How do you apply grout sealer

I seal grout this way..

• I dont, takes too much time and or people wont pay.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • On my knees with a bottle/brush

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Standing up with one of those blue tubes

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Standing up with one of those PVC tube/brush things

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Pour on and move around with a mop, buff off.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Hands and knees with that drip wheel. The Kid only has a good 15 minutes or so on the hard floor like that. The Kid isn't really a kid anymore.

The Clean Machine

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
We install a bunch of larger floor tiles. We use a hand pump up from Sherwin-Williams to squirt it on in rows and wipe up with a microfiber mop. You stay on your feet the entire time.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
This has been my only problem with tile work. I apply a product like Scotchgard Tile and Grout Sealer with a trigger sprayer set at stream and hit the lines and let it set for ten minutes then remove the sealer either with a microfiber pad or use a cotton bonnet on my 360i. It's slow going, and sometimes I don't get all the sealer off the tile and have a difficult redo removing dried sealer. I need a better method.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Spray the whole floor with grout sealer. Squeegee into the grout line. Towel off excess. All done standing.

bildung

Name
Noel Jones
Get the blue applicator tubes with rollers from the supply house. Use one in each hand and criss cross the grout lines.

Done quickly, standing up, with minimal sealer waste.

Put a microfiber bonnet under each foot to skate off the excess. Then lightly and quickly steam mop any streaking.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
y8u8ybag.jpg

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Tried the blue stick several times, jeez the thing is made for a 5 foot person and floods. I strap on my leather knee pads and brush solvent based fluro material on. Goes quick, hell the floor's clean. Huge opportunity for a new/better gadget.

Mikey P

Administrator
This has been my only problem with tile work. I apply a product like Scotchgard Tile and Grout Sealer with a trigger sprayer set at stream and hit the lines and let it set for ten minutes then remove the sealer either with a microfiber pad or use a cotton bonnet on my 360i. It's slow going, and sometimes I don't get all the sealer off the tile and have a difficult redo removing dried sealer. I need a better method.

I'll film the next floor I seal.

Larry Cobb will finally be able to buy a new shirt from the increase in Ultraseal sales.

Mikey P

Administrator
Get the blue applicator tubes with rollers from the supply house. Use one in each hand and criss cross the grout lines.

Done quickly, standing up, with minimal sealer waste.

Put a microfiber bonnet under each foot to skate off the excess. Then lightly and quickly steam mop any streaking.

One in each hand?

I bet you can juggle too.

I'd love to see that.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Larry cobb
link1.gif
will finally be able to buy a new shirt from the increase in Ultraseal sales.
Forget the shirt he needs some dockers to cover those legs! He does live in Dallas doesn't he....the sun does still shine there doesn't it? :p

Hit the beach Larry, a couple of days in the sand and you'll be fine! :winky:

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Hands and knees with that drip wheel. The Kid only has a good 15 minutes or so on the hard floor like that. The Kid isn't really a kid anymore.

The Clean Machine

There is no reason to get on your hands and knees. Tape that bottle to a broom stick and just walk behind. Fast and precise.

Reactions: Russ T.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Time........how much time do you spend sealing the grout..........are you making money for the time that you are spending.......

How much sealer are you wasting pouring it all over the floor just to seal grout lines...............???????????

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I use the same method as Mikey but will let him post his video. I learned from Mikey and Tom Meyer and was very optimistic but after trying it you won't catch me with a grout stick.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Time........how much time do you spend sealing the grout..........are you making money for the time that you are spending.......

How much sealer are you wasting pouring it all over the floor just to seal grout lines...............???????????

Spraying the whole floor surely causes some waster but we squeegee most of it into the grout lines. It's just faster and more thorough. The little bit of waste is more than made up for in saved labor.

Reactions: boazcan

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Spraying the whole floor surely causes some waster but we squeegee most of it into the grout lines. It's just faster and more thorough. The little bit of waste is more than made up for in saved labor.

I knew it was possible!

Betcha get pretty good at how much sealer to throw down after a few under the belt huh : )

Name
Steve Lawrence
I knew it was possible!

Betcha get pretty good at how much sealer to throw down after a few under the belt huh : )

Yes. you do. Plus, it is difficult to apply too much as any excess in the grout lines will get absorbed pretty quickly. Try it. You do need a good squeegee from the jan/san supply. We use a s.s. pump up sprayer.

Reactions: GCCLee

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
All of the above, depends on grout lines and type of tile.

For chicklet type or commercial in general spray/squeegee.
Residential- wheel or grout stick {if its not broke}

Really not a fan of spraying anything in residential, try to keep it to a min.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We teach a spray technique using a solvent-based sealer with a microfiber mop to even the spray.

If you don't want to spray, then an applicator bottle feeding into the microfiber flat mop.

It does use more protector, but regardless of the floor tile material,

the fluorochemical will lessen staining, and make the entire floor easier to clean.

Larry

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I invented my own...( still waiting on the paper work to get done before I toss it out there)....me a a few others have been testing it for sometime now.....I sealed..just under 1000 sqft.....( grout likes only..2 coats )...in just under 30 min.......no bending...stooping...dripping....no waste....no mess at all....

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I invented my own...( still waiting on the paper work to get done before I toss it out there)....me a a few others have been testing it for sometime now.....I sealed..just under 1000 sqft.....( grout likes only..2 coats )...in just under 30 min.......no bending...stooping...dripping....no waste....no mess at all....

I'll test it some for you, if you some more feedback. We go through a couple gallons of sealer a week. We make our own solvent sealer. Works awesome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
I think an expandable idea is something like the Wagner paint roller. The kind you fill with latex and then squeeze the lever to force paint into the roller. I had an old one in my garage and tried in few years back on a quarry tile restaurant floor where they had installed quarry in the front of the house. Probably 800 sq and it went quick. Never did it again but hum...., it see Wagner has several more models now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom