How are you keeping employees from stealing? Working for cash - not reporting it.

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by jcooper, Dec 23, 2017.

By jcooper on Dec 23, 2017 at 9:02 PM
  1. jcooper
    jcooper

Name:
    Jerry Cooper
    Cleaned for some wonderful "gray hairs" a few weeks ago. Super nice people, happy to work for them. Start blabbing away with the fellow and he informs me how he didn't like the last "large(but not the largest)" franchise they had out for the cleaning.

Guys cleaned the upstairs, like the invoice said. Cleaned the downstairs, deodorized & protected for cash. Custy didn't like this, but still took the deal and I don't blame him.

As someone hopeful of getting an employee(not family) someday, I found this very disappointing...

Hard and expensive enough to get the work and these guys are stealing for the boss, his family, the biz, etc.

Other than after cleaning calls how would an owner/boss even know? What are you doing to stop theft?

Have a great Christmas, fellas(and ladies)...
    Russ T. and Matt Wood like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by jcooper, Dec 23, 2017.

1. jcooper
      jcooper

Name:
      Jerry Cooper
      To someone knowing they need to get off the truck at some point, employee theft is definitely surprising and disappointing.

Would those of you who have encountered employee theft blame it on - employee feeling underpaid(even if paid well) or just screwed up kleptos ?

Some of that stuff you couldn't make up! Unreal.
      Russ T. likes this.
    2. cleanking
      cleanking

Name:
      Jordan King
      We track all of our company vehicles with GPS and everyone knows we use it everyday to check on progress throughout the day.
      All of our customers (in-plant rug cleaning and on-location) get follow-up phone calls to check on how the job went.
      In 10 yrs of being in business there has only been 1 guy that got caught, did some extra work for a $50 CHECK made out to his name. We did our usual follow-up call and the customer explained how she thought it was weird HE ASKED for cash for part of the work, but she didn't know any better and obliged. 22yr old kid had been with us a year and was doing a great job, we had stuck our neck out for him when he had car trouble (loaned him a company truck for over 2 months) and helped him get, move into, and furnish his first apartment. He came from a rough family.
      We let him go that day we spoke with the client, it was a really hard thing to do, it was less about the $50 and more on principle.
      You won't catch it all the time, but I agree with others here, eventually that stuff will catch up with you and you'll get caught.
    3. Jim Pemberton
      Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.

Name:
      Jim Pemberton
      There are a number of social and values issues here that could be discussed from political podiums and religious pulpits.

In our own experience in our business, it came down to these factors:

1. Spending Habits: People too readily buy things without thinking of the consequences until they are out of money with bills to pay. Its easier to "do cash work" than rob a bank or a home, and people don't realize that the acts are equally immoral and illegal.

2. Gambling Habits: I have seen gambling addiction ruin people's lives nearly as badly as drugs and alcohol.

3. Drug Addiction: Its nearly impossible to manage drug addiction costs without theft.

4. Doting parents: Just because an employee themselves are "addiction free", understand that some have children who are a mess, and they need money to take care of, bail out, or actually buy the drugs for them. Many parents set aside otherwise impeccable scruples if they feel they have a child that they have to save.
      hogjowl, Lee Stockwell and Cleanworks like this.
    4. The Great Oz
      The Great Oz

Name:
      bryan
      For on-location cleaning and delivery we keep an eye on time versus scheduled workload for the day. We talk to our guys about some of the ways we check on them during the training process, and ask about discrepancies as soon as we see them.

GPS and sensors that show the unit running work well too, as long as the GPS is attached to the truck. A friend said he tracked his techs through their tablets until he caught a guy leaving his tablet in the bushes on a real job site while doing a side job, then found out that 7 of his 10 employees were doing side work using his equipment. He said it was pretty hard getting the upcoming work done with only three techs.

Far more common is cheating on time. Guys don't seem to equate that with stealing from the company.
    5. Brian H
      Brian H

Name:
      Brian H
      In my experience, it has also been that they don't equate that to stealing and look at as more of and entitlement. Since they are doing the physical work, they somehow justify it as being okay. In all the cases I referenced above, the stolen money did not go to pay for basic needs, it just funded a more lavish lifestyle.
    6. AJR
      AJR

Supportive Member

Name:
      Whatshisbutt
      GPS and set production rates. We expect $100 per man hour on job site. We run a spread sheet with this info daily. Pay increases are based on meeting the production quota. Selling protector helps meet the quota. I have run residential routes myself and hard to hit that quota all the time without selling protector.

Also let your employees know your trucks have gps. I sometimes tell them I couldn’t get them on phone and when I do get with them I say I saw they where a while longer than expected on a stop and ask if they ran into trouble.

If they know you are paying attention to the work they may think twice before trying anything.
    7. Gold Star Cleaning
      Gold Star Cleaning

Name:
      Adam Valencia
      Switch to online bill pay through your CRM. That way they just pay you with card for shown itemized services eliminating cash and check. Also, instill in your employees from the start that your team does a 3 day follow up call back on the services rendered. If you do this you will find out quickly from the custy what additional services they performed and they will tell you with ease with many thanks. Notifying your employees of this will place a sort of watchful eye over them, should they try to up sale without notification first.
      Mikey P and jcooper like this.
    8. KevinL
      KevinL

Supportive Member

Name:
      Kevin Leach
      Hey Matt, I used to audit gas stations some years ago and the way most stores keep their cigs from being stolen was to have employees count every pack and carton at the beginning of each shift. It sounds hard to do if you have a lot but if you make a form with categories for each section and with a little practice it gets easy. It sounds like your folks don't have the place anymore but maybe someone can use this info.
      Matt Wood likes this.