How bad does it look to revise a quote?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I put a quote for 400 bathroom regrouts some months ago.

We did one sample yesterday and one today.

I want to increase the amount (10%) of the original quote. There have been no contracts signed or even any kind of commitment on their part. They'll probably look at the samples and go from there. May or may not hear from them and it may be months.

Should I do it?.

Albert

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It wouldn't bother me at all.

You have a valid reason why it should change.

If they think it's too much they can always put it back out for bid.

Name
Nate W.
I'd raise it the 10%. You demo'ed it and may need extra's not calculated for.

Did they give you a time frame when the work was to be completed?

I'm tossing around the thought of putting a time limit or expiration date on estimates. Some like to wait too long and it's more work for you. Things that weren't there before, show up and cost you more time.

Billy

Name
BH
We always have a 2 -4 week time limit on all Estimates & unless we include an exception clause we always honor Quoted Estimates or as someone else said decline to do the job if really not good for us.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Nate The Great said:
.... a time limit or expiration date on estimates. Some like to wait too long and it's more work for you.

'zaccally

Al, did you give them a written estimate/quote or verbal??
no matter, really.....either way, if you need to change it, let them know sooner rather than later
and preferably face to face, not over the phone or e-mail

Personally, I hate changing estimates if the work scope hasn't changed.
There's been a few times I've had to, though.
Generally it's cause I forgot to add something like a sofa or 2 dozen office chairs, etc.
But if you need to change it, just be open and honest about the reasons

"Mr/Mrs So 'N So, unfortunately I need to change the quoted price due to it being a WAY bigger PITA than I originally thought"

well...maybe work it a "little" differently .....

..l.T.A.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks for the feedback.

As bad as I did not want to I told the lady today that the quote would have to change if they're thinking on going with us. Nothing has been signed and though it was my bad it's better putting my foot in my mouth now then have to eat this up. Could you image, 400 regrout.....OMFG. Some of the grout apparantley has been skimmed with caulking, that and the hard water build up is so bad that only a razor blade will remove it.

Lesson learned, do a demo before giving a quote of this scope. Or give an estimate / range until testing.

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom