Horse Hair rugs

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I have a client that is calling me over in a week or so to take a look at two horse hair rugs..anyone have any idears? I have never seen one much less cleaned one.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Most likely the customer misunderstood something because honest horse hair rugs are pretty rare. Horse hair is short and slippy - doesn't spin into yarn very well.

Maybe horse hide, but who knows what a designer may have come up with?!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I can't help any on this, Jarrad
and since one of the Grown Ups that we can count on here for the Straight Dope has already chimed in...... I hope you don't mind a bit of thread shift regarding horse hAir....

did they used to make carpet padding out of horse hair back in the day??
We did a rehab on a home that was built in the late '20s/early '30s .
I suspect the wool carpet we pulled was original .
Under it was some kind of padding that "looked" like hair fiber (???)

was it??

Thanks

..L.T.A.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I have seen older rug pad made from horse hair and other animal hair. When it got wet it was a breeding ground for bacteria and mold.

If this rug is truly horse hair, it would not use any moisture. Maybe a good dusting or some Host.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Ron Lippold said:
the horses around here today are getting rained on. water seems fine to both horses and cows....

Put one of those wet horses in your living and see if you begin to notice any unpleasant odors.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Usually spring or after a very rainy period, our horses occassionally will get a dry rot on their backs and chunks of hair will fall out.

It does grow back in time, but water (a fungus?) damaged what ever glue ( !gotcha! ) held it in.

John Buxton

I turned down one 2 weeks ago. It was a hide from a horse kinda like a bear skin rug would be. I suggested they try a weak solution of woolite and lightly wipe it.

gavin

sounds interesting, just when you think you might have seen it all. post pics when you get them.

have you ever cleaned the home made twisted fabric rugs?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
How about a Zebra?
DSCN3840-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom