How do you clean wool area rugs ?

Moser Bros.

Does a wash pit clean wool rugs, better, is there more of a risk of damaging the backing, and is it nessasary.

I vacuum both sides, Cimex, steam clean with glide, post pad with bonnet pads, then rake.

Mikey P

Administrator
I think your process is fine for maintenance cleaning on 80% of the rugs you see out there.

I would suggest a soft water rinse and drying them flat over painter plastic as well.

The Rug Snobs will be along shortly to shame you into taking every door mat you see to a qualified immersion plant.

Al

There are LOTS of clients who would rather have the rug cleaned in place, with a good in home system you can wow clients who thought they had to roll their rugs and lug them to the cleaners. Yes you can beat more soil out in a shop but you can also do a real nice job in house. You can make more in the rug plant but we do well with in home cleaning.

We pre vac, shampoo, steam and force dry for most wool rugs.

8)

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Submersion or plant cleaning can certainly do a better job of cleaning on-location cleaning. But there are many reasons that a rug may be cleaned on-location. I don't know that i would agree with the 80% Mike suggested, but many customers will be OK with Cimex and/or HWE.

Be careful of yor process when using Cimex on wool. Don't want to pull out those staple fibers.

Scott Warrington

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Careful of a rake on rugs... can leave some of them pretty ugly!!

I don't have a pit, yet. But I do do almost all rugs at our shop. I don't have a Badger either, yet. I probably do similar to you except I don't usually post pad every rug and my grooming is usually done with soft brushes and or cotton cloths but all by hand.

Swing over to therughub.com for more info and to find the people Mikey was refering to :lol:

John

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
i take the sheep and put them in the tub... wash them with a bit of head and shoulders on them then its outside with the dirty beasts

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I explain to most of customer the difference and so far they all have decided for me to clean them at their house. Who is to argue with the custy? :D

I have talked some into sending out a couple that I just did not want to take the risk on.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Mikey definition:
Rug snob = Those who know how to clean rugs, ie: not a hack that added "rug cleaning expert" text to their carpet cleaning van without bothering to learn anything about rugs. :roll:

Your method is probably fine, although improperly used a Cimex, a rotary pad and high heat can all damage a wool rug. Assuming some skill with the tools used the chosen cleaning solution should be appropriate for use on wool.

How do you clean wool area rugs ?
There are so many types of construction using wool that this is not possible to answer.

You can complain that this is a Rug Snob type of unhelpful response, but I could give ten good answers and all might be wrong given the missing parameters.

Does a wash pit clean wool rugs, better, is there more of a risk of damaging the backing, and is it nessasary.
No. The wash pit won't automatically make for better cleaning without the additional knowledge of how to use it.

Yes. For most rugs use of a pit or a flatbed rug washer will yield results far superior to any other cleaning method, even if you use the other method in your shop.

Yes. More water generally means better cleaning but can also increase the potential for problems, particularly if you don't know much about the rug construction or don't have a way to get the rugs drier again.

Depends. Whether you need to wash a rug depends on the type, soil load, customer expectation and whether you care if the customer thinks you're an expert rug cleaner.

Some rugs should be cleaned in place, and many can be cleaned in place if that fits the above criteria. Few rugs can be thoroughly cleaned in place though, and it is rare that a rug of value can be properly cleaned in place. Being able to identify which rugs can be cleaned in place, those that should be cleaned off-site, and those that should be subbed to a rug cleaner is critically important if you want to avoid the expensive "learning by buying ruined rugs" type of education.

Back
Top Bottom