Hose Puller.......

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Had one of those jobs Friday........the guy wanted to help, or "hold or pull the hoses". Nothing makes a job harder or longer than a hose helper. This guy is retired, and used to do the maintainence for his companies offices. I guess he just "wanted to help", and I didn't have the heart to ask him not to.....he was really getting into it. Was an empty house, so nothing to juke around. I'd pull on the hoses to get into a corner, and he'd follow right along.

I did enjoy watching him change his hold from hand to hand, because the solution hose was just a bit too hot to handle with out gloves.

His experience was with Host.

Oh.....and he threw in a $40 tip.

Reactions: Jay_wat and GCCLee

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
and I didn't have the heart to ask him not to....

I find it greatly depends on the person.

If there is anyone I feel worthy of a "pass", I find it to mostly be "old" men.

I can remember the feeling I had as I watched my father grow older and weaker, and lose his ability to be as active as he used to be, and I know I will be there some day, as we all will. I can imagine that at this point in life, small accomplishments and a feeling of being part of "something" are very important, as these opportunities become fewer and far between.

When faced with a "volunteer" of this type, I see no benefit in becoming annoyed and getting all bent out of shape over something so simple. Life's too short to be aggravated by some old guy trying to help me. A little extra time and patience on my part, to me, is a worthy investment with great returns.
To me, it all pays off after genuinely acknowledging their role in the process, and sincerely thanking them for the help. You can usually see it their eyes, and feel it in their handshake, that you have made their day.
Kudos for having the heart to let him help..............not to mention the 40 beans extra.:rockon:

Win-Win if you ask me.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I can appreciate your comment, when they hold it wrong the wand is so much heavier and harder to move.
But I agree with Frank, one day "we" will be the old guy that wants to help. Next time just tell him how you like it done and thank him.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I agree with you guys.....I'll be there someday. The thing about this guy........he really enjoyed "helping" with the hoses. He was an unassuming, plain looking guy, but upon further review, he started telling me about all the classic cars he owns, from Stingrays to old 40 Fords, and the new lake house he built, a place to take all his girlfriends, ya know? Not all filthy rich people are beautiful.....it pays to treat everyone respectfully. He was a blast once I got him going!

Reactions: ruff

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Guy trying to be helpful or not....they stand a chance of tripping over your hose..burning them self....or slipping and falling......its just not worth it....

I lay my hoses out a certain way for certain reasons....don't touch my hose........

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Frank you just had a Ken Snow moment. Thanks for making this board better today. This spoke to me.

I find it greatly depends on the person.

If there is anyone I feel worthy of a "pass", I find it to mostly be "old" men.

I can remember the feeling I had as I watched my father grow older and weaker, and lose his ability to be as active as he used to be, and I know I will be there some day, as we all will. I can imagine that at this point in life, small accomplishments and a feeling of being part of "something" are very important, as these opportunities become fewer and far between.

When faced with a "volunteer" of this type, I see no benefit in becoming annoyed and getting all bent out of shape over something so simple. Life's too short to be aggravated by some old guy trying to help me. A little extra time and patience on my part, to me, is a worthy investment with great returns.
To me, it all pays off after genuinely acknowledging their role in the process, and sincerely thanking them for the help. You can usually see it their eyes, and feel it in their handshake, that you have made their day.
Kudos for having the heart to let him help..............not to mention the 40 beans extra.:rockon:

Win-Win if you ask me.

Reactions: GCCLee and Russ T.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
what I hate is when people try to help untangle the hose pile as I am rolling up the hoses on the reels. They can't untangle them and feed them anywhere near as fast as I can just roll them up on the reels. an untrained hose puller does get in the way. even people I take to help on jobs that haven't worked with me that much seem to always leave too much or not enough hose behind me. I hate having the hose yanked, I have to tell them leave a curl in the hose on the floor behind me, pull the rest.

Reactions: Zee

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I appreciate and understand both sides of this issue of the "hose puller/helper"

But I personally don't like and don't want to have anyone (customer) helping..

Like Jim said too: what if that person trips and falls over hitting his head against a marble table? What if he gets burned by a qc?

What if he wants to hold a hose standing on the stairs and not realizing how much hose we need to work with and as the hose being yanked a bit, loses balance and tumbles down the stairs breaking hips neck collarbone etc...?
At that point I'm sure we all would wish the guy wasn't helping. Especially if he was rich...because you know that he will be able to find and pay for a better lawyer too.. he will not be such a friendly cool guy when hurt and perhaps embarrased too in front of you.

Not to be too much of a downer...but we can talk and enjoy company if he is just nearby without helping. I tell them its a legal issue -unfortunately- in today's America.

steve_64

when i cleaned the new office for the chinese massage parlor a couple weeks ago there was a chinese guy who didnt speak english there. he kept helping with the hoses. i tried to get him to not help but gave up and just thanked him instead.

got a fifty dollar tip too.

sometimes you just have to accept the things you cannot change.

i miss ken...

Back
Top Bottom