How do you close a phone call

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
My number one way is to ask

"Do you have a particular day you would like to have it done"..something like that.
As soon as they figure the day, I list a time and they go for it.

Closes a closeable call everytime.

what's yours?

Have I asked this before? I can't remember five minutes ago.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
We assume they want it right away, if we ask them when they want it done they can say "next winter or next month" when we want it done tomorrow or within the week. So sometimes they say wow you can do that fast? or "Well we were looking to do it when we move in 2 weeks".

Okay Let's see, we have the 15th and 17th available.
15th sounds good.

Our time slots are 9-10am or 1-2pm.

Than say Great! and repeat "Ok James, we have you down for..."

In the end we say "...and your email is...?"

Email marketing is key to the initial phone call. Once the work is completed we ask "Would you like to get a printed copy of your receipt or have us send you an email". If we forgot to get email the 1st time, this is our way to retrieve it without asking "can i have your email?".

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
As soon as I say $90.00 or more, they say I will call you back or I need to talk to my husband. Everyone is looking for the $79 whole house special now.

I'm in shock when I book a new customer now. It's like 1 out of 9 calls now that I book.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
tmdry said:
In the end we say "...and your email is...?"

Email marketing is key to the initial phone call. Once the work is completed we ask "Would you like to get a printed copy of your receipt or have us send you an email". If we forgot to get email the 1st time, this is our way to retrieve it without asking "can i have your email?".

I agree that it is important to get their e-mail. But if you just flat-out ask for it a substantial number will refuse which is a bummer for two reasons- first, this puts the customer under pressure and is a bit of a downer PLUS you still don't have their email.

Sooo let me tweak things a bit. After booking the job say, "Right now I'd like to e-mail you your how-to-get-ready-for-us checklist. What e-mail address would you like me to send it to?"

Two reasons why this technique works. First, you are adding a sense of urgency as in "right now" plus you are giving them a Valid Business Reason for needing their e-mail address.

Island Boy
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS "It's like 1 out of 9 calls now that I book." Ouch, Louis, that's not good. (understatement.) IF you implement this phone script I guarantee you'll do better than 1 in 9. The download is here:

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/175 ... one-format

No charge for the information but I would appreciate hearing back on how it worked for you and any improvements you make to the system.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I took the email line from one of Howard's videos. It has worked every time not 1 person has given me a hard time about it. I should've added that I also tell them we will be sending an email confirmation prior to the appointment. I personally don't always say this as I have someone taking all my calls. Just all depends, but me personally never had a problem with people saying..."why should i give you my email", now if i had asked "can i have your email?" might've been a different story.

You can also ask when your obtaining clients info, ok your name, and address, phone, "and your email is"...it's pretty simple no one will hesistate it, i guess it all depends on the person on the phone asking the questions. If you're confident about what you're speaking of, the client will hear it in your voice. We aren't order takers in this business.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
When closing I give them 2 choices.

Such as: Which would be better for you? The end of this week or the beginning of the next week? Tuesday or Thursday? And then, Morning or Afternoon?

You assume the sale and the client reserves the appointment with you instead of calling several more cleaners.

It's the old controlling the conversation by asking questions until you lead the client down the path to the sale.

This is a easy and simple way for even a novice tech to increase the bottom line.

Basically the same way to make an easy close at their house.
Would you prefer the Teflon wall to wall or just in the traffic areas?

Bob Foster

Dave that's old school crap.

I'm amazed how many people who are trying to sell something still think their potential customers will fall for this 50 year old sales closing technique. Many of today's consumers would find your sales techniques offensive.

Steve T, I like your style.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bob.

How can you determine the clients interest, wants and needs if you don't ask questions?

By asking questions you don't have to be brash, or pushing.

Just be conversational and truly have a sincere desire to help the clients and then you both will win!

BTW this old technique is not 50 yours old. It's as old as man itself.

It's called: helping others by asking questions because man as a species has not learned how to communicate telepathically yet.(You can't read your clients brain except by asking questions)

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
lol!

I agree, Bob. How many times has someone called and before you've even expressed an interest in what they sell, often within seconds of answering the phone, they want to know which is better, Monday morning or Thursday afternoon, for the salesman to stop by? An assumptive close like this is obvious manipulation and a sad excuse for salesmanship. It's the fastest way of losing my business. Why would it be any less insulting to my customers?

When someone calls we assume they're ready to make an appointment. We don't assume everyone is someone we'll end up doing business with. We're qualifying them as much as they're qualifying us. We do our best to present a professional, confident image and an accurate price range. Either they like what they hear or they don't. If it's not what they want to hear why snooker them into the schedule so they can call back the day before and say, "Um, sorry. Something came up, I have to cancel. I'll call back to reschedule." It still happens, I had one the other day. Young gal with an empty condo she was getting ready to rent and a limited budget. I almost expected it and wasn't surprised. Why encourage it?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dave,
I agree that is an offensive way to do it. I have had plenty of sales people try that crap with me and it just shuts me down.

Even when I say "Do you have a particular day in mind" I always say "we have an opening that day if you would like to schedule."

I think what I do is just bring them closer to the reallity of actualy doing it and then encourage them to take the next step while still leaving a way out if they really don't want to do it.

I'm with Wayne, I have turned away 3 or 4 price shopper, ghetto, get something for nothing ass losers this week and was happy to do it.

I am only talking about the potential custy that I am happy with as well.

I don't know about you guys but I can almost always tell from the first words out of their mouth what kind of call it is going to be.

I can almost tell what city they are in.

I never push the hard sell, but I sure as hell don't let a great call get lost to another cleaner.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Well, if you think Yocum's answer is corney, just listen to mine.

I try to just be natural. I speak to them like I am talking to my wife or a family friend. I don't act formal and I even joke around a bit. Not too much, mind you, but I keep the conversation light. I always, at some point towards the end of the conversation, ask if they would like to schedule the job, but I don't offer specific appointment possibilities. I just say something like, "would you like to schedule an appointment?" (I made that up myself.)

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Since I am not in the phone book and not listed in directory assistance , newspapers etc etc They are already prequalified because they had to of heard about me from another source. I answer as many questions as they want answered and they always I mean always ask what my schedule is like so I ask what works for you and I will tell you if I can accomodate that time and day. And go from there. After they book I ask if there are anyother questions and if they say no I say feel free to call me if any come up, thank you and we will see you on such and such a date have a great day

My work speaks for itself

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The way I work things now...I really never have to tell a customer "Sorry I can't fit you in on that day".
If it's a regular, I will work it so one of my quality guys can do it...but that customer is usually ok with working with me to fit them in on another day if I am booked.

By "Quality Guys" I mean the ones I have been working with long enough to know how they do things and trust them with my best customers.

I really try to find quality guys everytime...but I really need to try them out first.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
admiralclean said:
Well, if you think Yocum's answer is corney, just listen to mine.

I try to just be natural. I speak to them like I am talking to my wife or a family friend. I don't act formal and I even joke around a bit. Not too much, mind you, but I keep the conversation light. I always, at some point towards the end of the conversation, ask if they would like to schedule the job, but I don't offer specific appointment possibilities. I just say something like, "would you like to schedule an appointment?" (I made that up myself.)

Amazing how well that works, huh? Sometimes they even ask, "When can you do it?" Sometimes they'll even tell you when they'd like to have it done.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
admiralclean said:
I try to just be natural. I speak to them like I am talking to my wife ...

Does anyone other than me find this to be a frightening thought?

Island Boy
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS So, once you actually have the job what do you do? Well, once you arrive at the site ya gotta price it, what I call a "pre-inspection". (I'll admit that for the first time on larger jobs I am partial to having a separate person pre-inspect the job but it has to be done either way- either by the tech before starting work or by a sales person- or you!)

I just uploaded a new script on how to inspect and price the job. The download is free and is available here:

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/182 ... -that-sell

I'd appreciate hearing how it works for you or more importantly what improvements you have made to the script. Thank you.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Steve Toburen said:
admiralclean said:
I try to just be natural. I speak to them like I am talking to my wife ...

Does anyone other than me find this to be a frightening thought?

Island Boy
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS So, once you actually have the job what do you do? Well, once you arrive at the site ya gotta price it, what I call a "pre-inspection". (I'll admit that for the first time on larger jobs I am partial to having a separate person pre-inspect the job but it has to be done either way- either by the tech before starting work or by a sales person- or you!)

I just uploaded a new script on how to inspect and price the job. The download is free and is available here:

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/182 ... -that-sell

I'd appreciate hearing how it works for you or more importantly what improvements you have made to the script. Thank you.

I recently hired my little brother to do pre inspections and it has worked out pretty well. He was a little green at first...it had been a while away from carpet cleaning.

We're making more money so it must be working.

I will check out the script.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom