How do the mills apply protectant??

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
As I understand it, we can never apply protectant as well as the mills do.

"IF" that is true, why?
and what process do the mills use to apply their protectant?

..L.T.A.

TimP

They actually submerge the carpet (yarn before it's actually woven into backing I believe) in the protectant in large vats.

Same idea as how the dye the carpet.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
In all the mill tours I've taken, the protectant has been added after tufting and dyeing. The spray jets are at optimum size, controlled distance & pressure, yielding very even coverage. But the curing process is probably of the greatest difference. The controlled heat curing of the finish creates a durability that is hard to duplicate on installed carpet.

TimP

I stand corrected again.....as I've never been to the mills just hear it from the reps.

John Watson

The most common way I have seen in my mill tours (5 or 6)over the years has been applyed it in a foam like consistancy just before it goes into the ovens. I have also seen spray bar set ups but with the foam bath they said they could control the coverage and use less product to obtain the desired results.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Shawn and John are both right. The protector is applied through the spray jets and baked. The acid dye blockers are appled in a foam system.

Meat we will have another CCMT class at Tandus 9C&A) carpet mills in Dalton in February. The class has tours of several plants as part of the class. It is very nice that instead of watching tufting on a Power Point you can open the door and walk into the tufting plant. Additionally you will be listed on the Tandus referral list.

The Preacher

Mr Garger told me that it would void the C&A warrenttee if i used a cimex on their product!!! :shock:

PS the carpet was rarely vacuumed, spill control was almost non-exsistant and the walkoff mat system could have grown a garden, BUT IT WOULD BE US WHO WOULD VOID THE WARRENTEE IF WE ENCAPPED WITH A CIMEX??? :roll:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Danny Strickland said:
Mr Garger told me that it would void the C&A warrenttee if i used a cimex on their product!!! :shock:

PS the carpet was rarely vacuumed, spill control was almost non-exsistant and the walkoff mat system could have grown a garden, BUT IT WOULD BE US WHO WOULD VOID THE WARRENTEE IF WE ENCAPPED WITH A CIMEX??? :roll:

Yes Danny,
That is true. They are the only mill that doesn't like the Cimex. They love encap but with a CRB. Why don't you come to the class and argue the point with him. He will be teaching it.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
As Shawn & Bill have stated, the good mills do use heat in their curing process.

However, there is one advantage on our side.

We can utilize a solvent-based fluorochemical on the carpet. That gives us a better stating product than they have.

The other variable is removing all the soil and debris from the carpet fiber.

But, I am am sure the Vortex and other big box trucks can handle that little detail.

Larry

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
PS the carpet was rarely vacuumed, spill control was almost non-exsistant and the walkoff mat system could have grown a garden, BUT IT WOULD BE US WHO WOULD VOID THE WARRENTEE IF WE ENCAPPED WITH A CIMEX???

Doesn't sound like a job for encapping anyway.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
And here I thought they had illegal immigrants standing next to the machines applying protector with pump up sprayers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom