housekeeping customer claims our vacuum snagged $6k carpet!

tim

I havent seen the carpet yet, but a housekeeping client called our office today claimiing our vacuum snagged their 3 month-old carpet in about 6 places, ruining it. :shock: I dont know if it is wool, berber weave or what but we have to meet with him today to look at it. Are there any GREAT repair people I could bring in to fix it? Should I contact a carpet inspector first? We looked at the vacuum used on this job and there are no rough peices or broken parts. It seems people like to blame the cleaners for anything missing, broken or askew :evil: At 6 grand, I need someone very experienced in repair to save a big claim.

harryhides

Name
Tony
All of the repair expertise is in the Tool Box Room.
This is not difficult stuff to learn and these skills will not only save you in situations like this but will be just anther profit center for your business.
I've done several jobs like this for maid services up here.

Take a good look at their vacuum cleaner and at their pets.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
With three month old carpet snagging, I would almost guarantee an installation issue. There was probably no seam sealer applied on the cut edge of a seam.

Yes, it can be repaired. But I would get an inspector in first and try to place the blame where it really should be.

Check with local distributor if he holds classes and locate someone who has attended a carpet repair and reinstallation class from Barry or Steve.

Scott Warrington

P.S. -Since carpet inspection was introduced to this thread - How many carpet or flooring inspectors do we have on Mikey's board? Would there be interest in having a room to discuss inspection related issues? I really miss Fred Gambles inspector bulletin board.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Yes, I also miss Fred's board, learned a ton on that board.

Tim, Steve is teaching a repair class in Kansas City - Interlink, next week.

Scott is right - 3 month old carpet - its a manufacturing issue most likely.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'd let them know you've inspected your equipment and found no flaws that would lead to carpet damage, but you'd be happy to look at the carpet. If you're reasonably sure you aren't at fault and they don't want to listen, suggest they hire an inspector. If their inspector says it's your fault then you can hire your own or pay for the repair.

The customer also may know you're not at fault, but is looking for you to either pay for the inspector or be the inspector that will get the retailer/installer to fix their problem.

PS: I think with most service contractors the reasonable approach doesn't work. After several reasonable calls are ignored, the customer gets angry and demanding. A guy will finally show up to fix the problem, all the while muttering under his breath and acting like he's doing you a personal favor to actually do the job correctly.

This customer may just be short-cutting the several reasonable calls part of the process.

GRHeacock

I think it is reasonable- and fair- to check their vac for snags, belt on wrong, etc.

I would do that before admitting liability.

Of course, the carpet still needs fixed, either way.

Gary

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
GRHeacock said:
I think it is reasonable- and fair- to check their vac for snags, belt on wrong, etc.
Gary

While you are checking their vacuum cleaner, look for a run of carpet fiber wound around the brush. See if it fits the damaged spot.

Scott Warrington

Back
Top Bottom