for $2000......cash...plus a bag full of McDonalds double cheeseburgs....no pickles on the burgs..

..L.T.A.

-JB-

Name
JB
:lol: :lol:

PS. our housing/building/home improvement is NOT in the dumps here, definitely booming!

I guess being on the BACK of the housing boom had it's benefits after all.

Had two custys today alone dumping an easy 30k into their kitchens as we speak.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
it does seem high but i dont know you labor rates for you region. if i were you, i would find a subdivision that is new that is currently building homes and get me some labor direct and probably spend half of what they are quoting you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom