Hotmatic water heater

RUGMAN1969

Hey guy's
We received a hot-matic heating unit via UPS today it would seem that the coil has frozen and busted...Can these be taken apart and repaired or is it worth trying?????

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Freezing the coil can range from a crack in the weld (good news), to a wide split open tube (bad news).

But in quite a few cases also it can expand the tubing, thinning the wall (decreasing the life and the pressure capability.

If the coil is salvageable, use "Harris 15" silver solder.

You'll have to remove and inspect the coil to see if it is ruined.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Was this a new or used heater and what moron shipped a heater to Indiana in the winter with water in it cause that's the only way to freeze a coil.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Man, thats rough, I hope mine arrives OK. I got a used Savage heater coming from Ohio. It has the steel coil, but I made sure he blew it out real good with compressed air before shipment. I hope it makes it.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I am with kevin on this...why in the world did it have water...

for 1 the freeze problem..

for 2 makes it weigh more so the shipping cost is higher

Kelly

once a coil or heat exchanger has been through a really hard freeze, especially hard enough to split part of the coil, its history. You might try and get it welded or soldered or something to buy more time or to hope to get some use out of it. But its been my experience in the past that freezing a coil or a heat exchanger significantly shortens the units life even if some one says its "fixable" or not. Do yourself a favour and get a new one. Sorry to hear about your bad luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom