How do you fix a CDS recovery tank?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
My 11 years old CDS aluminum recovery tank is showing signs of damage.It leaked by the welding of the sleeve of the dumping pipe. Put a ring and epoxy around it and that solved it (don't know for how long. Now it is showing signs of damage (maybe 3'x3") by the flat wall around the dumping pipe (front).

Is there a practical solution (say a few years) that does not involve a tank refurbish or a new tank?

The cost of refurbish and or new one that I was quoted ($4,000 or $6,000.) is so high that it would make more sense to buy a new machine.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I have been quite succcessful using fiberglass mat impregnated with polyester resin - 2 coats. DA sand first, and prep-clean area before glassing.

I grew up with my dad involved in building fiberglass boats. My dad was also a civilian pattern maker working at WPAFB (Wright Patterson Air Force Base).

Aluminum recovery tank used daily for 28 years, back in service thanks to fiberglass.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruff

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
My 11 years old CDS aluminum recovery tank is showing signs of damage.It leaked by the welding of the sleeve of the dumping pipe...
Is there a practical solution (say a few years) that does not involve a tank refurbish or a new tank?

Bob's solution fits your request.

Not just any tank will fit your configuration.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I had a tank from a hydramaster cds 2000 model that was severely corroded. I researched and bought a product called coal tar epoxy. First I cleaned and pressure washed the tank, then I sprayed oven cleaner on it to etch the surface. FInally I used a small roller and put 3 coats of the coal tar epoxy on it. Lasted 3 years. One spot in the tank I could actually see the black epoxy through a hole that was about 1/16 inch. As a side benefit cleaning the tank was much easier with the epoxy. If I bought another cds it would be the first or second thing I did to it before putting it in service

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That's what I wondered. I have a Butler tank you could have for a song....well with that voice maybe a a song and a dance!

Thank you Richard, that's a sweet offer. Not sure exactly how I can find out if it will work or not.I'll ask around. Or maybe someone here in the know can chip in.

I am a whiz with Hebrew songs, practically an IICRC certified nightingale.
And.............
................what kind of dance would you prefer? :winky:

:errf:

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
I'm Rick James
I fixed a hole about the size of a BB in my waste tank with tin foil and super glue. Still holding, right by the drain valve too.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
The key to any successful epoxy repair is to properly prep the surrounding surface.

Don't skimp on the prep work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom